P64 shooting recoil question

Info, pictures, advice...
jamestday

Post by jamestday »

I'm thinking of getting a P64 for my wife to shoot and maybe carry. I'm worried that even with a replacement recoil spring she is not going to like shooting it.

I've got a TT-33 and XDM-40 and the recoil of both are too much for her.

How would the recoil w/ a new spring compare to a full size 9mm luger like a Ruger or Beretta?
Self-determination, the autonomy of the individual, asserts itself in the right to race his automobile, to handle his power tools, to buy a gun and to communicate to mass audiences his opinion.
daytonaknight

Post by daytonaknight »

A stronger spring helps but it's really not a cure.

I have an XD SC in 9mm (actually a .40 with a 9MM conversion barrel). It's not a full size but I can shoot it all day without discomfort. The P64 with 20 Lb spring - I'm ready to quit after about 50 rounds. It's not that the recoil is greater, it's just sharper and gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.

I've heard it helps to also get a grip condom - one of those rubber grips that slips over the gun's grip. That absorbs some of the harshness of the recoil. I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

If she is going to carry a gun and doesn't care for recoil then the p-64 is not for her. This gun is not ever going to be recoil friendly.

How about a keltec p32 which is dao and from all reports has a manageable trigger pull and not too snappy recoil.

Or else pick her up a beretta 22 tip up gun or a 32 tip up gun.

If you want something similar to the p-64 but recoil friendly maybe a cz-50 or cz-70 which fires the 32 as well.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

There are plenty of folks around here who will tell you the P-64 will rip your hand right off. I'm just missing a thumb due to mine though.
Most blow back designs have rather sharp recoil. Considering the 9x18 is marginal for self defense you may want to look at a locked breech design in 9x19. Something like a Keltec PF-9, P-11 or a Taurus 709. The PF-9 and 709 are no larger than a P-64, they're lighter and pack a bigger punch.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Donny I will have to take issue with that. The PF-9, PF-11 have a very sharp recoil as well and I do not find the 9 x 18 to be a marginal self defense caliber either in my opinion!

That said, I own the Kel-Tec PF-9 and it is a superb firearm. I also feel the P 64 is a superb firearm and do not feel under protected when carrying either of them. I also have the PA3T and it also is a superb little gem.

Recoil is a fact of life with all handguns as well as rifles. Every action has an opposite and equal reaction. The only way to reduce recoil is to reduce the caliber projectile size and charge level.

I personally know of a 240 lb, 6 foot 6 inch tall police officer who lost his life to a Jennings pistol shooting a single .25 caliber bullet after he shot the subject 4 times with his .45 caliber service weapon. The human body just was not made to endure being struck with projectiles hitting it that are traveling around 1000 feet a second regardless of size.