Thanks to this board, I was able to install my new springs!

Info, pictures, advice...
seaplane

Thanks to this board, I was able to install my new springs!

Post by seaplane »

I received my new wolf hammer spring and recoil spring with firing pin spring today. I ordered the 18 lb hammer spring with a 22 lb. recoil spring. The tutorial posted on changing out the hammer spring was fairly easy to follow and the recoil spring was a no brain-er. The firing pin spring was a bit of a watchmaker's dilemma, and I am no watchmaker! It took me awhile to get the little safety plunger and spring back together, But persistence and stubbornness finally prevailed! I now have a sweet trigger and the recoil is just a tad bit more manageable! I put a couple of mags down the pipe to function check it and I feel fairly confident it will be good to go. I love this little powerhouse! I have a Mika's pocket holster ordered for it and it will be riding flatter in my right front pocket than my J-frame was! Thanks for the Tutorials and pics my friends!--Chris
jhandy

Re: Thanks to this board, I was able to install my new sprin

Post by jhandy »

ya, that safety plunger and spring can be something else. Especially when the spring flies across the room.
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

Guys,
Besides doing the smaller parts work in a plastic bag, which is a great idea by the way. Thanks Norm. We used to find an old white sheet and put it around or under our work stations when we were rebuilding our pistols, M-4s or machine guns while as an armorer in the military. That way if a small pin, plunger or other item flys off it is easier to find. I did this once during a timed weapons break down, repair and function check and it saved my bacon. The instructor asked where I learned this and my reply was that watching my Pop take apart and repair old flintlock rifles and seeing tiny parts basically disappear in the metal filings, etc on the floor.

The time spent crawling around on the garage floor looking for these little items, was way too long and my Pops eyesight was not too good at that point, so I suggested that he use a blue plastic tarp or an old white sheet.
seaplane

Post by seaplane »

Yes, I saw the plastic bag trick listed and thought it would be a great idea. It's just that I have big fat fingers and I needed another set of hands! All in all, I only dropped that little plunger three or four times!
I had three flashlights setting by my side! I had to hold one in my teeth while I had both hands busy with holding the firing pin spring and fumbling with the plunger! My 2.75 reading glasses were of particular good use!
I think I could do it again if I had too, But I sure wouldn't want to!
I had read that the firing pin spring needed to be changed with the recoil spring to keep from damaging the firing pin , So I went for the whole package!
I am one of those guys that love to take things apart, It's getting them back together that is the hard part :mrgreen:
I can say that it was a worthwhile venture and after about an hour , I went in to the living room and danced a little jig for my wife! She thought I was crazy, But she was right!I was going "I'm the Man! I'm the Man! Whoo Hoo!" Sure was a good feeling when the little P-64 function checked correctly! My wife still doesn't like the recoil, But she didn't have a chance to fire it before the spring change. Life is good!
jhandy

Post by jhandy »

I had to use my nail-finding magnet to find a spring that diapered in the rug.
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

Yeah I have huge hands and fingers, so it is tough for me to grab many of the small pins. I tried using small forcepts to old the pin ends and it did help me out. Glad that the Mrs is a nurse so I had a source after she had to buy new forcepts.
pigpen

Post by pigpen »

got mine installed too, and I used the 18 and 20 lb. springs. Huge difference on double action. still a beautiful gun to shoot, but now can be more accurate in both single and double action. step by step instructions made it a no brainer, and I ignored the trigger spring for now. I will only install that if I need to. I guess I have caught the disease, as I am already planning on how to save enough money to not only feed this p64, but also buy another one. I know, there is no cure. Oh well, what a way to go.
pigpen