Feed lips on mag are too long, won't work

Info, pictures, advice...
TriggerMortis

Feed lips on mag are too long, won't work

Post by TriggerMortis »

Now here is a bizarre thing I've never seen before. I went to fire my P64 for the first time and I couldn't get one of my mags to work. The slide would fall, push the front end of the bullet into the breech and then get stuck. I then couldn't get the mag out because the back end of the case was still under the mag lips. I had to take the gun apart to get it unstuck, and it wasn't easy. This happened 3 times. I assumed it was the ammo at first and I gave up on it for the time being.

THEN I tried some different ammo in the other mag and it worked fine. So I looked at both mags together to see if one was different, and one WAS. The mag whose serial number matches the gun is good. The other one has much longer feed lips, which clearly prevents the gun from functioning properly. Has anyone ever seen this before? What the heck is the deal here? Its almost like this mag was made for a different gun. I'm just annoyed now that I thought I had 2 mags, but now only have 1.

Anyway, apart from that, the gun did fine. It did kick a lot but it was manageable. I think it works well for what it needs to do.
Attachments
Mag on top has longer feed lips.
Mag on top has longer feed lips.
Left mag has longer feed lips.
Left mag has longer feed lips.
ERiC Miller
bigduke6

Re: Feed lips on mag are too long, won't work

Post by bigduke6 »

the longer feed lip mags came out sometime in early 70s(cant remember what year) and they work in the later made guns. the later made guns will use both the long lipp and short lip. the older guns only use the short. most people use a drimmel tool or files to cut the lips down so they will work in the older guns. there is a lot of info on this in the fix section.
TriggerMortis

Re: Feed lips on mag are too long, won't work

Post by TriggerMortis »

Thanks, I kinda figured it would be something like that. That's better than it being a mag from a different gun at least.
ERiC Miller