Punishing recoil?

Info, pictures, advice...
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

Ok, not punishing recoil, but is it controllable for rapid follow up shots?
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by beasleydano »

setzer77

You are never going to know for sure until you get one and shoot it. Go ahead! Life is too short! Enjoy!
mrcrabby01

Punishing recoil?

Post by mrcrabby01 »

I picked up my first P64 on Friday (1971)

Fits my hand good but small, I tried suggestions of pinky under the magazine, that was OK. I wouldn't call the recoil punishing by any means. I would say it is "snappy"

That was a little distraction at my amazement of the groups i was shooting. I am a decent shooter and I was putting together 6 shot groups that all touched, I did this 5 times in a row at 21 feet.

thanks for the information and advice on making this gem better.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by beasleydano »

I went to the range yesterday and fired my 1964 EG Mak, military Bulgie Mak, commercial Bulgie Mak and 1970 P-64. I used Silver Bear 94 gr HP ammo in all. Felt recoil was a little bit more with the P-64. I had a FTF with the commercial Bulgie Mak and no other problems. I shot tighter groups with the P-64 and shooting it was just more fun! After firing 50 rounds through each I put the Maks away and finished up with the P-64. Anybody want to buy a Mak?
zoostation

Punishing recoil?

Post by zoostation »

since every other topic on this forum eventually gets off topic, I thought I'd ask: how's silver bear ammo, it's relatively cheap, but is it laquer nasty like wolf?
Hi guys, new member here. Longtime collector of Sov long arms but just ordered my first 9x18 pistol, a P-64, on Friday. Can't wait to pick it up from my FFL (stupid Maryland 7-day wait).

Anyway, I've used a lot of the Barnaul ammo in my rifles. Their naming system goes like this; Brown Bear-lacquer coated case. Silver Bear-zinc-plated (no lacquer), Golden Bear-copper plated (no lacquer). All have composite type cases made out of soft steel and God knows what else. In my opinion the Silver and Golden Bear is good quality stuff for the money. Most of the Wolf stuff they make nowadays is polymer coated instead of lacquer, I don't know about 9x18 though, like I said I just bought my first one.

I still use the lacquer-coated milsurp stuff in my Mosin Nagants. I have found it works fine but every now and then I need to scrub the chambers really good. The heat of the metal seems to make some of it melt off and slowly gum up the chamber. That's on a simple bolt action rifle, I'd imagine the same thing could eventually bugger up any semi-auto pistol's action pretty good.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by nbender »

beasley, people are always looking to buy Makarovs, especially since they're getting harder to find. What do you have available?
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by beasleydano »

nbender

I have several Maks and buying more from time to time. I do not have a Russian or a Chinese but have military and commercial EG & Bulgies including a nice Miltex that I just bought and have not yet received. I have 2 nice military Bulgies that I posted in Buy, Sell, Trade.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by nbender »

I see the price of poker is going up. $275 for a bulgarian.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by beasleydano »

nbender

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Iwould rather hold 'em than sell them for less. Seriously, though, I added $25 for shipping, so $25 less for a face to face sale to MS resident in Horn Lake, MS
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

I should be able to take her out for a spin this weekend, any particular precautions, or just make sure my hand doesn't have skin flying off from slide bite?
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by bzinggg »

If you hold a Makarov anywhere near to correctly, you won't have any "slide bite". If you've got the regular grip around the pistol that all the other shooters of these guns use (we're talking literally millions of people, here) it's impossible for the slide to pinch you. Now, granted, there are lots and lots of people owning handguns nowadays that have extremely weak hands because their activities do not include anything that would strengthen their hands. Many people literally do nothing more occupationally than tap keys on a computer.
Semi-automatic handguns require a straight forearm and wrist and a firm grip to function properly, as the frame needs to be held stationary so that the slide can perform it's operations crisply. Weak grip and limp wrists cause the majority of failures to fire and most of the complaints of pain after shooting. "Limp wristing" is a common expression among shooters and range instructors everywhere.

I don't know you and I am not trying to insult you, just trying to help you enjoy shooting more and be better at it. Those computer-only folks almost all are going to make thousands and thousands more dollars than I did in a lifetime in trade and craft employment. It's just that they really need to endeavor to strengthen their hands, wrists and forearms if they wish to regularly fire semi-automatic handguns in an efficient and pain-free manner.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Punishing recoil?

Post by beasleydano »

setzer77

Congratulations on your P-64. Good advice from bzinggg. You may be pretty tense in anticipation of recoil from firing that first few rounds but you will soon relax after you realize that you have mastered the recoil and become more confident in firing the pistol. Be deliberate, be safe and have fun.
setzer77

Punishing recoil?

Post by setzer77 »

Well, got her off to the range, only had 50 rounds with me, but LMAO. No jump, no kick, but a lot of sting. After just a few magazines the web of my hand was bright red, and my index finger was a little beaten. It's a shame I didn't have more ammo with me, but she shot straight near as I could tell. Looking very forward to future visits with her. It is, dare I say, the ideal carry piece.
redfestiva

Punishing recoil?

Post by redfestiva »

I just bought and fired my P-64 today. I knew I wanted the pistol but having read alot about the pistol I was really worried about the recoil.The pistol I bought already has the spring job so the DA pull is real nice but recoil.....hmmm. My wife complains a bit about our 38 revolver hurting her hand so I thought "wait till you get a load of the P-64". Well today we fired over 100 rounds through the P-64 with no trouble. I love the recoil and my wife thinks it's less recoil than the Taurus 38 revolver with 3" barrel. Just in case , I bought a set of fingerless weightlifters gloves for her when I bought the ammo. I don't find the recoil to be a problem, however you know you don't have a whimpy little gun when you pull the trigger. (revolver in photo is not the 38)
destrux

Punishing recoil?

Post by destrux »

It does have noticeable recoil, but it's very tolerable. It's not nearly as bad as some guns. I had a Keltec P40, and the recoil on that 14oz .40 S&W was enough to make nearly anyone develop a learned flinch. I loved that gun.... despite the recoil. I sold it because I could never shoot it well. The P64 I can shoot very well.