I Need a Trigger Return Spring for P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
mychoads

I Need a Trigger Return Spring for P-64

Post by mychoads »

I went and picked up my "new" 1974 p-64 today from the local ffl. He ordered 2, the other was a 1968 that had a better trigger, but looked much more beat up (especially the grips). The '74 DA trigger was impossible to pull, no joking. I only got the hammer to drop once while dry firing and that was with 2 hands.

Figuring the '74 just needed a cleaning and breaking in I chose to buy it and took it home to clean. After soaking for a couple of hours in paint thinner I began to disassemble it so I could try and see what was wrong with the trigger. What I found was a good amount of surface rust coating all internal parts. I guess they didn't put enough cosmoline in this particular gun which I found funny after reading about how most are jam packed full of the stuff.

So I got out the sandpaper along with some rubbing compound and a dremel tool and started to remove the rust and polish everything that moved. After wolf springs (20lb recoil and 18 lb hammer), some lube and putting everything back together the DA trigger can actually fire the weapon with 1 finger. Although it still is incredibly stiff right before the break.

The problem I'm having now is that the trigger spring doesn't seem to be strong enough to reset sear for single action. If I cock the hammer (or rack the slide) the trigger can be pulled once and sometimes twice without dropping the hammer, and then it will catch the sear and work properly.

Another issue is that on occasion the trigger bar seems to start to work its way sideways towards the end of the double action trigger pull which makes the end of the trigger pull even stiffer than usual. Resulting in an inconsistent DA trigger.

I intend to use this as a carry piece and these problems make it unacceptable to serve that role. I am thinking a new trigger return spring might fix both issues but am not sure how to order one. A search revealed that NORM SUTTON sells these springs. Can anyone give me some ordering info?

Do you think a weak/faulty trigger return spring would cause these issues?

Thanks
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: I Need a Trigger Return Spring for P-64

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
crzbiker

Re: I Need a Trigger Return Spring for P-64

Post by crzbiker »

Go to Norm Sutton. I replaced a hammer spring that he produced. Even came with instructions and is better than the original.