japanesegunguy

Great, consise info video on the P64...I learned alot

Post by japanesegunguy »

dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Great, consise info video on the P64...I learned alot

Post by dfunk »

Haha, what did you learn? That guy basically read the first few facts off the site and then talked about how it felt to him, recoil, accuracy, etc. Read the front page of the website and you'll learn much more. Read some of these forums, and you'll have an unlimited supply of info.
soram

Post by soram »

admin wrote:Haha, what did you learn? That guy basically read the first few facts off the site and then talked about how it felt to him, recoil, accuracy, etc. Read the front page of the website and you'll learn much more. Read some of these forums, and you'll have an unlimited supply of info.
:shock: I agree with "admin". But, I feel this Polish P-64 Review Video has much better production value and is more informative.

It's much the same information, BUT at least you get to see this baby in action! 8)

Ross
Last edited by soram on March 11th, 2010, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
japanesegunguy

Post by japanesegunguy »

Actually I did learn something about the orgins of the weapon. For a newbie to the site, I found it informative
boomer

Post by boomer »

Frankly, I would not let that man touch any of my pistols. What ever happened to always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. This person needs a serious lesson in firearm safety and caliber nomenclature.

The Browning .380 Auto Colt Pistol is a 9x17 Kurz, the Makarov is a 9x18 and not a .380 on steroids. It also has a larger bullet that is .364 in OD as opposed to .357 OD for the Kurz Round. The 9x19 Luger also has a .357 OD bullet. The Makarov is actually a 9.25 mm round.

The very heavy D/A trigger pull was designed into the P 64 so that it could use the very heavy case primers of the Soviet Makarov Sub Machine Gun Ammunition that is still in use today. The man does not know a thing about firearms in my opinion.

The Makarov PM (Pistolet Makarova, Russian: Пистолет Макарова) is a semi-automatic pistol design. Under the project leadership of Nikolay Fyodorovich Makarov, it became the Soviet Union's standard military side arm from 1951-1991
japanesegunguy

Post by japanesegunguy »

Boomer, I respect your gun safety points. With that being said, the gentleman was merely showcasing his P64 just as I have seen countless other Militaryhistorians do on the History channel and such. I believe his nomenclature was accurate as he clearly called it the 9x18 Makarov. I took the steroid reference as a bit of humor added. One does not always have to be on the "range' with the muzzle pointing downrange to present a gun and its history. The safety was clearly engaged and i'm sure the gentleman had checked the weapon to ensure it was unloaded. Please, let us support our fellow gun enthusiasts and save the flames for the anti gun crowd.
boomer

Post by boomer »

japanesegunguy wrote:Boomer, I respect your gun safety points. With that being said, the gentleman was merely showcasing his P64 just as I have seen countless other Militaryhistorians do on the History channel and such. I believe his nomenclature was accurate as he clearly called it the 9x18 Makarov. I took the steroid reference as a bit of humor added. One does not always have to be on the "range' with the muzzle pointing downrange to present a gun and its history. The safety was clearly engaged and i'm sure the gentleman had checked the weapon to ensure it was unloaded. Please, let us support our fellow gun enthusiasts and save the flames for the anti gun crowd.
The Man is no gun expert by any stretch of the imagination. He is a blithering idot in my opinion. You can not be sure of anything as you did not handle and inspect the weapon.

Assume can make an ass out of "U" and "ME". As a retired weapons and combat firearms instructor that man is an accident just lookin for a place to happen. You seem to be watching too much TV and never seen gunshot wounds like I have in the last 45 years.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I just watched that video. For the average person just wanting to see a bit of information about the particular gun it could be slightly informative. Information regarding this handgun is somewhat available so it's not like the guy presented any "new" information. Some folks like to visit YouTube to get someone's review on something, and there's nothing wrong with that. Definitely some other searches using Google are helpful. As DF said up above, you can find a plethora of knowledge on these pistols on this forum. ...at least the guy said Makarov right... :wink: He did speculate a bit as well as contradict himself. He said at the beginning of his review that it was in service from 1965-1985. Yet at the end, he said it was in service from 1965-1995. Correct being the first set of dates I do believe.

