Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Info, pictures, advice...
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by Weasel640 »

Was the P-64 made to shoot Buffalo Bore 9X18? The answer is NO, and it seems to be the general consensus. An overwhelming train of thought here is that this ammo may damage the P-64 or injure it's shooter.

So why would one even consider using this ammo? The fact is any other 9x18 Makarov round will put the same size hole in what you are shooting at, so why risk it?

If you say you want to use it as a defensive load, REALLY, where is the gain? According to BB's own testing you only get just over 100fps more velocity. Keep in mind this if self defense we are talking about, it's not like you will have to shoot across a ball field. You most likely won't even be shooting more than 25 feet. Come on, a 9x18 JHP traveling at 1,000fps vs 1,125fps over less than 25ft both are going to tear though whatever they hit! So again where is the gain? There is none!

I'd just like to add if you are defending yourself at over 25 feet, you are WRONG! You could have used this time to un-ass the area and get out of harms way thus saving your life, the other guy's, and any bi-standard's lives. Unless of course it is your job to confront bad guys, in which case you wouldn't be shooting 9x18.

Weasel

Also a co-worker of mine decided to buy a S&W made PPK just recently, in less than 100 rounds the extractor snapped.
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

For those that are interested, the 115gr Hard Cast is available now.

I ordered 2 boxes. I have always been a fan of heavier bullets. I don't really care about the "+P" (supposedly) designation as much as its a heavier bullet traveling at a reasonable speed. I'll give them a shot and see how they shoot.
Don Bennett

Post by Don Bennett »

Good points all, Weasel which Group did you come from?
soram

Post by soram »

Don Bennett wrote:Good points all, Weasel which Group did you come from?
I also agree. How did you find us, Weasel? What other forums do you frequent?

Ross
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Don Bennett wrote:Good points all, Weasel which Group did you come from?
5th, no longer there now tho..... Got stuck in AZ now.
soram wrote:I also agree. How did you find us, Weasel? What other forums do you frequent?
Ross
Saw the P-64 in a copy of Shotgun News, decided to get one, and found this forum researching it first. I do not belong to any other gun forums at this time.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Don Bennett

Post by Don Bennett »

Thought so, 10th myself, retired now. I bought my P-64 a couple of months ago along with a group of co-workers, they're a great little gun with proper care and prep. This is a great forum, it's the only one I belong to, but seems to have a world of info to offer. I found it by using goggle.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Weasel640

this is the first forum I started on in 2006 been here ever since, also on a lot other ones now , but this one is still the best

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

normsutton wrote:Weasel640

this is the first forum I started on in 2006 been here ever since, also on a lot other ones now , but this one is still the best

NORM
"This is my forum. There are many others like it, but this one is mine..." :lol:
p64

Post by p64 »

Buffalo Bore is a reputable company and I've fired their ammo out of all my different guns, it is very high quality. Being a reputable company I do not believe that they would manufacture ammunition that would cause problems with the guns.

Personally I love Buffalo Bore ammo and highly recommend it.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

p64 wrote:Buffalo Bore is a reputable company and I've fired their ammo out of all my different guns, it is very high quality. Being a reputable company I do not believe that they would manufacture ammunition that would cause problems with the guns.
Personally I love Buffalo Bore ammo and highly recommend it.
Not deliberately, no.
The fact remains, these guns were not designed for ammo such as theirs. Use it at your own risk.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'm not convinced that it is NOT safe. Elsewhere on the board fknipfer1 stated intersest in 116 gr Makarov bullets. Norm posted a reply to this particular site - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... rony-Tests
Here the OP said:

I traded several emails with Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore concerning this ammunition. I asked if the round is above standard Makarov pressures (24,000 psi) and he replied that it is not. Tim stated:

"The reason I went with the +P designation is because we are getting what would be considered +P velocity, even though the pressures are normal and I knew of no way to illustrate the fact that this new 9X18 ammo was quite a bit more powerful than ordinary ammo, without using the +P designation. Bullet design and powder selection make it possible to get added velocity without generating more pressure than what is normally considered “industry” standard."

So, the only reason the guy calls it +P is simply because of its velocity, not that it has any more pressure than a regular standard 95 grain round. I think further investigation of the matter should be executed before writing it off as taboo! I'll personally never shoot the stuff but for those that want to, then maybe someone could donate Mr. Sundles a P-64 and let him have at it for several boxes of rounds and see if there are any signs of fatigue.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

juniustaylor

like said on the other board all the pressure signs look good to go in a Mak. but the longer & wider bullet , will probably not feed in a P-64 or a PA-63 because of mag size, then again I only shoot my reloads in all of my guns, its going to a shoot at you own risk type of thing in the P_64 & the PA-63 , not saying its bad ammo and you shouldn't shoot it, but why would you want to shoot ammo that might hang up in the mag and not feed especially in a carry gun, until some like NB can give me a qualified answer on the P-64 & the PA-63 I wouldn't carry them

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

normsutton wrote:not saying its bad ammo and you shouldn't shoot it, but why would you want to shoot ammo that might hang up in the mag and not feed especially in a carry gun, until some like NB can give me a qualified answer on the P-64 & the PA-63 I wouldn't carry them

NORM
I'm hoping to finally get to the range and try it out this weekend. I was planning to go shooting the day they came in but was in a car accident (got hit by a truck :roll: ) instead. I'm mostly recovered now and will report on how the BB stuff shoots in the P64 once I get to the range. If only I lived in the country...
p64

Post by p64 »

twistedfocus wrote:
normsutton wrote:not saying its bad ammo and you shouldn't shoot it, but why would you want to shoot ammo that might hang up in the mag and not feed especially in a carry gun, until some like NB can give me a qualified answer on the P-64 & the PA-63 I wouldn't carry them

NORM
I'm hoping to finally get to the range and try it out this weekend. I was planning to go shooting the day they came in but was in a car accident (got hit by a truck :roll: ) instead. I'm mostly recovered now and will report on how the BB stuff shoots in the P64 once I get to the range. If only I lived in the country...
I'm looking forward to your range report, as previously stated I'm a big fan of Buffalo Bore ammo in my other guns of various calibers.
twistedfocus

Post by twistedfocus »

I forgot to mention... These bullets (115gr Hard Cast) are ever-so-slightly shorter in O.A.L. than the S&B ammunition currently being packed around in the gun. They seem to cycle just fine *manually* if not actually just a bit smoother. I realize that doesn't mean they will feed properly under actual firing conditions, but its promising. I can take a pic or two if anyone's interested. Hopefully I can still get to the range this weekend... though it looks like my Jeep will be needing a water pump this weekend also... I can't catch a break lately. :x