Favorite/worst 9x18 ammo

Info, pictures, advice...
forcefed

Re: Favorite/worst 9x18 ammo

Post by forcefed »

I agree. I was just saying what a indoor range owner told me.

The still case thing is probably true, that they have to sort through it and whine. I saw a guy at an indoor range with one of those magnet-on-wheels used on construction sites. He was using it for quick sorting of steel cases :)
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

forcefed wrote:He was using it for quick sorting of steel cases
LOL!
hunterkev

Post by hunterkev »

Well this topic went awry.I see there is not many brands of 9x18. Looks like I will stay away from wolf. Thanks P.S. The only brand I find around here is S&B Mpls.Area Minnesota
forcefed

Post by forcefed »

I live in Minneapolis too. Silver Bear is everywhere for like $12/box
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Well, there are quite a few brands... the most used is probably the Brown & Silver Bear lines because they are very economical to shoot. Barnaul makes the Brown/Silver/Gold Bear ammo. Sellier & Bellot and Winchester Metric are the same. Prvi Partizan is made in Serbia, I haven't heard of anyone using it though. Fiocchi and CCI Blazers are available too. Federal even has their American Eagle brand in 9x18mm, but it's super expensive. There are actually quite a few brands to choose from like any other caliber. You'll just have to take folks' word on what shoots good or just buy them all and taste 'em.

Try ordering online if all the local vendors are highway robbers.
www.ammoengine.com

Use that website to locate some good deals. www.ammunitiontogo.com hasn't let me down either. Brown Bear and Silver Bear are selling for $9.95 and $10.49 respectively. Shipping is normally around $7 or so, so just order in bulk and you'll make out better than buying it local and paying sales tax on top of their already HI price.
hunterkev

Post by hunterkev »

Hey forcefed could you name a few places ? Thanks Hunterkev,
deltacornbread

Post by deltacornbread »

MFS and Silver Bear. Nar a problem with either. I have stayed away from the Wolf so far. That said if Wolf was the only ammo available or dirt cheap, I would shoot it. I clean after shooting session anyway.
Ammo shot thru P64, PA 63 and CZ82.
Wish I had bought a ton of the MFS when it was available. Anybody know why you can't find it now?
vimes

Post by vimes »

juniustaylor wrote:Well, there are quite a few brands... the most used is probably the Brown & Silver Bear lines because they are very economical to shoot. Barnaul makes the Brown/Silver/Gold Bear ammo. Sellier & Bellot and Winchester Metric are the same. Prvi Partizan is made in Serbia, I haven't heard of anyone using it though. Fiocchi and CCI
Use that website to locate some good deals. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com hasn't let me down either. Brown Bear and Silver Bear are selling for $9.95 and $10.49 respectively. Shipping is normally around $7 or so, so just order in bulk and you'll make out better than buying it local and paying sales tax on top of their already HI price.
I'll second pretty much this whole post. I have shot the "bears", S&B, Partizan, and Fiochi. All seems plenty accurate and functioned 100%. ammunitiontogo.com is a great place to order from and seems to have more variety than the other dealers, but it does vary almost daily. In other words, if you see what you want, you better buy it right then. (Note, I'm not knockin' them at all, just sometimes they don't have that much of something on-hand.) If you want to save the cases for reloading, just make sure to buy boxer-primed brass (i.e. not silver or brown bear). If you're not reloading, I'd say buy whatever is cheapest as long as it's not wolf. :)
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

No one has mentioned Hornady XTP. I use it for carry in my Makarovs and CZ82. It's very accurate and probably the best 9x18 HP available commercially. I haven't tried it in my P64 or PA-63. It's a little more pricey so I use it just for social occasions.

For fun, I use Brown and Silver Bear FMJ if I don't want to look for cases. I'm set for reloading 9x18; just haven't had the need yet.

I avoid Wolf. I fired one box of it in my PA-63 after I replaced the main spring and had some light strikes. That was my first and last box of Wolf ammo.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

Recently I've shot probably half a case of Wolf. They've worked just fine for me. At some point before that I was getting Brown Bear, which I think should have the tagline "Smells just like burning electronics!" somewhere on the box, but shoots fine, and then before that had some Silver Bear.

The Winchester Metric is my favorite though.

But my zombie apocalypse stash is full of the Wolf. :mrgreen:
tiber1

Post by tiber1 »

shinerjohn wrote:No one has mentioned Hornady XTP. I use it for carry in my Makarovs and CZ82. It's very accurate and probably the best 9x18 HP available commercially. I haven't tried it in my P64 or PA-63. It's a little more pricey so I use it just for social occasions.

Not seen it in stock any where in months... Been wanting to give it a spin.
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Sportsmans Guide has some Hornady XTP in stock.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cart/car ... ate=&oSrc=

Midsouth Shooters Supply "should" be getting some in soon.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/d ... 5%4E%53%45
tiber1

Post by tiber1 »

shinerjohn wrote:Sportsmans Guide has some Hornady XTP in stock.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cart/car ... ate=&oSrc=

Midsouth Shooters Supply "should" be getting some in soon.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/d ... 5%4E%53%45

Thanks! Lots of places have been claiming it will be in "soon". I'll have to check out Sportsmans tonight once I'm not behind the firewall here!
piaggior
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by piaggior »

Has anyone tried the Hornady in a P64? I'd like to try some if it would feed reliably.
nlvoldy40

Post by nlvoldy40 »

Just was reading about the ammo, just got some Brown Bear from Chaeper Than Dirt. Shoots great but has a odd smell. Anybody else notice this? Great price for hole punching.