Punishing recoil?

Info, pictures, advice...
saands

Punishing recoil?

Post by saands »

The 25# recoil spring mod is a marked improvement in the recoil department as it keeps the slide from slamming into the frame at the back end of the recoil stroke ... but I don't like the fact that it rubs.

I talked to Wolff and they said that they are working on an upgrade, but wouldn't commit to a date. If I can get some made to the right dimensions, I'll pass them on ...

Saands
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by duggi60 »

If Saands can get springs made up for the recoil situation I
would help with their cost as a batch of them will have to be
paid for ! Us members can make things happen if we make the
effort.
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

What do you mean when you say rubs? Is it tighter against the barrel than the original, and kind of scrapes, or what?
saands

Punishing recoil?

Post by saands »

Actually the HK spring is too large in diameter adn it rubs on the inside of the slide ... probably more of an annoyance than anything else, but spring steel is pretty sensitive to wear in that regard, so my concern is that the spring could fail over time ... probably not a catastrophic failure, but I'd just as soon do it right :o

Saands
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

So is a 17# mainspring and stock recoil spring ok? I will not be firing anything other than ball ammo of the 95ish grain assortment.
saands

Punishing recoil?

Post by saands »

That combo sounds ok to me ... you may find that the SA trigger is too light for your tastes ... it all depends on the example you have. I just ordered 19# springs for mine. The stock recoil spring is fine, and even though I prefer the recoil of the HK spring mod, I prefer the smooth functioning of the stock spring more.

Saands
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

well, I was telling my local dealer (who ordered 3 or 4 of these pistols, one being mine) about the hammer spring trick. He actually ordered a 3 pack fo 17# springs, so I was going to get one off him. If I find the SA too light, I can spend another $4 and get heavier weight ones. That being said, my 1911 has a short reach mil type trigger set at a shade over 3 pounds, so I'm accustomed to that kind of thing.
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

One more thing before I pick it up (presumably tomorrow), what should I look for? He's going to give me a choice of the 3 or 4 I ordered, what kind of inspection should I do?
b52stan

Punishing recoil?

Post by b52stan »

Setzer, most prefer the original flat grips to the makeshift add-on left thumbrest, and you may have a choice of hammers(rounded on older models), depending on the model years he gets.
Safety levers may vary in stiffness, but loosen with use, or can be smoothed.
Finish does vary, even though they are all unissued, as does the DA trigger pull, though if you are changing to the 17# spring, it won't matter.
Hope this helps,
Stan
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

I was talking function check, is there any one thing to look for mechanically? I've already ordered a set of zee grips, so the thumb rest is irrelevant at this point. Is it pretty much just find which one I like and go for it?
b52stan

Punishing recoil?

Post by b52stan »

That's about it, since I have never heard of one that didn't function properly. Just test trigger with safety on and off. SA triggers are all great, but you might compare those. The SA pull will reduce slightly(1/4 to 1/2#) with the 17# spring, so depends how light you want it in the end. Most come out 3-4# pull with the 16-18# Wolff springs.

You can also field strip to ensure slide comes off and back on smoothly. Simply remove mag, pull down trigger guard and move to left or right, and then let it rest on frame. Pull the slide all the way back, lift, and push off frame. Reverse to reassemble.

Stan
Last edited by b52stan on December 5th, 2006, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

Well, I got a nice 1972 P-64 with a round hammer today. Little wear on the muzzle, presumably holster. Otherwise great condition, clean bore, action, etc. DA is not as bad as I remembered, but still pretty rough, it's like it gives easily up to a point, and then it's like pushing a brick wall. SA very light, but tons and tons of creep. Got some silver bear 94gr fmj for it, and over all, I couldn't be much happier. Looking very much forward to taking her out for a spin. Oh yeah, no thumbrest grips.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by beasleydano »

setzer77

Congrats on the new P-64! You say you ordered Zee grips? dirtyharry is looking for a pair of original grips. PM dirtyharry if you will part with them.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by duggi60 »

Congrads on your newly obtained P64 -- enjoy the first & every
range trip with it.

;D
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Punishing recoil?

Post by normsutton »

You guy's what to talk about Punishing recoil
try one of these
357/44 BAIN & DAVIS
OR
TC CONTENDER IN 30/30 WIN
NORM
Last edited by normsutton on December 9th, 2006, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage