Glad I found this site!!

Info, pictures, advice...
storz

Glad I found this site!!

Post by storz »

I will be ordering a P64 next week, most likely from Southern Ohio Gun, to be used for personal carry. This site/forum is awesome!!

From the searching I have done SOG seems to have the best price on them, anywhere else I should check out?

Thanks ;D
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad I found this site!!

Post by devlinfaust »

Storz,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find tons of useful information here. This is the best message board I've ever seen. A relatively small group, but with good folks who are more than willing to help.

SOG may be one of the few that have quantity of the P-64, but others in the forum may have some ideas about this. I own two P-64's, and both were "new" when I got them--I could detect no wear whatsoever, even on the magazine. I find the pistols to be powerful, accurate and reliable. The only ammo I've tried that it won't feed is the Honrady hollow-points. Aimsurplus has some silver bear 9mm mak ammo at a pretty good price. My two guns love that stuff. Some of the folks here have had bad experiences with Wolf ammo. I've used Wolf with no problems, but I seem to recall that someone had an extractor blown to bits by a faulty Wolf cartridge.

My two pistols have tended to 'sting' me, but I got a tip on the forum not to hold the gun quite so tight and that helped considerably. When it comes to carry, these things are compact, accurate, reliable and reasonably powerful. It's a hard combination to beat!

Good luck with your purchase.
storz

Glad I found this site!!

Post by storz »

Should I go with SOG or is there a better place to get it from?
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad I found this site!!

Post by duggi60 »

Search around on the web, there are more than one place that
sell a particular pistol -- bottom line you make the decision &
find a FFL dealer in you area to do the transfer &/or order as
many do not sell directly to the person.

::)
truth

Glad I found this site!!

Post by truth »

What happens with the Hornady H.P.s ? My P-64 came ''New'' from S.O.G. no sign of wear at all. It eats everything I feed it. I don't care for any steel jacket, it drags as you load the clip, not smooth like brass. I ran a box of Hornady 95 gr JHP/XTP before I felt I could leave it loaded with them. I also keep another clip loaded with hard ball close by.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad I found this site!!

Post by dolang1 »

storz, I'm glad you found this site. I didn't see that you had ask for a link until tonight. I bought my first P64 from a gun show, but the next 4 we bought from SOG. they come to about $180 by the time you add shipping, taxes and FFL. I was very pleased with SOG, but I haven't bought fire arms from anyone else to compare. For an extra $10 SOG will let you select the year, which will eanble you to opt for the triangular hammer if you choose. I don't recall the year they changed to the triangle hammer but you can find it on this forum. In fact you can find just about anything about the P64 on these pages. good luck and welcome. Later Don
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Glad I found this site!!

Post by abwehr »

storz,

I am a little late, but WELCOME to the P-64 Forum!!!

From what I have seen lately, the price SOG is about the besst I have seen. As "dolang1" stated, the price will be about $180 by the time you get all the shipping and transfer fees included. This is still the best price I have seen lately in my area. Actually, the only one I have seen in my 4-5 gunshops I visit regularly is one for $229.

Please come back often and let let us know what you get! I think you will like the pistol. When you get it, the first thing is to clean it really good. The oil is a preservative only and needs to be completely removed and lubricated properly. As you probably know, the double action pull is HARD, but can be fixed easily. The single action should be good out of the box.
storz

Glad I found this site!!

Post by storz »

I called and had my dealers FFL info sent to SOG, all good to go :)
kempin

Glad I found this site!!

Post by kempin »

Truth,

For the record, I have never had a single problem with the Hornady ammo. It is good quality ammo and functions flawlessly in mine. Kind of funny how different pistols can be alittle finicky.

Delvinfaust,

Ironically, it is the silver bear that mine doesn't like . . .

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad I found this site!!

Post by devlinfaust »

Kempin,

It might be that my two pistols are early production--both are 1968's, and this is why they hate the Hornady stuff. I like Hornady ammo, in general. I have used a variant of Hornady with my CZ-52 and never had a problem and had great results. But Hornady, oddly enough, is the only thing I've found so far that won't feed and that's with both of the 1968 P-64's. How I lucked out on Silver Bear, I'll never know, as it has given me some trouble in other calibers (in Hollowpoint), but at least t is cheaper than the Hornady!

I haven't found any of that 9mm Mak pow r ball yet. Anyone know where the 9mm Mak powerball can be found these days?
918collector

Glad I found this site!!

Post by 918collector »

I guess I need to try more ammo brands. My various Maks have cycled Chi-com, MFS, no-name Russian hardball, CCI Blazer & Hornady without a hitch. I haven't tried any of the Russian hollowpoints yet.

I used to have several small autos in 32 ACP. They were usually OK with any hardball but very rarely functioned well with HP. That's why I got rid of my CZ 70.

I still haven't found anything in 9x18 that didn't function perfectly. Too bad we can't get hold of Stetchkins. Even a semi-auto one would be fun. Imagine: 20-round mags.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Glad I found this site!!

Post by space »

I got mine by asking the local gun store to order one for me from SOG.

I probably paid about the same as if I had done the FFL, shipping, etc.. but when I went to buy the 2nd one, he had them in stock :)

Welcome...