I purchased a P-64 in excellent condition.

Info, pictures, advice...
cpu77

Post by cpu77 »

I recently received my P-64. However there was slide wear on the nose. I would like to buy one with no wear. This one was in excellent condition. I only paid $159 from Dans Ammo but I would gladly pay more for a perfect one. This one shoots great and the wear is really not that but I want a perfect one. Anyone know where I might find one? The ones at Aim and J&G seemed to be the same from their pictures. BTW great little pistol!

Thanks
Ralph
stover

Post by stover »

First you will need to take a trip in the way back machine to pre 1983 Poland ... Just kidding.
The P64's are surplus guns and finding one in like new condition is gonna take a little bit of luck.
Happy hunting!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Use a little cold blue and touch it up, that's what I did. Like "stover" said, you'll have a hard time finding one that doesn't have the blue worn off the muzzle end of the slide. Mostly from being holstered and just rubbing against the leather.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

+1
robalan

Post by robalan »

I know boomer refinishes his guns. It sounds like he does a really good job on them. You may want to contact him for advice.

If you somehow find an unblemished one I suggest you buy it, but still keep the one you have. I like having a gun I do not have to worry about messing up.

Post by 12051 »

I just purchased one from Jim at ammowholesale. There was no wear on it anywhere, even the safety, and not even a scratch on the same serial #'d mag. (the 2nd mag was used, and had a different ser #). I'd call mine like new, no question. Look him up on the 3rd page of messages under the "Get 'em while they're hot" thread. He sent a cleaning rod with it, and unlike many others ships USPS (ie, cheaper). Very pleased with my purchase. Mine was a '77.
jstarck

Post by jstarck »

I got mine from www.militarygunsupply.com (it was the last one they had when I ordered a couple weeks ago). It looks to be in very good shape and the bore looks like new. It was $169 and shipping was $12. It came with 2 magazines, so it was a good deal. My local FFL charged $15 to do the transfer, so I ended up with less than $200 in the whole deal.

I'm dying to shoot it but the range was packed the last time I went, so I have to wait until this weekend. All I've done is put some paint on the front sight, strip it/clean it, and lube it.

I picked up some ammo locally at a shop for $12.25 (Silver Bear) and $11.75 (Brown Bear) so those prices seemed very reasonable.
dburkott

Re: I purchased a P-64 in excellent condition.

Post by dburkott »

Unissued's are out there...and getting fewer by the day. I got mine from a guy in PA. Love it, especially after changing the springs. $ well spent...
boomer

Post by boomer »

Brownells Oxpho Blue and 0000 steel wool and with patients you will have a thing of beauty.

I totally strip the P 64 and bead blast all the parts then I put them all on a buffer then 1500 wet and dry paper. Once everything is polished like glass, then they hit the blue tank. When I get them back together then I tune and custom fit them. I want the shine on every part to look 10 inches deep. There is just nothing like the feeling of a polished and fitted pistol when you rack it.

My Mossberg 500 will rack itself if you shine a light on it.....LOL! :mrgreen:
robalan

Post by robalan »

boomer wrote:Brownells Oxpho Blue and 0000 steel wool and with patients you will have a thing of beauty.

I totally strip the P 64 and bead blast all the parts then I put them all on a buffer then 1500 wet and dry paper. Once everything is polished like glass, then they hit the blue tank. When I get them back together then I tune and custom fit them. I want the shine on every part to look 10 inches deep. There is just nothing like the feeling of a polished and fitted pistol when you rack it.

Boomer, I am really new at some of this stuff. The refinishing is something I would like to try. What is bead blasting? Thanks
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

robalan wrote:Boomer, I am really new at some of this stuff. The refinishing is something I would like to try. What is bead blasting? Thanks
It's kind of like sand blasting but using glass beads instead. Normally the object being blasted is in a cabinet and pelted with thousands of little beads to knock off any surface corrosion. It can also dimple the surface of the steel so that paints or other surface coatings have better adhesion to the steel.

Glass beads are manufactured from lead-free, soda lime-type glass, containing no free silica that is made into preformed ball shapes. Glass beads produce a much smoother and brighter finish than angular abrasives. Glass beads can be recycled approximately 30 times.

Glass bead blasting produces a clean, bright, satin finish, without dimensional change of the parts. Available in a wide range of sizes, glass beads are primarily used in blasting cabinets for honing, polishing, peening, blending, finishing, removing light burrs and cleaning most light foreign matter. For delicate thin-walled parts and thin welds, peening with glass bead abrasive material provides the right balance of stress relief without over-stressing and causing damage.
robalan

Post by robalan »

juniustaylor wrote:
robalan wrote:Boomer, I am really new at some of this stuff. The refinishing is something I would like to try. What is bead blasting? Thanks
It's kind of like sand blasting but using glass beads instead. Normally the object being blasted is in a cabinet and pelted with thousands of little beads to knock off any surface corrosion. It can also dimple the surface of the steel so that paints or other surface coatings have better adhesion to the steel.

Glass beads are manufactured from lead-free, soda lime-type glass, containing no free silica that is made into preformed ball shapes. Glass beads produce a much smoother and brighter finish than angular abrasives. Glass beads can be recycled approximately 30 times.

Glass bead blasting produces a clean, bright, satin finish, without dimensional change of the parts. Available in a wide range of sizes, glass beads are primarily used in blasting cabinets for honing, polishing, peening, blending, finishing, removing light burrs and cleaning most light foreign matter. For delicate thin-walled parts and thin welds, peening with glass bead abrasive material provides the right balance of stress relief without over-stressing and causing damage.
I was looking at the Birchwood Casey Perma Fin Air Cure Gun Finishing Kit. The kit has instructions mentioning blasting 120 grit aluminum oxide. When I saw that I was looking up sand blasters. Can you recommend one? I found the one below that looks interesting:

www.vaniman.com/mobile-problast-80017.php
boomer

Post by boomer »

robalan wrote:
boomer wrote:Brownells Oxpho Blue and 0000 steel wool and with patients you will have a thing of beauty.

Boomer, I am really new at some of this stuff. The refinishing is something I would like to try. What is bead blasting? Thanks
To start refinishing you don't need a bead blaster or a sand blaster. You can remove old blue with a Scotch Scrubby and some Navel Jelly. You can also just use the Scotch Brite Scrubby and some elbow grease.

Polishing parts and the pistol surface can be done with 800 and 1500 grit wet/dry paper form any auto parts store.

Numer 0000 grade steel wool is also needed.

To get started order some Oxphio-Blue Cream form Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1108 ... reg__CREME

Then get some # 0000 fine steel wool from Lowes in the paint section.

Start with the slide. Steel wool the worn areas then follow the directions on the Oxpho- Blue. I am confident you will be pleased with the results.

Once you get the hang of it then add a little heat from a hair dryer.

Surface prep is everthing. If you strip the slide down to bare metal and polish it with 800/1500 paper it will get smooth and shinny. Then hit it a few times with the Oxpho-Blue and buff with steel wool a few times and it will get like glass. The more you do it the better it will become. Rubber Gloves are a must. I use disposable medical examination gloves.

Please feel free to contact me at boomer92544@comcast.net if you have any questions.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

boomer is leading you in the right direction. Follow that guidance and you should be set to go. I have used the Brownell's Oxpho-Blue (liquid) a few times with excellent results. However, you really have to use it on white steel. Don't expect to use it on a gun with some wear spots and get it to blend with the original dark blue from the manuf. The paste should be equally as good and nice to work with since it'd be a bit less messy and would stick to the steel. Should yield an excellent color.