Trigger stays forward when hammer cocked - okay?

Info, pictures, advice...
obvinityel

Post by obvinityel »

Hello, all. When my P64 has the hammer cocked, the trigger stays in the forward position, just as if the hammer was down. The pistol still fires and functions correctly. Firing single action, the trigger has a lot of effortless take-up, then resistance right at the end of the trigger travel just before it fires. Is this normal? ???

I replaced the hammer spring with a lighter Wolff spring, but the P64 is otherwise unmodified. The pistol works perfectly in single or double-action mode, but I am curious why the hammer stays forward when cocked. I have a Walther PPK and a Makarov, and the triggers move back when their hammers are cocked. Are all P64 pistols like mine? I have never seen another P64, so I do not know. Thank you.
bigduke6

Post by bigduke6 »

your good to go. that is normal operation for the p64
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

obvinityel,
The condition you describe is not normal. The trigger should have a short pull when fired in the SA mode, just like your Walther and Makarov.
Apparently bigduke has the same problem.
I don't have the solution to the problem at this time. Maybe someone here has some insight.
brock123

Post by brock123 »

Mine is the same way hmm.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

My bad.
You guys are right. Don't know what I was thinking. Too many guns....
brock123

Post by brock123 »

Good because I tore it apart and couldn't figure out how the trigger bar would be pushed forward looking at the hammer.
Last edited by brock123 on February 7th, 2010, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obvinityel

Post by obvinityel »

Thank you, gentlemen. The consensus seems to be that my P64 pistol is operating normally. I was a bit concerned because every other double-action pistol (or revolver) I have owned has the trigger move back to the shorter single-action position when the hammer is cocked, as shown by the Walther PPK in the original photograph. I guess this "trigger stays forward even when cocked" quirk is unique to the P64 design. That is fine with me, as the pistol handles and shoots well. I prefer the P64 to my Walther PPK - it's a great little pistol, especially for the money. Mine has proven 100% reliable with ball, Silver Bear JHP and CorBon PowerBall, and I (having installed the Wolff spring) could not be happier. Thanks for the reassurances.
boomer

Post by boomer »

The P 64 has a single cut hammer and sear configuration which from what I can determine will have no affect on trigger position because the activation levers and not staged as they are in a Walthers or a Bersa clone of the Walthers. That is just my findings based on the P 64 (1973) I have rebuilt and learned from.