Buffalo Wild Wings bans CC

Info, pictures, advice...
918collector

Buffalo Wild Wings bans CC

Post by 918collector »

Just made my last visit to my local Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant. They now have a sign which says "Buffalo Wild Wings, Inc. bans guns on these premises." Never noticed it before so it must be new.

Here is the (quick) reply I got and the wording of the complaint I sent below it:

“Buffalo Wild Wings respects the right of individuals to carry firearms but we do not believe they are appropriate inside of a public restaurant. We are focused on the comfort, safety and enjoyment of all of our guests and have elected to exercise our right to restrict the carrying of firearms in our restaurants. We regret any inconvenience this may cause but believe that this policy is in the best interest of all of our guests and our Team Members.”

<b>Guest Comment:</b>
I was once a frequent customer at your Opelika, Alabama location but will no longer patronize your establishment. Today I noticed for the first time your sign at the door banning guns. Although I have not carried one on your premises and it is my understanding that under Alabama law, it is generally prohibited to carry firearms in an establishment serving alcohol, I found your sign to be belligerent and unnecessary. I also intend to inform my friends and acquaintances of said policy as well. It's really too bad because I have found the service and the food there to be more than satisfactory.

I did some internet searching and found that this is a known issue so I guess I might be the last to know. Messaged the NRA about it anyway.

Oh well, they can exercise their rights and I can exercise mine to carry my business elsewhere. Strange that a sports bar would show such attitude and yet a supposedly left-leaning establishment like Starbucks was at pains to stay out of it.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buffalo Wild Wings bans CC

Post by dfunk »

The fact that we're talking about a sport's bar may make it illegal to begin with, depending on your State laws.

If you think it's not legal in Alabama to carry in their place anyway, I'm not sure I see how they're being belligerent. They could have had an incident that you aren't aware of that would prompt them to reinforce the existing law by putting up a sign as a reminder. If they didn't allow it before, and you went there happily, then I don't know why a sign that states what the law has been would keep you from going back. The law hasn't changed.
918collector

Post by 918collector »

Everybody who has a CCW here has the short form of the do-not-enters printed on the back so CCW carriers are supposed to know better. If they had worded it in a different way, say "state laws prohibits..." , I wouldn't have paid it any attention. Don't know about any local incidents but it appears to be a corporate policy so I don't know where it started.
I don't disagree that they have the right. It's their establishment.
mattwestm

Post by mattwestm »

Most places in my area that don't allow CCW just have the typical pistol with an "X" slashed through, which seems more polite than a sign with words.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Of course the irony is the criminals won't care about a stupid sign, they'll carry regardless.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

MakAttack wrote:Of course the irony is the criminals won't care about a stupid sign, they'll carry regardless.
Exactly.
Not only does the sign in BW3's mean nothing to them, but they'll carry in banks, federal buildings, bars, etc.
918collector

Post by 918collector »

I guess it's like a cheap lock set: only meant to keep honest men out.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

918collector wrote:I guess it's like a cheap lock set: only meant to keep honest men out.
+1

Definitely their sign wasn't the best means of communication on their part. They really should have just put up a simple sign with the "no gun" symbol. Oh well. They're exercising their right and you can exercise yours as you have stated.

I personally feel different about the policy. Here in Wichita, KS they were doing some sort of fundraiser at one of the IHOP locations. Anyway, some hoodlum decided to come in and steal the donation jar. Now, I think that situation could have turned out differently if one of 3 conditions was met. 1.Allow legal CCW permit citizens to carry in the restaurant; 2.The manager carries a CCW legally; or 3.Another employee carries a CCW legally. I think one of those options could have kept the thief from stealing the donation money or just anything from being stolen. Low lifes!
http://www.kansas.com/2010/02/25/119796 ... tolen.html
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

Well that really sucks. I'm wondering if the no guns policy is only in effect in AL and other states that prohibit carry in establishments serving alcohol, or in all their restaurants nationwide. If it's the latter shame on them. Places like that I usually carry anyway, I just keep the roscoe outta sight, but that's just me. What are they gonna do, frisk me or run me thru a metal detector.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

hangfire wrote:What are they gonna do, frisk me or run me thru a metal detector.
They'd probably give you a full cavity search, maybe an anal probe... :shock:
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

The stock fell over 20% in after hours trade on weaker sales.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idAFN271 ... 428?rpc=44
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

Glad I live in Utah. Law here is, so long as you aren't intoxicated, it doesn't matter what dining/drinking establishment you're in.

Utah, where liquor laws are still more complex than firearm laws... :wink:
buds

Post by buds »

I also refuse to do business w/ establishments who prohibit carry. The laws of how merchants can notify patrons whether they allow or do not allow carry vary from state to state. I live in Kansas and their law on signs prohibiting carry are clear and explicit. The business must post the sign on or very near the front door. The sign must be at least 8"x8" and must have a white background w/ a black graphic of a semi auto pistol with the red circle and slash through it, and can have no wordage. I have seen several businesses post hand written or typed signs that says they are "banning all guns except for law enforcement inside their store." I ignore them. One sign even threatened prosecution for violators. I'd love to see them try to prosecute a lawful ccw holder who carried in their store that didn't have state AG approved signage.
kargo27

Post by kargo27 »

As I understood from my CC class here in TX, the "guns prohibited" sign has to be worded specifically, citing the law or it doesn't hold water.

I don't know if it's true, but they were pretty emphatic that it had to be written word for word from that law.
Karl
Ft. Worth, TX

"If you've denied a person the means of self-defense, then you've also denied them the right of self-defense." Alan Gottlieb, Founder, Second Amendment Foundation.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

No reason to make a fuss, a quiet revolution will do the job. Simply pass the information along all the gun related web sights, as the buisnesess go under they will pass the word around amongst themselves and the revolution will no longer have a reason to exist.
Word of mouth is a wonderful tool, post it along the web and the whole nation will get on board.
PayPal tried to molify the nation after its last social error, I still refuse to do business with them as do many others. If you use thier services you are destroying your own future. Don't do business with the chicken # outfit and they will go the way of others.
Mohatma Ghandi did it so can we!
There is an intire nation out there that is fed up with the existing power structure and is willing to make a change. Do your part and the glory of this nation will return.
Use the existing social structure and you will eventually harm yourselves as well as others.
I encourage you to give these staments some serious thought!
G.R.