Magazines allert

Info, pictures, advice...
kgeorge

Magazines allert

Post by kgeorge »

Hi, found this great site and finally bought p-64 with 2 mags on the Gun Show 3 months ago. First day in range - problems with feeding and jams.
Found out in the Mak forum information how to fix this problem by cut little bit a metal on the top of the magazine. I didn’t check this out in the range yet, but slide starting operating properly. Than I found recently
a new single magazine in the next Gun Show, $35.00. Big surprise!
It's different Image! Left is
original right is new. New ones has bigger open area for cartridge. And cartridge moving in the feeding ramp easy. Left ones to tight. I had problems even for first round by moving slide = jam. Anybody has problem like this? My primary gun is CZ-P01, 3000 rds no single problem.
Thank you for this great forum. I hope my information help somebody.
IMHO p-64 best gun for money per size and power. http://hotimg2.fotki.com/a/24_225/88_23 ... 2_1-vi.jpg]
Last edited by kgeorge on November 25th, 2006, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
erich

Magazines allert

Post by erich »

Thank you for posting your info - very kind of you. :)
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magazines allert

Post by bzinggg »

Remove the least amount possible to get the piece feeding well, polish the filed places with 600 wet-or-dry and a drop of water, then reblue barespot only with a cue tip.
Last edited by bzinggg on November 26th, 2006, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magazines allert

Post by beasleydano »

kgeorge
bzinggg

Thanks for the posts, guys. Great info!
krasniewski

Magazines allert

Post by krasniewski »

I just got my P-64 in the other day, and I'm having the feed problem too.

I tried filing, but I took as much as I'm comfortable with off and it didn't really help. It only happens with the magazine fully loaded.

Here's the scenario: Full magazine, slide either open or closed, I pull the slide and release, slide closes about 1/2" and then stops on the bullet. All you have to do is tap the magazine up, and it seems to push the bullet up enough to get it to feed, and the slide closes. After that, the rest of the bullets do ok. Strange... it's seems like it's more a problem of the magazine sitting too low than the top of the magazine being too tight.

Too bad... it doesn't look like you can do much to mod it to make it sit higher, short of welding an extension on the lip that holds the clip.

Any thoughts?
kgeorge

Magazines allert

Post by kgeorge »

To krasniewski
Mine 2 mags has the same problem. I'd recomend to clean mags inside carefully. I found interesting post in russian forum about mags. tweaking.
If you unrestand russian :
1. Ñíèìèòå çàòâîð ñ ðàìêè.
2. Ñíèìèòå êðûøêó ìàãàçèíà.
3. Ïðèäåðæèâàÿ ïðóæèíó ìàãàçèíà âñòàâòå ïàòðîí â ìàãàçèí.
4. Âñòàâòå ìàãàçèí ñ ïàòðîíîì â ðóêîÿòêó äî åãî ôèêñàöèè â íåé.
5. Íå íàäàâëèâàÿ ñèëüíî íà ïðóæèíó ìàãàçèíà íà÷èíàéòå ïàëüöåì ïîíåìíîãó äîñûëàòü ïàòðîí â ïàòðîííèê.
6. Îñòàíîâèòå ïîäà÷ó ïàòðîíà, êîãäà ïóëÿ íîñèêîì ïîðàâíÿåòñÿ ñ ïàòðîííèêîì, èëè åñëè áîèòåñü, òî êîãäà çàéäåò íîñèêîì â ïàòðîííèê íà 1ìì.
7. Êàðàíäàøîì ñäåëàéòå îòìåòêè íà çàãèáàõ ìàãàçèíà â ìåñòå, ãäå íàõîäèòñÿ äîíöå ãèëüçû.
8. Âûíüòå ìàãàçèí è ç ðóêîÿòêè.
9. Îáðåæòå çàãèáû ìàãàçèíà ïî îòìå÷åííîå êàðàíäàøîì ìåñòî.
10. Ñîáåðèòå ïèñòîëåò è èäèòå â òèð, è íå çàáóäüòå ïàòðîíû!
Ïðèÿòíîãî Âàì âðåìÿïðîâîæäåíèÿ ñ îðóæèåì, êîòîðîå ïåðåñòàëî êëèíèòü ïðè ñòðåëüáå, åñëè ñäåëàåòå âñå êàê îïèñàíî.
Íå çàáóäüòå ïîäåëèòüñÿ âïå÷àòëåíèåì.
Ñ óâàæåíèåì.
I'll try to translate and post this. It's very help me to fix feeding problem.
steve98664