As far as him swinging the pistol left and right, I don't have much of an opinion on that. At most he could have blown his computer screen up. However, if we lived in a life of "what if's" we'd never leave the house. He didn't have it pointed at himself and his fingers remained off the trigger. It is quite common in firearm reviews to see the handler move the firearm around to show it's different attributes, a firearm is to be respected, not feared.

I don't think there's much of a reason to scorn japanesegunguy for his opinion. I sense a little of that in some of the comments left. He simply felt the video was informative and if that's what he believes, then that's fine. We all had to learn somehow and you eventually gain more knowledge by searching out more resources.

People can't take everything literal in life... it wouldn't be much fun after a while. Like japanesegunguy said, the steroids comment was a bit of comic relief from the reviewer. There's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

The other video mentioned was lengthy and pretty good, however, he is the one that says the "manual" says the original ammo was 71 grain stuff. He's the reason I bought the unnecessary 20# spring. You really don't need it. The supposed "95 grain stuff" isn't going to produce any more recoil than it did in the 60's. The original ammo to be shot was 6 grams or ~92.6 grains. So, about any reviewer may have a small amount of incorrect information, however, you have the freedom to research and find the truth.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Remember he's an FNG. The you tube guy didn't say anything I didn't already know, but cut some of these people some slack. THE thing that's great about this place IS IT'S TOLERANCE and peoples willingness to educate each other. If we don't have that, we're AFU and I don't ever want too see that happen here. Sure the guy on YOU TUBE might be a putz, who cares?? You don't know he MIGHT even be a member!!! LOL!!!!
boomer

Post by boomer »

I have no tolerance for kidding around when it comes to firearms not do I have any faith or respect some self procalimed expert yahoo on You Tube doing gun reviews.

If I heard horseplay or giggling on my range while I was teaching you were gone and out of there. Zero Tolerance!

When it comes to the P 64, Norm and Dick are the experts plain and simple! Experience is what makes experts not a video camera and a computer. That's my position. I have seen accidential shootings and been in a few gun fight in my time.

There just can never be too much safety with firearms! I am old enough to know better and young enough to learn. I am straight laced black and white with no tolerance for gray! That's just me!
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Since this isn't YOUR range and it is OUR forum for all of us to enjoy please tone down the preaching and relax just a smidge. This isn't the place to try to prove anything it is the place to have casual conversations. So please lighten up so folks can post their thoughts without being worried that you will bite their heads off. I don't want to start anything here however I really don't want to see anyone trashed or bullied for posting an opinion.
boomer

Post by boomer »

I am hopefully included in the snakry "OUR Forum" comment! I am not trying to prove anything. Guns don't kill people. Stupid People with Guns do! I am only trying to share some real life experiences and knowledge. I am not biting any heads off. The Cat in the You Tube Video is an idiot and I will never change my position on that.

I am an old man and it wasn't by dumb luck that I got to be! History should never be something that just happens to you while you are planning your future.

Stay well and be Safe

Boomer
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

boomer wrote:When it comes to the P 64, Norm and Dick are the experts plain and simple!
While I take that as a compliment, I'm not going to pretend that I know as much as Norm has probably forgotten.

This board has always been a place to share common knowledge and every day kind of posts. It's never been hardcore in any fashion, nor has it been a place to criticize anyone. Some times we get off-topic, but it's entertaining. In the rare even that something inappropriate creeps up, we usually nail it before it sees daylight.

Calling the guy an idiot isn't called for, nor do I agree with it - I don't know him. I didn't see any issue in the video with how he handled the gun. If he wants to point it at his computer or video camera, that's fine with me - his finger never touched the trigger and the safety was on.

japanesegunguy, this is a super friendly place to learn and hang out. I apologize if I came across too strong. If you want to learn some history and the basics of your P64, hit the home page and do some reading. This forum goes all the way back to late 2005, so it's filled with useful info regarding the P64.

boomer, thanks for your comments, but that's enough. Your attitude doesn't reflect the one we've been building here for the past 5 years.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Man, give me a minute and I'll be doing that Rodney King thing. If I had the time. I'd go burn a couple of hundred rounds. Once again new guys, welcome, we really do want you here. Really Honest!!
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Yes boomer you are part of my "our forum" comment, there is plenty of room for all of us (just no elbows!)