Don't Carry.
5%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 22

halljt3

OC vs. CC How do you carry?

Post by halljt3 »

Figured I would see how people typically carried. Please feel free to expand upon your vote... Bad encounters, good encounters, what you carry, etc.
brink

Re: OC vs. CC How do you carry?

Post by brink »

CC... usually my P64 but sometimes my Colt Commander 1991A1 when I feel like. The 64 is much more comfortable as the hours go by.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I rarely carry my P64 - now I carry a full size Govt 1911.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I didn't vote due to only one vote , however, I always carry and both CC and OC depending on situation, I would have voted "Both".
boomer

Post by boomer »

I don't leave home without one. Better to have it and not need it, than too need it and not have it. I also like the suprise factor so I never open carry. No need to show your cards in my book. I normally carry a Glock 26 OWB in a De Santis Mini Scabbard Holster and under a shirt in the summer and a Glock 19 under a jacket in the winter.

Now that I have got 200 rounds through my P 64 I would feel safe to trust it for carry duty as well. I don't hung up on special ammunition because I have seen first hand that the human body is not receptive to being hit with any object traveling at 1,000 feet a second regardless of size or shape. I opt for FMJ and deeper penitration to do internal organ and bone damage to an aggressor. My logic is that if it is good enough for NATO it is good enough for me. I was taught that broken hip bones will stop an aggressor faster than upper torso shots.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I CCW my 9mm Glocks in a MTAC holster. Lately I have carried a Tokarev in a Ross IWB w/mag carrier and a German Makarov BUG in an ankle holster. Occassionally I carry a P-64 in a IWB w/mag carrier.

Current configuration:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3198

Glock carry, ankle mag carrier and P-64 pocket carry in DeSanti Nemesis holster pocket holster:

primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

My P64 is still my "go to" for daily CC. While I can CC at work (at the University of Utah no less, I love me my Utah gun laws...), I want to CC as low profile as I can (while I'm fine legally, I'd rather not test the waters when it comes to "office politics"). The P64 does this for me, comfortably (in a US Gunleather holster), while still giving the punch of 9x18mm.

Lately, my PA-63 has been serving for OC. I prefer my OC to catch people's eyes (it's promoted conversation about OC more than anything so far), and the frame of the PA-63 does this well. She'll do even better once I order some purpleheart grips for her from Dennis. ;)
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

papabear wrote:I didn't vote due to only one vote , however, I always carry and both CC and OC depending on situation, I would have voted "Both".
I actually meant to put both as a option, not sure what I was thinking :idea: .... I also carry both depending on what im doing...

From now on "other" can be "both"
hangfire

Post by hangfire »

I've lived in a large urban area since the early 60s. In that time I can't recall ever seeing a non-LEO open carrying a gun. If you OC in a store or a restaurant they'll probably ask you to leave. They might even call the cops. Sad but true. Life in the city.

For CC I like a Kel-Tec P3-AT in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster, or for more firepower I like a P-64 in a GunMate strong side pancake holster.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I like carrying my P-64. The only other gun I carry (and really dont like to) is my DI derringer, good for 10 ft. but only two shots and two more in my pocket
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

OK I hit other for both. Usually if I carry in public, I agree with those of you that said CC. Like boomer said "No need to show your cards".

However I will be moving to Arizona shortly, very close to the Coronado mnt range with lots of great parks/trails. For these areas I'll go with an OC with a reduced recoil spring and loaded with snake shot. I can't stand rattlers, and they are known to like to sun bath on the trails and near by rocks.

Weasel
boomer

Post by boomer »

Weasel640 wrote:OK I hit other for both. Usually if I carry in public, I agree with those of you that said CC. Like boomer said "No need to show your cards".

However I will be moving to Arizona shortly, very close to the Coronado mnt range with lots of great parks/trails. For these areas I'll go with an OC with a reduced recoil spring and loaded with snake shot. I can't stand rattlers, and they are known to like to sun bath on the trails and near by rocks.

