Lightening a P64

Info, pictures, advice...
fraybentos

Lightening a P64

Post by fraybentos »

Anyone ever thought about lightening their P64?

I was thinking the piece of metal in front of the trigger guard serves no real purpose, and maybe is an ounce or two.

I guess most of the weight is in the slide, and being a blowback pistol changing the slides weight may affect reliability.

The trigger guard could be made thinner...drilling multiple holes in the front part of the grip and backstrap...how about it?

I am not particularly concerned with looks, I want to preserve reliability- but am not too concerned with dirt getting in, I just am thinking of ways to slim down this chunker!
barnett3006

Lightening a P64

Post by barnett3006 »

You could do that...and hack up a perfectly good gun, or you could just get a Hungarian F.E.G. PA-63. They are Makarov/PPK clones chambered in 9x18mm like the P-64, only they have an aluminum alloy frame. You can find them for just as cheap as you can a P-64 also.

Its just a thought, but it would seem a little easier ;).
Last edited by barnett3006 on October 24th, 2006, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunnelrat

Lightening a P64

Post by tunnelrat »

I just am thinking of ways to slim down this chunker!
It's your gun. Feel free! Please get back to us with a range report.

On my part, I've never really considered the P-64 to be a "chunker". Rather it is slim and compact -- much easier to carry, handle, and conceal than my Kahr P-9 which otherwise has much the same weight and dimensions.

As a rule, I make it a point to carry my P-64 whenever I go to the opera. It just seems so James Bondish!

To each his own!
fraybentos

Lightening a P64

Post by fraybentos »

No offense meant by 'chunker' but its all steel construction means it is heavy for its size.

I carry mine and am looking for a way to 'lighten the load'!
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Lightening a P64

Post by bzinggg »

The forward slide rail, at it's designed strength and weight, proportionally to the balance of the parts of the P-64, is integral and necessary for the optimum operational performance of the pistol. It provides a long and therefore more stable race for the slide rails to bear against, preventing "whip" in the travel of the slide which, if allowed by the shortening of the forward platform, eventually will gall the rails and ruin the gun. It could even cause a catastrophic failure.

I suggest that perhaps you are not holstered correctly, for surly the P-64 is the sweetest feeling little auto to ever fit the CCW bill.