New member and new P-64 owner from Utah.

Info, pictures, advice...
surfzombie

New member and new P-64 owner from Utah.

Post by surfzombie »

Hi everyone, I just picked up my fourth 9x18 pistol on Saturday. A 1973 P64 and am looking forward to shooting it and using it for ccw. I want to know what the best overall # recoil and hammer or main spring to get? I also own a Pa-63, a CZ-82 and did own a commercial Russian hi-cap Makarov but recently sold it. I have been reading a lot of older posts on how to change the springs and such. Looks like ther is a bunch of good guys here and looking forward to getting to know some of you. Oh by the way my friends call me Marty.
woolworth405

Re: New member and new P-64 owner from Utah.

Post by woolworth405 »

I use the Wolf #18 hammer spring.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Marty, the 18# will probably do you well. I personally use a 17# with no ill-effects. It goes bang every time. A lot of folks on here won't recommend the 17#. Do as you wish.
Bullfrog80

Post by Bullfrog80 »

+1 on the 18#... I'm very happy with it. I've left the recoil spring alone in mine and think the recoil is managable...
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Bullfrog80 wrote:+1 on the 18#... I'm very happy with it. I've left the recoil spring alone in mine and think the recoil is managable...
I only change out the mainspring. I never noticed any appreciable difference by changing the recoil spring.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

There's a tiny difference that I've noticed with the recoil springs. I have the 20# one. However, the difference is so miniscule that it's probably not worth the $12 paid for the price of the spring and 1st Class mail. I do enjoy the 17# hammer spring though.
jobot

Post by jobot »

nice to see another member from utah.
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

I have the 17# hammer spring as well and it's working fine for me. I left the stock recoil spring
in and have no plans at this point of changing it out. I did order some Marschal grips and eagerly await those.

NRA Life Member

MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

I wouldn't change anything until you shoot it a few times. Mine was OK right out of the box.

BTW...maybe us Ew-tahns need to get together and burn through some 9x18 ammo.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

MakAttack wrote:I wouldn't change anything until you shoot it a few times. Mine was OK right out of the box.

BTW...maybe us Ew-tahns need to get together and burn through some 9x18 ammo.
I'm game for that any time!
breilley

Post by breilley »

Welcome to the boards and P-64 ownership!
I am one whose pistol suffered ill effects from using a lighter hammer spring. The Wolff "reduced power variety pack" includes an 18#, 19#, and 20# spring. I first installed the lightest spring, and found a marked improvement in trigger pull - however after firing all six rounds, the pistol would drop the empty magazine. Assuming some "bounce" resulting from the lighter spring, I have changed to the 19# spring and had 100% reliable function(through a good five hundred rounds, no small feat with a P-64 :)), while maintaining the better DA pull.

Your mileage may vary of course, but if you do wish to change hammer springs, I would suggest the variety-pack as it is cheap insurance against such a problem.

Again, welcome and enjoy your P-64; it is a fine weapon, probably the best bang/buck ratio in surplus firearms these days.

- Ben