SOG vs J&G P-64s

Info, pictures, advice...
miltymann

SOG vs J&G P-64s

Post by miltymann »

Looking for my first P-64. I see SOG and J&G have them in stock for about the same price. I believe J&G are $10 less, but I haven't checked shipping costs yet. Anyway, would love advice about the current condition of their stock. All advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Milton
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: SOG vs J&G P-64s

Post by piaggior »

Do you know if the SOG pistol comes with the spare magazine? The ones at J&G only have one. If the SOG guns come with two mags, that would probably be the better deal.
miltymann

Post by miltymann »

Best I can tell, the each come with one mag.
WardenWolf

Post by WardenWolf »

I don't know anything about SOG, but you can deal with confidence with J&G.
Carrying a Mak may not be PC, but whatever works.
nlvoldy40

Post by nlvoldy40 »

SOG's P-64's comes with spare mag,cleaning rod and holster. I just got one from them a weekago.
jaz

Post by jaz »

I thought SOG only sold to dealers? How would one order from them?
soram

Post by soram »

jaz wrote:I thought SOG only sold to dealers? How would one order from them?
I also got that impression from looking at their site.
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

Ask your your dealer to FAX SOG a copy of his FFL with a note that you will be contacting them directly to order a (description of gun) that will be shipped to the dealer. Follow that up with a call to SOG's toll free phone number, verify that they received the FFL and dealer's authorization, and just place your order over the phone. That was the drill last time I ordered about 6 months ago, you may want to call SOG to make sure they'll still do it that way.

hangfire
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

soram wrote:
jaz wrote:I thought SOG only sold to dealers? How would one order from them?
I also got that impression from looking at their site.
Nope.....They also sell to private party. You just have to set up a user account, and enter in you favorite FFL's address for the shipping location. They will only ship to FFLs, and they won't ship until that FFL faxes the documentation and calls in to give them permission.

I've ordered three pistols from them. All came in great shape, as close to the description.

Weasel.

Oh plus one had been back ordered, during that time I found a cheaper FFL. The SOG Customer Support was good about getting it to the right FFL that I changed it to during the back order.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
gloob

Post by gloob »

Heads up on J&G P-64's finish:

I just bought mine from J&G. The finish was very dark and uniform with just a tiny hint of holster wear near the muzzle end of the slide. The slide is smooth and shiny, everywhere, with no signs of pitting or machine marks. Just one small scratch and a tiny ding. Though not as smooth, the frame also looks very nice. The only surprise was after I got home.

In the store lighting, I didn't notice it. Back at home, I immediately noticed to my horror that the slide isn't blued, at all. It's a deep plum brown! I guess this one changed colors over the last 40 years!

The barrel and chamber are shiny and perfect. And first mag from 20 feet, I put 4 bullets in a row through the same hole. Not a ragged hole. The same hole! I was shocked! So I'm keeping it. I'll keep the original finish for now, but I have been entertaining the idea of parkerizing it.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Don't refinish it - that plum color is a factory finish and sounds like it's in perfect condition, too.
gloob

Post by gloob »

Ok, neat. I'm a little disappointed to hear that, though. I figured this was a freak result of unique storage chemicals and specific temperatures and humidity over 4 decades. :)

It looks nice, for sure. But every time I pick it up I think about this:
https://iquestionauthority.wordpress.co ... k-that-is/
crzbiker

Post by crzbiker »

I have a C&R account at SOG and have had no problem with them in fact, they are easy to work with. Having said that, I was not able to buy an FFL item through them because they insisted my dealer purchase the firearm into his own account. Then sell it to me. They did not want to have me pay for it and ship it to the FFL holder. We were both surprised and the FFL called them and verified that that was their policy. Anyone else run into this?
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

crzbiker wrote:I have a C&R account at SOG and have had no problem with them in fact, they are easy to work with. Having said that, I was not able to buy an FFL item through them because they insisted my dealer purchase the firearm into his own account. Then sell it to me. They did not want to have me pay for it and ship it to the FFL holder. We were both surprised and the FFL called them and verified that that was their policy. Anyone else run into this?
I just purchased a P64 from SOG through an FFL dealer. I purchased the pistol and it was of course sent to the FFL's address. I called SOG's 1-800# telling them what I wanted to do and they insisted on first having the FFL fax a copy of their license, then call on the telephone to verify that I would be purchasing the pistol, with SOG then shipping it to the FFL at their address. Once I knew that the FFL had completed both of these steps, I then called SOG, gave them the FFL's name and ZIP code, they took the order and my card # and it was done. I picked up the pistol at the FFL's this past Wednesday. They really didn't hesitate at all when I told them how I wanted to go about this, and I just called them 8 days ago. Weird.

I do know from some dealings I had with an out of home FFL dealer some years ago that he was quite incensed that I wanted to order a couple of Swede Mausers that I saw in a Samco ad. He told me that he wouldn't deal with any distributor that advertised their prices to the public. I ended up ordering both a M96 and a M38 from him. The funny thing was that he charge me $89 for the M96 and $109 for the M38. Samco was charging $99 for each, so my cost ended up being exactly the same and what's really funny is that the M96 is worth much more at this point than the M38. IDK, he probably ended up further ahead on his end of the deal. Why did I tell you this story? Oh yeah, I wonder if SOG is getting heat from retailers like this one?

I might just call SOG back if I were you and just tell them what you would like to do, after your FFL faxes them his ticket and calls them okaying this to proceed forward. Maybe a different CSR won't put up a roadblock?

I don't know if I'll be ordering anything more from SOG, but my FFL told me they went ahead and set up some form of account in case I ever did order something in the future, it would already be cleared to move ahead.

NRA Life Member

birddog

Post by birddog »

FYI. Just got done ordering my first P64, as well as an in-cosmoline Bulgie, from SOG. I lucked out and got the last P64 in stock. This was my 2nd dealing with SOG and I couldn't be happier. I live about 28 miles from them and called and asked what their policies are concerning walk-ins. Response; have FFL holder contact them and give permission to order in person. If FFL holder will also give buyer permission to pick-up SOG will comply. In my case, WPAFB Rod and Gun's policy is to ship to club and buyer can pick-up and fill out required paperwork at same time. Slight hicup but no biggie. My first order was for a PA-63 and a CZ-82. The safety on the PA took two gorillas with a crowbar to operate and the left upper corner of the right grip on the CZ was chipped. The PA looked brand new with no skid marks on the feed ramp and the CZ is in very good condition with minor holster wear and, of course, chipped paint where the manufacturers info was electro-stenciled on. Called SOG and was informed that FFL holder must give permission to exchange. This was done and I drove down. Outstanding treatment by SOG. Cynthia (in warehouse) came and got facts on what concerned me with both weapons and took care of them immediately. She brought me what looked like a brandnew PA for approval and replaced both grips on the CZ for conformicy. As I had permission to buy, she showed me the P64 and Mak for approval as well. Both the new orders and the replacement PA are on the way to the club and I should be able to pick-up on Monday Jan 10th. I am definately impressed by the professionalism and courtesy demonstrated by SOG employes and will deal with them with confidence in the future. Yes, I has a couple problems with the first order but it was made right with my satisfaction of primary concern to them. Apologize for being so long winded and hope it will be allowed for a newbie and his first posting. Glad to be associated with you all and NORM reads like "THE P64 MAN" in postings I've been reviewing.

out here - birddog (back-seater and spotter 68/69)