Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Info, pictures, advice...
p64

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by p64 »

twistedfocus wrote:I forgot to mention... These bullets (115gr Hard Cast) are ever-so-slightly shorter in O.A.L. than the S&B ammunition currently being packed around in the gun. They seem to cycle just fine *manually* if not actually just a bit smoother. I realize that doesn't mean they will feed properly under actual firing conditions, but its promising. I can take a pic or two if anyone's interested. Hopefully I can still get to the range this weekend... though it looks like my Jeep will be needing a water pump this weekend also... I can't catch a break lately. :x
I'm interested in the report and the pics.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

juniustaylor wrote:I'm not convinced that it is NOT safe. Elsewhere on the board fknipfer1 stated intersest in 116 gr Makarov bullets. Norm posted a reply to this particular site - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... rony-Tests
Here the OP said:

I traded several emails with Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore concerning this ammunition. I asked if the round is above standard Makarov pressures (24,000 psi) and he replied that it is not. Tim stated:

"The reason I went with the +P designation is because we are getting what would be considered +P velocity, even though the pressures are normal and I knew of no way to illustrate the fact that this new 9X18 ammo was quite a bit more powerful than ordinary ammo, without using the +P designation. Bullet design and powder selection make it possible to get added velocity without generating more pressure than what is normally considered “industry” standard."

So, the only reason the guy calls it +P is simply because of its velocity, not that it has any more pressure than a regular standard 95 grain round. I think further investigation of the matter should be executed before writing it off as taboo! I'll personally never shoot the stuff but for those that want to, then maybe someone could donate Mr. Sundles a P-64 and let him have at it for several boxes of rounds and see if there are any signs of fatigue.
I think the point being made by those who say it is probably a bad idea to use the cartridge, is that bullet weight combined with the additional power will be too hard on the gun. Whether or not they are correct remains to be seen. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way tho.
mrtoast79

Post by mrtoast79 »

so anyone ever hit the range with the 9-18 bore ammo with the p64?
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

mrtoast79 wrote:so anyone ever hit the range with the 9-18 bore ammo with the p64?
Yes, I finally made it to the range last week.

As I expected the recoil was noticeably a little more stout. Accuracy was good and I had no failures of any kind in ~30 rounds fired. I'd say it's noticeably more potent than the S&B ammo I currently have and maybe just a touch more than the Fiocchi I have fired in the past.

I don't think I'd be concerned with it beating up the gun too much with limited use. I should mention that this gun does have a stiffer recoil spring (20lbs). It drops brass right about where I'd expect, and right about the same distance as most other ammo I have fired in this gun. Overall I'm fairly impressed with it and with a little more reliability testing it will probably end up being my Wife's new carry ammo. Sure it's not cheap, but I don't mind the cost to add a bit more bite to her choice of carry weapon.

Edit: I should also add that I do agree with those that say "If you want more power, buy more gun", but she loves this gun.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.