How to remove P64 firing pin to clean channel?

Info, pictures, advice...
najaf

Post by najaf »

I just dont have any idea how to go about it. I would like to clean the channel of any factory grease to prefvent slam fire phenomenon. I have done that to my Russian Makarov which is easy but how about the P64 , is the firing pin spring loaded or not?
Thanks
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

najaf

I think I have read every post on this board and I don't think there hasn't been one slam fire yet with the P-64 it has firing pin spring in it but if you must clean this area best get a plastic bag that you can see though and put both your hands in and the gun because you have to take the safety out of the gun first to take firing pin out and the spring will fly out if not care full I'll can tell you how to do this over the phone but can't wright it out

email me at NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on October 8th, 2006, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Getting the firing pin back in is a lot tougher than getting it out. ???
Why not try squirting Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner through the firing pin hole in the breach using the plastic spray tube that comes with those products? The firing pin on the P-64 uses a return spring, the Mak does not. You can take out the safety by wiggling it slightly back and forth between the two detent positions and pulling it out to the left while while holding the firing pin forward through the breach. To get the firing pin all the way forward you need to use a thin tool to push it in from the rear while the safety is "off". Be careful you don't lose the safety detent plunger and safety detent plunger spring or the firing pin or firing pin spring. That's why Norm says to use a plastic bag. The hard part is keeping the firing pin and safety detent plunger pushed in while installing the safety. ASK NORM HOW FIRST!
Last edited by pshootr on October 8th, 2006, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
najaf

Post by najaf »

I think your idea of blasting with a chemical cleaner is a good idea. I will just do that instead of mesing up on reassembly back the whole thing.
Thanks again . I m begging to love this little P64. Again what a wondering feeling to have a gun made when I was just 6 yrs old in 1973. Thank goodness we can C R handguns. only in AMerica.
najaf

Post by najaf »

I think your idea of blasting with a chemical cleaner is a good one. I will just do that instead of messing up on reassembling back the whole thing.
Thanks again . I m beginning to love this little P64. Again what a wondering feeling to have a gun made when I was just 6 yrs old in 1973. Thank goodness we can own C R handguns. Only in AMerica.
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

What a job getting it back in!!!! I was an armorer and I had a major headache getting it bact together. Use the spray in the hole suggested by the other person. It is much easier. Just put a drop or 2 of break free CLP in the hole, and on the safety side after the cleaner dries. The detent pin that keeps the safety in position is a bear to install.