My modified P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
alaziela

My modified P-64

Post by alaziela »

Hey all,

I'm sort of a new member. I've been reading about modifications and fixes on the forum before I signed on. I got mine from a friend before moving out west. Since I'm a gunsmith, I've been told I can't just let a gun be. I guess from what I've been doing to this one I proved them right. Mine started out looking like a standard P-64 with the triangle hammer, and thumb rest grips. Here is the list of things I've done so far.

1. I machined new sights unto the slide. They're much easier to see then the stock "sights".

2. I had also done some trigger work lightening the pull. The mod there is very much the same posted on here.

3. I had bi-toned the gun. The flats on the sides of the gun are polished, and the rest is black.

4. I had modified the existing grips to give it more "bite". I stippled them to make the existing panels wrap around into one panel. Which I later painted the panel blue, to give contrast to the smooth black outline on the grips.

I'm also thinking about checkering the front strap to maximize the gripping surface, looking into how to install a beaver tail, and in the process of making wood grips.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

My modified P-64

Post by dolang1 »

Pics, I need to see some pictures of this gun. I'm especially excited about the sights. My old eyes need to see some pictures of these modified sights. Pics, please.
alaziela

My modified P-64

Post by alaziela »

When I figure out how to post pics on the forum, I'll snap a few and get them up here. Lol like I said kinda new.
steve98664

My modified P-64

Post by steve98664 »

Someone on here told me to use photobucket.com and the link on the front to posting pics works also. You just cut and past the stuff.....

Photobucket makes the links for you to so you can let people jump to the photos or make the picture appear here....

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1132531697

I would like to see the pics too so I hope this helps!
Last edited by steve98664 on October 30th, 2006, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alaziela

My modified P-64

Post by alaziela »

Thanks that did help out. Okay these are not professional grade pics, but they give the general idea. The rear sight does overhang a little bit on each side. I carry this in a holster and causes no problems. I didn't think it looked bad.

nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

My modified P-64

Post by nbender »

Love the grips.
steve98664

My modified P-64

Post by steve98664 »

Thanks alaziela!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

My modified P-64

Post by abwehr »

Excellent work on the P-64, and I love the frips too! Thanks for sharing the photos!!
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

My modified P-64

Post by duggi60 »

Super job on the whole P64 -- really like the sights, now I have
to try to add some sights to one of my P64s.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

My modified P-64

Post by dolang1 »

Thanks for the pics. Where do I find sights like that and how much work did you do to make them fit? I see a lot of filing and swearing in my future.
alaziela

My modified P-64

Post by alaziela »

The sights I had pulled from a bunch of sights that were pulled from various other guns. They looked very close to those off a 1911. And they both are solid steel so if I wanted to shape them later I could. I had milled the dove-tails in, and did a very small amount of file work. The rear sight was just opened up to the larger size. I didn't want to risk going any deeper since I had no idea how much metal was between the old sight and the loaded chamber indicator.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by alaziela on October 31st, 2006, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alaziela

My modified P-64

Post by alaziela »

I've just recently added a beaver tail to the frame of my P-64. I haven't shot it to see if it makes a difference. I hopefully will get to the range and try it out.
Last edited by alaziela on November 8th, 2006, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alaziela

My modified P-64

Post by alaziela »

Here are some pics for those curious about the beaver-tail mod.

barnett3006

My modified P-64

Post by barnett3006 »

Very nice!!!

So, how does it shoot?
rjsixgun

My modified P-64

Post by rjsixgun »

How did you add the bever-tail??? looks great, I've been thinking about the same thing. Useing a 1911 beaver-tail and JB welding it to the frame.