Interesting ammo post ...

Info, pictures, advice...
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

from another board. Seems to support my contention that ammo heavier than 95 gr can be hazardous to your health in these lightweight 9x18 pistols, especially in the PA-63.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=147498

Stan
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

Hmmm, it doesn't take much reading on that forum to make me appreciate how pleasant the postings here are...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

This IS a pretty unique site that way...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

There seems to a problem with wolf ammo I'm on several other boards and and differant members have said they have had ether squib loads or they don't go off at all from wolf ammo

these are cal. I know of

762x25
9x18
762x39

but they still buy it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

I contributed to that thread, and I don't see what part of it reads unpleasantly. There was some back and forth with all sides agreeing to disagree. Nobody went away miffed; I know the posters and they continue to post opinions and information. There is also some good info on the thread.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

I went through about 1500 rounds of Wolf with my P64 and had one shell that blew the primer out the back ripping out the ejector. I did find the ejector and spring and put it all back together.

The Wolf ammo was pretty dirty and I have been using Brown/Silver Bear lately and I like it a lot better. It's a little cheaper too and you can get it in 94 grain JHP or FMJ.

I have been using their 7.62x39 in my SKS too and like it.
truth

Post by truth »

Wolf ammo isn't worth a damn. It may be cheap but you get what you pay for in this world. I have replied before; Steel round don't even load into the mag as smooth as brass, why bother with this ammo?
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

"... Steel round don't even load into the mag as smooth as brass, why bother with this ammo?"

Well, one Big reason is cost:

Silver and Brown Bear steel cased 9x18 = $6.75/50-round box.

Hornady brass-cased = $12.56/20-round box. PowR'Ball is off the charts price-wise.

There is currently brass-cased MFS available for $8.35/50-round box but that's a rarity.

The Poles designed these pistols to shoot "bi-metal" cases. The Russians designed the Makarov to shoot the same. They take pride in the soft steel used for cartridge cases, and I think there are enough satisfied customers to support the design of the pistol and the bullet.

Wolf really dug a hole by putting out some low-quality ammunition. It appears the Wolf 9x18 100-grain doesn't have the QA problems that their previous loadings did, but I don't know if they will ever gain back their reputation.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

My intention in starting this thread was to emphasize the caution of using ammo that is obviously bad for the alloy frame PA-63, but also potentially hazardous to the P-64. Responses seemed to focus on squibs and Wolf ammo.

The first post on the Makarov board thread I referenced listed the following ammo to be careful with:

Wolf 109gr FMJ
Wolf 100gr FMJ
Wolf 120gr JHP
Silver Bear 120gr JHP
Silver Bear 115gr JHP
Brown Bear 120gr JHP
LVE Branded Surplus ammo (109gr bullet)
Cor-Bon 95gr JHP ( +P load, not for Alloy Frames)
Fiocchi 95gr JHP (+P load, not for alloy frames)

With our strong, milled steel little gem, I've found the Fiocchi 95 gr to be ideal for carry, and probably the Corbon, in the P-64.. It's pushing the mass of those heavier bullets that's possibly exceeding acceptable pressures in the smaller 9x18 pistols, especially the PA-63. Effects on our P-64 appear to just be heavy recoil, mag drop, but also a few damaged pistols.

Bottom line is, shoot what you want to, but please don't blame heavy recoil, mag drop, jams from excessive OAL loads, etc, on the CZAK. This pistol and it's mags were not designed for ammo heavier and longer than mil spec 95 gr.

JMHO(just my humble opinion),
Stan
Last edited by b52stan on November 3rd, 2006, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 Stan,

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
truth

Post by truth »

"...Well one Big reason is cost:"

As I said... " You get what you pay for in this world." !!!
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Then at $20 for 50 rounds of American Eagle or $30 for 50 rounds of Hornady, the Hornady should be the best bet.