problems with Sellier & Bellot ammo

Info, pictures, advice...
richymak

Re: problems with Sellier & Bellot ammo

Post by richymak »

I'm finally back on this board after I figured out how to log in.LOL
Anyways , I'm glad you posted this. I had a similar problem a few months ago shooting my CZ-82.
I was using S & B Ball ammo .Had shot 4 or 5 mags . Every thing was great.
Then I was running through a mag and I pulled the trigger and It just made a really low poop.
The guy next to me heard it too and said,"I heard that". I said me too.
I dropped the mag and tried to clear the shell and I couldn't eject it.
It was stuck good.
I went to the on sight gun smith who happened to be there and he did the stick trick and got it out.
The bullet was still in the case.but it looked like it had some soot marks around the bullet that sorta matched the rifleling si I'm pretty sure it tried to fire . And maybe when he pushed the round back down, It seated the bullet back down in the shell.
The really weird part is I cant see where the primer was struck.
I thought a light strike but, I looked with a magnifier and cannot see any marks.
I know I fired the hammer. and the guy next to me heard it too.
I thought could I have cooked the round off? But, It didn't happen till I pulled the trigger.
I have run more S and B through the same gun with out any problems.
So maybe it is posible they had a few duds.
I don't think I saved the box to get the lot number ,But I have the bullet.
I just thought I'd reply with my experience.
Rich
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I thank everyone for the input. I guess anything that is manufactured can have screw up's on occasion. Its good to know that all of us have a position on our favorite and least favorite ammo which gives good info for all of us. I will probably give S&B another try. But, I will shoot up my Silver Bear first.
nightwatch

Post by nightwatch »

I have put one box of S&B through mine with no problems. Also used Fioche and Privi. No malfunctions with any. Haven't tried any JHP's yet.
"If it's easy...... why bother"
deltacornbread

Post by deltacornbread »

I consider myself a careful and quality re-loader. Butttttttttt, many moons ago, I primed a 44 special and did not add powder. And the bullet stuck and I had to drive it back in the case and it was very embarrassing and I will never do that again anddddddd, the moral of the story? Don't give up on S&B over one bad box of ammo. I am sure they would like to know about it. :wink:
Bullfrog80

Post by Bullfrog80 »

I've never had any problems with S&B and have shot thousands of rounds of it....
LynnKCircle

Post by LynnKCircle »

I have used S&B 9x18 and 9x19. I had feed problems with them all, especially in aftermarket magazines. In 9x18, the S&B worked ok with my EG Mak, but would occasionally not fire. It would not feed in a FE-63. It would not feed reliably in a CZ82.

In 9x19 it worked ok with factory magazines, but would not feed reliably in after-market magazines.

I won't buy it again. I have had far better luck with Wolf over the years, and that is my practice ammo of choice, both in 9x18 and .45.
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

If you have any still ammo left in that box it would be interesting to weigh them and see if there are any more light loads.