Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Info, pictures, advice...
User avatar
cichlid
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: December 27th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Location: S. Florida

Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by cichlid » March 12th, 2010, 10:24 am

I saw this on another forum, thought I'd post the link here.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l= ... _list&c=58

boomer
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 6:10 pm
Location: Smoky Mtns TN

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by boomer » March 12th, 2010, 10:56 am

With all due respect and not speaking for other members, I don't think anyone on this board really cares about overpressure ammunition. The commonality is our interest in the P 64 pistol and other Makarov chambered pistols. :D

User avatar
cichlid
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: December 27th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Location: S. Florida

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by cichlid » March 12th, 2010, 11:50 am

Why don't we let the members of this board make their own decisions. All I am doing is passing on info I read on another board. There are many members here that do use this weapon as their primary carry gun, so maybe they might be interested. Me personally, I probably won't ever buy the stuff. Lets let them decide if they are interested or not.

User avatar
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member
Posts: 739
Joined: April 17th, 2007, 1:22 pm
Location: Roseburg, Or.

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by blinddog » March 12th, 2010, 2:47 pm

You are right. I don't use +P or any heavy load, just the way I am. But it is nice to know if I wanted to purchase some on line I have another option. No offence ment to anyone.

pursuit
Junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: February 25th, 2010, 9:10 pm
Location: Wild Wonderful West Virginia

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by pursuit » March 13th, 2010, 3:31 pm

They will be too expensive to shoot many, but I sure look forward to trying a few!!

boomer
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 6:10 pm
Location: Smoky Mtns TN

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by boomer » March 13th, 2010, 8:49 pm

My position on the matter is very simple. In my humble opinion I really don't think a gun made in the Soviet Union over 30 years ago was intended for Buffalo Bore over pressured ammunition of today. That is kinda like putting Nitro Methane in a 65 Chevy. You can do it but is it worth the results that could be achieved.

MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) is factored into metallurgic calculations and a smart designer will stay around 85% max leaving a 15% margin for materials used to contain and or control explosive or rapid expansion energy properties like internal combustion engines and firearms.

Then there is the point of diminished returns. Is there really going to be a noticeable positive effect of picking up a couple of hundred feet per second of flight speed at target impact such a soft tissue. Every action has an opposite and equal reaction so the recoil is going to go up proportionately.

I just fail to see any justification to applying undue metal stress with hot ammunition in any firearm. That's just my two cents worth.

User avatar
cichlid
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: December 27th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Location: S. Florida

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by cichlid » March 14th, 2010, 8:06 am

boomer wrote:My position on the matter is very simple. In my humble opinion I really don't think a gun made in the Soviet Union over 30 years ago was intended for Buffalo Bore over pressured ammunition of today. That is kinda like putting Nitro Methane in a 65 Chevy. You can do it but is it worth the results that could be achieved.

MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) is factored into metallurgic calculations and a smart designer will stay around 85% max leaving a 15% margin for materials used to contain and or control explosive or rapid expansion energy properties like internal combustion engines and firearms.

Then there is the point of diminished returns. Is there really going to be a noticeable positive effect of picking up a couple of hundred feet per second of flight speed at target impact such a soft tissue. Every action has an opposite and equal reaction so the recoil is going to go up proportionately.

I just fail to see any justification to applying undue metal stress with hot ammunition in any firearm. That's just my two cents worth.
Your probably correct on all of you opinions expressed in your post, but again, i'm just passing info on. Thats it, nothing more. I guess since you don't agree with +P ammo, I should not have posted about it. Sorry about that.

boomer
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 6:10 pm
Location: Smoky Mtns TN

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by boomer » March 14th, 2010, 9:37 am

No need to be sorry friend. This is a place to share information and trade opinions.
I would just feel terrible if someone got hurt using over pressured ammunition in a P 64. We have to consider their age and unknown service records. I would be hard pressed to use regular ammunition in or even shoot some of the ones I have seen for sale at gun shows. That was the motivator for my posting. I don't pretend to know anymore than the next guy but I sure am willing to learn from the next guy.

rottenrick
Senior member
Senior member
Posts: 401
Joined: March 17th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by rottenrick » March 14th, 2010, 10:03 am

The hard cast I'm not interested in, but the hollow point is a different story. On the other hand since I got my order of Speer Goldots it will be a while before I'll need more JHP's. More than likely need more FMJ first.

User avatar
Sgt P
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 3:30 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by Sgt P » March 14th, 2010, 10:04 am

I think that if a gun maker like S & W can make a revolver like the J-frame to shoot a +P round then it is a matter of metalurgy if the weapon can stand the stress. Having seen M-16 rifles come apart due to problems in their mfg, or problems with hot loads, it leaves me to believe that any weapon can fail. So basically you guys both have valid points.

Now do I want to shoot a overpressurized load in my P-64. Not really. Now will I shoot a 1,000 rds of +P .38 caliber ammunition thru my J-frame snubbie. Not really. I know many gun journalists will advise not to shoot too many hot rounds thru your weapons. I guess it is up to the individual to make that choice. Everyone has an opinion. :wink:

boomer
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 6:10 pm
Location: Smoky Mtns TN

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by boomer » March 14th, 2010, 10:12 am

Here is one that got a great deal of attention, speaking of opinions that is!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/smith-wesson_dark.htm

User avatar
Sgt P
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 3:30 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by Sgt P » March 14th, 2010, 10:42 am

Boomer,
Good article. Sent you a PM.

rottenrick
Senior member
Senior member
Posts: 401
Joined: March 17th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by rottenrick » March 14th, 2010, 11:36 am

Wow!! Great piece. As the writer said 'He's going to make some people mad, or be sued. So bet what he's saying is pretty close to the truth. I'll look at the next smith a lot closer. But, on the other hand the only smith I own is the 642.

boomer
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 6:10 pm
Location: Smoky Mtns TN

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by boomer » March 14th, 2010, 11:57 am

I made a very stupid mistake in my old age and bought a S&W Walthers Stainless Steel PPK. Absolute Nightmare! I consider my self lucky to have traded it off for a Kahr Cw 40 which isn't much better but at least it does shoot more of the time. LOL!

Arik
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: March 15th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Buffalo Bore 9X18 Coming Soon

Post by Arik » March 17th, 2010, 11:38 am

Hmm.. Well that article kinda sucks (for me). Not to long ago I bought a Walther PPS 9mm. Nice gun, shoots great, haven't had any problems but then again I haven't had the chance to shoot it a lot. This was/is supposed to be my all around carry gun. Thin and light enough to be concealed in/under just about any type of clothing.

The other week my local fun store had a great deal on NEW S&W M&P in 357sig. $350 for gun w/2 mags + 2 free mags from S&W rebate. The barrel can be swapped for a .40 and the mags hold both .40 and 357sig. I liked the way it felt and that it was ambidextrous so I put a down payment on it.

Now I'm having doubts and wondering if it was worth it and I'm hopping that S&W only imported the PPS

Post Reply