Magazines allert

Post by steve98664 »

Looks like you have the more hollow follower on the left above. The right looks like the more sold frame follower, though I can't tell for sure. Anyhow, it looks like the hollower framed follower on the left is bent inward. I could be wrong, but I examined this very closely on mine since I have both types.

Folks have had problems with magazine seating after changing out the hammer spring for DA trigger pull. Look it up in the forum. Could your problem be related to that?
krasniewski

Magazines allert

Post by krasniewski »

Update...

I went to the range and played around. The initial loading problem seems to be ammo related. It doesn't load well at first if it's loaded with hollow points, but it loads well if I switch to FMJ.

HOWEVER, the hollow points never jam while shooting, where as the FMJ's do.

Out of 150 rounds, I had 2 misfires (could be ammo, could be b/c of the weaker hammer spring), loading problems all day.

It could be the ammo, it could be the mag, or it could be the weak hammer spring. Whatever it is, it's by far the most unreliable weapon I've ever come across. That being said, I love shooting it and it's accurate for how short the barrel is; I carry it daily on my ankle.

Next time I head out to the range, I think I'll switch out the hammer spring and see if the problem goes away.

Ugh... too bad it. It's really disappointing. Perhaps you get what you pay for.

-Mike
b52stan

Magazines allert

Post by b52stan »

Krasniewski.

Don't know if you're serious or a spammer, but messing with the original mags was only done by one guy here, and that was to try to accomodate the WORST loads for this pistol(109-115 grain). It was made for the 90-95 gr. Cartridge length is too long with most of the poorly manufactued heavy loads, meant for machine guns or pistols.

The originals are perfect for the intended loads. Been here and seen it all. Don't mess with the SUPERB original mags!!!!

Stan
Last edited by b52stan on December 12th, 2006, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magazines allert

Post by bzinggg »

;D
krasniewski

Magazines allert

Post by krasniewski »

I'm as serious as you can be.

This whole thing is really ticking me off... I have another mag coming in the mail this week, so I'll see what the deal is. It was probably just the ammo and I jacked it all up by trying to file down the mag.

oops...
truth

Magazines allert

Post by truth »

Don't mess with the SUPERB original springs!!!
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magazines allert

Post by bzinggg »

In my previous post, it should be noted that when asked about failures to feed my recommendation to slightly trim the front corners of the lips of the magazines that were giving trouble, I stipulated that the amount to be removed should be very small. It really amounts to "smoothing" because less than 1/32 of an inch removal followed by polishing with very fine grit wet-or-dry and rebluing will many times, on almost any semi-auto mag fresh from the armory or factory, benefit performance. Many, many seasoned shooters polish and trim various parts of their pistols to improve performance and reliability including the magazines.

Here's a shot of my P-64s and all 12 mags:

There are two 73s on the left and two 67s on the right. I got two mags each with the pistols, and then bought four extra mags when the opportunity availed itself on Gunbroker.com from a friend and seller there. Eight of the mags would feed the 115gr with no problem, and only four of the mags had to be smoothed.

I like the Silver Bear 115 grain, HP with the nickle-plated case and the HP bullet. I have good recoil springs on all my P-64s, never had any trouble with the slide beating the frame, the accuracy is astounding and the recoil doesn't bother me at all.
I don't think you can buy a better quality 9x18 round than that Silver Bear 115gr HP from LVE (Low Voltage Equipment) plant in Russia. The newly manufactured Silver Bear 94gr. from the Barnaul factory there is not as good a quality as the LVE 115gr nickle plated round. It has a zinc plated case, and is not sealed at the case mouth as is the LVE round. The Barnaul 94gr is very good ammo, though, and good for all your P-64s. I use it entirely at the range now and am saving the last of the LVE 115gr rounds for carrying now, both in my E.G. and Bulgy Maks and my CZ-82, and have no compunctions about carrying it in the P-64.
The LVE ammo was made in 2000 and 2002, and the Barnaul 94gr was manufactured in 2006.

