Info, pictures, advice...
wolf357

Post by wolf357 »

I recently became a proud owner of a P-64 pistol with two mags in excellent condition. It functions flawlessly and accurately with Barnaul FMJ ammo.

Question: Where can I purchase 9x18 'Tiger' HP ammo?

I'm a handloader, so I've been debating rather or not to stick with boxer primed, brass cased factory ammo to get the ball rolling, so-to-speak. But I'd like to try the 'Tiger' ammo anyway.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Wolf,

For what it's worth, I think loading is the way to go for the p-64. Loading down just a touch makes very comfortable and accurate shooting. Plus, you can get the hornady bullets and load carry ammo for a fraction of the cost of loaded.

And some other guys may say different, but I have had great results with trimmed 9x19 brass.

Congrats on your purchase.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

Welcome to the P64 forum -- its a great little pistol & here is
the place & members with the answers & info. -- Enjoy

;D
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Welcome, Wolf. Tiger 9x18 hasn't been available for around 5 years or so. It was made at the Russian Barnaul factory, which replaced it with "Barnaul" ammo with a picture of a one-handed shooter on the box. Then that factory briefly exported "RAM" ammo. Now that's been replaced by Silver Bear made at the Barnaul factory. The Russians are trying to emulate American car manufacturers I think, by bringing a new brand out every year.
wolf357

Post by wolf357 »

Thanks for the courteous welcome, and informative responses, gentlemen. :)

BTW, kempin, since I also shoot 9mm Luger ammo in both pistol and carbine, I can put all that 9mm L brass I scrounge at the range to good use in the P-64, after trimming it back of course.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

wolf,

Sorry to take so long to WELCOME you to the P-64 Forum myself, but I have been out of town and have not had time to check the Forum the past 3 days. This is a great Forum with a GREAT buch of guys that like the P-64. I don't know of any perfect handgun, but for a small pocket type pistol, the P-64 comes very close! Please come back often and ask questions!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

wolf357
I bought some these http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 869&dir=18

they are cheaper than primed brass and bullets and they are Fully Reloadable

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
wolf357

Post by wolf357 »

wolf357
I bought some these http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 869&dir=18

they are cheaper than primed brass and bullets and they are Fully Reloadable NORM
Thank you. We must be on the same wavelength. After a bit of pondering, I decided to shoot this particular brand of relatively inexpensive factory ammo that uses reloadable cases. I can purchase this brand from a local mom and pop shop.