22 pound recoil spring.

Info, pictures, advice...
kurremkarm

22 pound recoil spring.

Post by kurremkarm »

I ordered the 22 pound wolf recoil spring and put it in. Didn't have to modify it at all as some have posted here, it went right in.

Have not had a chance to shoot my gun since I replaced my 20 pound with the 22. I had total confidence in the gun having put like 800 rounds through it. Now I am not carrying it until I put a few hundred through it in this configuration.

So the question is: How many here have a 22 pound recoil spring and does your fun feed and function well with that spring?

Thx
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: 22 pound recoil spring.

Post by juniustaylor »

Stupid question maybe, but did you put the small end on first? By the way it sounds, everyone else has problems with these springs. I'm not doubting your firearms knowledge, just sometimes mistakes can be made.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

It went on just like all the other springs, only one way. Maybe wolf fixed their spring?
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

My 1974 I had to flatten the ends of the spring to fit, my 1972 fit with no grinding at all. I've not had any issues with either as far as failures in any way.
cichlid

Post by cichlid »

I've had to modify the springs I have in all three of my P-64's. I have two rounds and one triangle.
dburkott

Post by dburkott »

My 22lb spring went on just fine as well..small end first. I think they must have fixed their springs, as I was expecting to do some metalsmithing as other have pointed out. I ordered mine in January. Works great.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Just be careful. If you start getting FTF ot FTE that spring maybe too much for the gun to cycle properly. The heavy spring will also effect timing and increase the limp wristing possibility with one hand use. You should also swap out the firing pin spring with the extra power one that Wolffe sends as well to avoid firing pin damage.
hunterkev

Post by hunterkev »

Hello everyone, I am a new owner of P-64 because of this site. I changed the hammer spring and it did help. Bought a 22lb recoil spring it does not fit.Is it worth the grinding and the possible other problems i have read about to get any less recoil. Is there much difference? Thanks for your opinion.Hunterkev
boomer

Post by boomer »

I can only speak from my experiences. In auto loading pistols, the recoil spring is a dynamic integral part of it's operations. I changed mine out to a 20 lb for correct cycle operation with todays modern ammunition and also the fact that the original was over 30 years old. 20 lbs is the normal wieght for a Walthers and the slides are close in mass and weight. Nothing scientific here just guesstimation and it worked well. To be a carry pistol for me it must cycle 200 times with out failure. That test was passed at 20 lbs.

You are never going to tame the recoil of the P 64 and that is just a fact of life. Low pistol mass vs .364 or 9.25 mm bullet leaving at 1000 feet a second. It is going to kick like a rented mule and that just the way it is. It is not a target pistol, it is uncomfotable to shoot however, it is one of the best personal protection pistols to ever be made and an excellent CCW in my opinion!
jamestday

Post by jamestday »

I put 50 rounds through my P64 over the weekend – and have the bruised hand to prove it. I put the 22# spring on my after the first 20rds and I found it helped, but as was pointed out, it’s like putting bubble wrap on that rented mule. Helps some, but it’s still a mule not a Shetland pony… Still IMO the spring was easy to grind and no problems so far – first 50 no FTF or FTE.

I’ve since adding a Limbsaver grip sleeve to hopefully reduce the impact effects. That little rubber tab on the Limbsaver fits right at the point where the gun impacts my hand between thumb and trigger finger. I’m going to the range next weekend to try out that grip sleeve.
https://www.limbsaver.com/store/product ... 273&page=1

I want to use my P64 as my carry gun and want to do my CCW training with it, but they say you will be shooting 100rnds+ and I’m just not sure I could withstand that in one day? I’ve also thought about using an old neoprene diving glove with the finger cut out – just not sure about how that will effect grip or firing safety?

My next trip to the range will focus on DA to SA firing and experimenting with different grips styles. The last two mags on my last outing, I found that lowering my grip on the gun helped with recoil impact, but I think it lessened my accuracy. I’m hoping to find the happy medium next time out.
boomer

Post by boomer »

In a Self Defence Shooting you will not be shooting 50 rounds and I will never put a rubber grip of any type on any CCW gun I own. I had a Pach on a S&W Model 36 get caught up on my jacket when drawing causing me to get shot.

This is just my experiece and ways fo doing things. The P 64 and all other small handguns were not designed to be comfortable to shoot either. They are not range toys. Night sights, lasers and lights are totally useless and a waste of money and only raise your chances of coming in second in a gun fight. The loudest sound in a gun fight is "CLICK"!

Thats my .02 for what it is worth.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

Get a shooting glove. I also second the avoidance of rubber slip on grips. They can also give away the fact you are carrying concealed depending on how you carry it.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I took the gun to the range with the 22 pound spring. The first couple of shots made a very muted sound and i had ftf and fte. After the first magazine it settled down and i put 94 more rounds through the gun with no ftf or fte. The recoil was reduced enough to not leave my hand stinging for the rest of the day.

I'm calling this a win.
boomer

Post by boomer »

My criteria for any carry gun is that it must perform 200 times with out any failure of any type what so ever. Did you replace the firing pin spring as well to prevent future problems? Once you damage a pin in a P 64 it is pretty much toast and only good as a paper weight.

Norm has also documented where Wolf Ammo can have a primer puncture that will distroy a P 64 as well. Just be mindful that there are no replacement parts for these pistols and the supply of them is rapidly dwindling as well.
jamestday

Post by jamestday »

Thanks for the feed back on the Grip Sleeve and SD carry. Good advice I will definitely follow. Might just put the sleeve on (and/or use a glove) just for range or CCW training, then take it off.

After first time out I’m thinking that I don’t need to run many rounds through the P64 to gain accuracy skills – it’s very accurate first shot to last. I think I will focus more on how to carry (holster, location…) and drawing. Like they say most SD situations are about 7 to 10 foot max. I guess you don’t need much range time to be able to hit center mass at that distance with a P64.

ps – guess attaching my red-dot scope is now out of the question.. – just kidding :roll: … although it would look pretty funny…