Will PPK grips fit a P64?

Info, pictures, advice...
seaplane

Will PPK grips fit a P64?

Post by seaplane »

I've seen mentioned before that the P-64 was pretty much a PPK clone, so, Will PPK grips work on a P64? I saw some Hogues wood grips that I like, and was just curious.Thanks!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Will PPK grips fit a P64?

Post by juniustaylor »

No, they will not fit. Otherwise a lot of folks, including myself, would be buying those grips instead of special wood P-64 grips from select makers for lots of moolah.
soram

Post by soram »

juniustaylor wrote:No, they will not fit. Otherwise a lot of folks, including myself, would be buying those grips instead of special wood P-64 grips from select makers for lots of moolah.
+1 & Ditto, Juniustaylor. I can't afford those "special wood" ones either, but I just got some polymer ZEE-Grips that are better than the stock ones (I believe) and I can't be happier!

See the ZEE-Grips thread in "Buy, Sell, Trade" for more info. (Sorry, my cut-n-paste quit working).

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I bought a set of the Zee grips back in February. I'm probably an idiot since I just got standard black and nothing with cool swirls. However, I just kind of liked how the stock grips looked... my originals are BEAT UP! They are pretty nice and fit well after a little manipulation with a hair dryer.
seaplane

Post by seaplane »

I ordered the Zee grips. I'm getting a dark russian red, sort of like the bakelite ak stocks. I asked about a star in the side, But no can do . I can't wait to see these. I hope they help the recoil just a tad bit!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I do believe the Zee grips are simply copies of the originals. At least, from the looks of mine, they are identical. About the one thing that I've done to reduce the felt recoil is to hold the gun tight. Since I simply target shoot and am not concerned about self defense shooting, I "reset" my grip of the handgun so I can hold it tight after each shot. Seems to help. I can shoot at least 50 rounds and probably more before my hand gets beat up too much. You can also try adding a piece of a bicycle inner-tube to give the grip more girth.
soram

Post by soram »

juniustaylor wrote:I do believe the Zee grips are simply copies of the originals. At least, from the looks of mine, they are identical. [...]
You are correct, except they are made of a high quality new-technology polymer instead of the original cheap plastic that was available 40+ years ago. They are next to impossible to break from over-tightening and are more flexible, which is why I consider them superior to stock grips.

Other than the material they are made from; yes, they are identical copies of the original design and don't effect recoil that I can tell.

Ross
seaplane

Post by seaplane »

Thanks for the pics and the comments folks! I just recently saw the bicycle intertube trick on a friend's Keltec. I had to ask myself why I didn't think of that years ago! I've had a Hogue sleeve grip on a Ruger MkII for 20 years and still never thought of the intertube trick. I can't wait to see my new Russian Red Zee Grips! I guess it's been about a week since the order, So another week or 2 and I should see them. The recoil really isn't unmanageable, But I was kind of hoping the zee grips would have a little softness to them. On the other hand, I don't want them to add any friction to drawing the pistol from a pocket holster.