Weasel
Don't trust snake shot in any pistol, it don't work. 12 Guage with bird shot all the way! It is the only thing that works. Been there done that in the jungle. Get a Mossberg 500 Cruiser with a pistol grip and a 18.5 BBL.

Boomer
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

hangfire wrote:I've lived in a large urban area since the early 60s. In that time I can't recall ever seeing a non-LEO open carrying a gun. If you OC in a store or a restaurant they'll probably ask you to leave. They might even call the cops. Sad but true. Life in the city.
Salt Lake City may not be the biggest city around, but I'd call the Salt Lake valley pretty urban. A lot of the time, people just plain don't notice. I've swapped over to a PA-63 because it stands out against my clothing and people notice more. While OCing, the closest I've gotten to being "asked to leave," was a manager stopping me on the way out of IKEA (after being there for an hour looking at beds) and saying it was company policy for no firearms in the store, to "remember that for my next visit." Elsewise... restaurants, stores, I've never been asked to leave, or even to cover up. Nor have I been called in about MWAG (at least, I haven't been approached by an officer about it). If anything, I've had more officers smile and nod to me since I started open carrying (fortunately, LEO education about OC is pretty good out here). I've been OCing most weekends for the past year now, after I built up the gumption to do it the first time. The most common question I get is "Is it legal to carry like that?" which is a great place to start some education.

To me, a right not exercised is a right lost. Also, if it's "common perception" that "only cops and bad guys have guns," the only way to fix that is to be a responsible, respectable citizen seen openly carrying a firearm in day-to-day life. To be an exception to the "perceived norm." I make an exception for my job, sure (I like my job...), but I do what I can, when I can. But that's me, YMMV...

Not to belabor the point too much more (more could be said about OC as a deterrent, etc.). If OC is legal in your state, I bet there's a community of individuals who OC regularly, who have advice/experiences/tips/etc. to share. Opencarry.org is a good place to start, especially the forums.
Arik

Post by Arik »

I CC because of the weird laws here in PA. You can OC anywhere but Philadelphia and I live close to and often travel to Philadelphia so I just CC. Actually I'd rather no one know I have a gun.

I carry a Walther PPS 9mm 7+1 In an uncle mikes IWB holster that really needs to be replaced. I also have to buy the 8 round mag. Every so often I carry my TT but I'm hesitant to do so because of over penetration plus I need a descent holster for it. Any recomindations? What fits a Tok?
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

primarchbentley wrote:
hangfire wrote:I've lived in a large urban area since the early 60s. In that time I can't recall ever seeing a non-LEO open carrying a gun. If you OC in a store or a restaurant they'll probably ask you to leave. They might even call the cops. Sad but true. Life in the city.
Salt Lake City may not be the biggest city around, but I'd call the Salt Lake valley pretty urban. A lot of the time, people just plain don't notice. I've swapped over to a PA-63 because it stands out against my clothing and people notice more. While OCing, the closest I've gotten to being "asked to leave," was a manager stopping me on the way out of IKEA (after being there for an hour looking at beds) and saying it was company policy for no firearms in the store, to "remember that for my next visit." Elsewise... restaurants, stores, I've never been asked to leave, or even to cover up. Nor have I been called in about MWAG (at least, I haven't been approached by an officer about it). If anything, I've had more officers smile and nod to me since I started open carrying (fortunately, LEO education about OC is pretty good out here). I've been OCing most weekends for the past year now, after I built up the gumption to do it the first time. The most common question I get is "Is it legal to carry like that?" which is a great place to start some education.

To me, a right not exercised is a right lost. Also, if it's "common perception" that "only cops and bad guys have guns," the only way to fix that is to be a responsible, respectable citizen seen openly carrying a firearm in day-to-day life. To be an exception to the "perceived norm." I make an exception for my job, sure (I like my job...), but I do what I can, when I can. But that's me, YMMV...

Not to belabor the point too much more (more could be said about OC as a deterrent, etc.). If OC is legal in your state, I bet there's a community of individuals who OC regularly, who have advice/experiences/tips/etc. to share. Opencarry.org is a good place to start, especially the forums.
+1