Big wants small wallet

Info, pictures, advice...
Arik

Big wants small wallet

Post by Arik »

I've been debating for some time now between getting the CZ82 / P64 / P83 Problem is I can only get one. I was looking for a small, cheap summer time pistol and I looked at all the usual 380s LCPs, Keltecs, Jennings, Jiminez.. But it seems that not one of those are meant for +p or HP ammo. The nicer more refined 380s are...well to expansive. So I settled on the 9x18s

The CZ isnt a light summer gun but it is accurate, reliable, feels good in my hands, and its ambi. Great for a southpaw like me.

P64 probably fits my criteria the best even though the sights are so so and it is on the heavier side of BUG guns. Are there any aftermarket sights for these guns? Has anyone tried?

I know practically nothing about the P83. How is its size / weight? What could it be compared to? A Mak, Glock 17, Taurus PT111? Is it legal to import parts like Mags? Is that even considered importing if I can get mags from outside the US but in a small quantity like 2-3?

Thanks
robalan

Re: Big wants small wallet

Post by robalan »

I like my little P64 and the price can not be beat. However, you may want to look at a Bersa 380. I think the one I looked at was a new model called a Bersa 380 lite. I also think it was only $299. I do know it was at Gander Mtn. :D
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

The weight of the p64 doesn't bother me much iwb but it is a bit heavy in the pocket, imo. It is very slim and with a good holster or a clipdraw it is comfortable. It does kick like a mule and i would suggest both hammer and recoil spring replacements. i would go with 19 pound hammer and 22 pound recoil and buy a clipdraw for it and you should be set.

Ammo is very reasonable around 10 bucks a box at cheaper than dirt or ammo to go.

It conceals well, is reliable, and is cheap to shoot.
cubsfan

Post by cubsfan »

The P-83 is basically the same size as the CZ-82. It is a little thinner since its single stack. Seems to be basically same weight as well. I have all three and love them all. The '82 and the '83 are more "comfortable" to shoot if you're looking for lots of range time. The '64 is easier to conceal if you're looking for ease of carry. All three could be carried concealed though, just differently. I just ordered some mags from Poland as well so we'll see how it goes.
You can't go wrong with your decision. Good luck.
Arik

Post by Arik »

So i take it that ordering mags from outside the US is OK?!?!

Can anything be done to add better sights?

How close is the p64 to the PPK? Are the grips the same? I dont mean the plastic/rubber parts but the whole grip area.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Arik wrote: Can anything be done to add better sights?
Something can always be done, but like you said, your wallet is small. Any competent smith can mill out the front and rear and install new sights for you. It's all a matter of money.
Arik wrote: How close is the p64 to the PPK?
That's a silly question - your answer is all over the place on the forum and through a link on the home page of the website. :roll:
Arik wrote: Are the grips the same? I dont mean the plastic/rubber parts but the whole grip area.
Negative. The grips for the P64 are not interchangable with the PPK. If they were, it would open up a whole new door for people looking for new grips, though.

Welcome aboard. I think you'd find the P64 is an excellent ccw piece. It's substantial, it's thin, and it's a relatively small frame. It's also a sub $200 gun, which is another point you can't ignore.
mirother

Post by mirother »

Arik:
The P-83 is essentially the same size as the classic Makarov. It will fit in leather and nylon holsters make for the Mak. It is somewhat lighter and has better ergonomics than the Mak. The problem is getting magazines. You can only get one extra through J&B. So, consider it for carry only if you are comfortable with only 2 eight round mags.
mirother
boomer

Post by boomer »

The CZ 82 is most likely the best shooting Makarov chambered pistol in my opinion. While they are cost efficient they will require some work to refinishing them as the were painted and nor blued. Accuarace is outstanding, recoil is very managable and the Mags hold 12 rounds. The CZ 83 in 9 mm Kurz is still in production so there are plenty of replacement parts.
Arik

Post by Arik »

Thanks fellas!

I didnt properly explain about the grips. I didnt mean just the grips but the whole thing. Frame, grips and all. Reason for this question is that if they were the same or very close then I might just order the lazer grips and not bother with the sights. I did find a guy who seems to do a lot of custom work on surplus guns. I'll have to email him.

The small wallet was ment more for I want them ALL and NOW but that would be too much $$ Instead I'll focus on one at a time to get them how I want them.

Which spring is the one for the trigger pull? The hammer? So if I replace the hammer spring with the 19 pound one it will a lot easer DA pull? I ask because all my guns are DAO except for the TT. Last time I had a gun with an externall hammer was at least 2 years ago and I dont remember what the pound was
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The hammer spring is the one that affects the trigger pull on the P-64. I can't speak for the 19# spring, I hear it is a good change compared to the 24# stock spring. I personally use the 17# spring and it is very manageable. It does make the already light SA pull even lighter though.