Overall length is greater in all the FMJ rounds I have bought.

CCI Blazer 95gr

Sellier & Bellot and Mesko FMJs

There is little difference between the Silver Bear LVE 115gr and the Silver Bear LVE 120gr hollow point bullets in weight. One weighs 116.5 grains actual and the other 116.8 grains actual.

(115gr on right)

The OAL is less than all the FMJs on both Silver Bear 115gr and 120 gr, however, the mouth of the projectile is larger on the 120gr round. (In this image, the diameter of the cartridge on the right looks larger because of the shadow and the angle. Both are the same diameter and in every other way, except for the size of the hollow in the points.)

The Silver Bear 94gr HP is shorter than all the rest of the rounds:
I am willing to concede that, over the long run, the 94gr round might be perceivably easier on the action, extending the life of the pistol. I have certainly put my money behind that idea, in that I have purchased 1800 rounds of the Silver Bear 94gr HPs for the range and casual shooting. I would not be hesitant to carry it for personal defense if it happened to be conveniently loaded in the mags at a given time, when I needed to grab a pistol. I can shoot a 2-inch group, off-handed with any of the Silver Bear rounds at 36 feet with my P-64s (I mostly shoot the 73s now, as I am preserving the '67s, which I truly adore) on any given day at the range. I can shoot good groups with the Makarov pistols, maybe three or four inch, but the P-64 is unbeatable in the Makarov caliber for me. If someone were to push me into it, I'm sure I could shred the bridge of his nose with a clip full in the P-64. Of course, I'm old enough and experienced enough with person to person conflicts to stay cooler than the average young person, and I can and have used disarming language (pun intended), both body and verbal, to avoid shooting in such situations, which is far the wiser tact.

Opinions are like A______S, everybody's got one, but good advice is a treasure and there is some to be had here.

I am in the group that says forget spring changes to lessen the double-action pull. The pistol was made that way on purpose and is perfect and safer the way it was origionally designed. Trigger spring changes have too many negative effects on the functions performed by the action, and reduce reliability and safety. JUST DON'T SHOOT THE P-64 DOUBLE ACTION, unless you just have too. If you're in an incredible hurry to get a shot off to save your life, I promise you, you'll be able to squeeze that first round off without any trouble. Adrenalin makes it easy, and the added benefit is that you'll not shoot yourself trying to get it drawn for action. If you're new to the forum and undecided, please read "Bzinggg's Introductory Post" in the Modifications, Repairs and Fixes" section to further understand this side of the spring change argument.

The P-64 is a remarkably well-made handgun, in design, fit/finish and particularly, metallurgy. It is worth three P-63s. You couldn't get one as well-made today for less than $400.00. It is, by far, the most accurate, compact pistol available anywhere.

A final note: If you like to carry the P-64, get a couple of extra mags and give them this treatment and see if it doesn't improve the ease and strength of grip and ease of drawing from concealment:

God Bless and Good Shooting, Bzinggg.
Last edited by bzinggg on December 13th, 2006, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
krasniewski

Magazines allert

Post by krasniewski »

I guess just don't get it. Why not change out the spring if so many people say it works well? If a gun is meant to shoot double action, then it's absolutely stupid to avoid doing it. I believe one should practice shooting any any situation which may present itself, especially if you carry on a daily basis. There's no way I'll even hit a target with the MFR's stiff double action pull at anything more than point blank.

When I filed the action, the most I took off is 1 or 2 32nd's of an inch. I'm really not sure if it's the mag at all. Sometimes the action won't even close all the way when I'm shooting... just a hair shy. So many strange things happen when I'm shooting that I can't believe it's JUST the action, or JUST the ammo, esp when I've tried a couple kinds of ammo. I'll play around and keep you guys posted.

-Mike
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Magazines allert

Post by bzinggg »

I never said anything about filing the action. ???

I told you in the discourse above why not to change the springs out from my point of view. Perhaps if you were to try to read more comprehensively....