problems with Sellier & Bellot ammo

Info, pictures, advice...
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

problems with Sellier & Bellot ammo

Post by blinddog »

I was at the range today and had bought a box of Sellier & Bellot ammo. I fired a clip full with no problem but the second clip full one of the shots felt a little light. Checked my Pistole and all seemed OK. I installed a second clip full and I felt a non-recoil no loud noise poof. I checked my bbl and found there was a bullet stuck dead center of my bbl.
Has anyone else had this problem with this brand of ammo? Please let me know if you have. I'm not buying any more of this ammo for sure.
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: problems with Sellier & Bellot ammo

Post by piaggior »

I've had really good luck with S&B ammo. Was this the new production brass cased ammo? I had some of their older steel cased ammo that worked fine for me also, but it was definately older ammo.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I've been using S&B for some years now and "no" problems at all here, this may be something to be aware of though.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

It was new run in the brass case. It took a while to remove a bullet from the pipe. Noe I'm scared of S & B.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Don't blame you, what I have has been good stuff, I reload now all my large caliber handguns down to the .38's, and I have tons of 9x18 and .22's.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

This may help someone make a decision about what to buy. It may be good stuff and I may have gotten a bad bunch, but I'll not buy anymore.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

was there a lot number. the company might not do anything(hopefully wrong) but they might appreciate the knowledge of a bad run.possibly a call back...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

anjdrifter wrote:was there a lot number. the company might not do anything(hopefully wrong) but they might appreciate the knowledge of a bad run.possibly a call back...
This is a good point.

Also, good on you for paying attention and checking the barrel - you likely saved your P64 and possibly your life because you knew something wasn't right with that shot.
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

anjdrifter wrote:was there a lot number. the company might not do anything(hopefully wrong) but they might appreciate the knowledge of a bad run.possibly a call back...
I'd be curious about the Lot # as well. As I have a decent amount of S&B ammo, it would be interesting to double check Q&A of like/close Lot #s just in case...

Good catch. I hope I'd be as observant in like conditions...
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I've used their stuff from time to time for over 15 years and never had that problem. Scary indeed.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

The only number on the box is a bar code number, which is 7 80166 00901 6.
Now this number could be on every box of 9x18 ammo that goes out, I don't know. I do know that they forgot to put some gunpowder in 2 cartridges that I have found. I have shot S & B before and have not had a problem, amybe this was just a fubar of some sort.
WardenWolf

Post by WardenWolf »

S&B ammo seems to run a lot better in my P-64 than Silver Bear. I had some slide closure problems with Silver Bear; the extractor sometimes didn't want to go over the rim, leaving the slide slightly out of battery (I'm running a Wolff 22-pound recoil spring, so a weak spring isn't the issue). Never had a problem with S&B in these guns or any of my other guns. Good to know, though. Every brand has the occasional problem. Powder hopper running out at a bad moment, etc.
Carrying a Mak may not be PC, but whatever works.
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

blinddog wrote:The only number on the box is a bar code number, which is 7 80166 00901 6.
Now this number could be on every box of 9x18 ammo that goes out, I don't know. I do know that they forgot to put some gunpowder in 2 cartridges that I have found. I have shot S & B before and have not had a problem, amybe this was just a fubar of some sort.
i just checked my box and the bar code numbers are different except for the 7 in the begining so mybe there is a lot number mixed in there
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

I have also shot allot of S&B in many calibers over the past few years. Locally it sells out quick so I haven't shot S&B in the last few months. Also unless I'm mistaken, they make the 9x18 Mak that Winchester sells. If you look at the Win 9x18 Mak boxes they say made in Czech, and I've heard from multiple sources that S&B makes it for them.

Anyway it sounds like you got a bad batch out of normally good ammo. Thanks for the heads up. It'll be good to watch out for this in bot S&B and Winchester 9x18 Mak ammo.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
WardenWolf

Post by WardenWolf »

Just put another box of S&B through my P-64. No problems whatsoever. Very good, very accurate ammo.
Carrying a Mak may not be PC, but whatever works.