New guy, just bought a '67 P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
phantomcaptain

Post by phantomcaptain »

Hey all,

New member here. I'd been interested in a P-64 for awhile now as I had no 9x18mm in my collection. After reading about and researching the P-64 I decided I really wanted one.

Went to a gun show this weekend and happened on the only one at any table in the entire show. It's a TN Guns import dated 1967 and looks, for the most part, brand new. No wear, deep blue, almost no marks anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even ever fired. I'm SUPER pleased with it and got a pretty good deal all things considered. It came with three mags and the guy had it priced at $230. I offered $200 cash out the door and he agreed. That pretty much would cover shipping, FFL, etc from any place I could order one and I got to inspect it before buying.

Had a couple issues with the two bonus mags that came with it and after inspecting them noticed they were a touch different than the mag in the pistol. The rails on top were a bit longer on the extra mags. Quick fix with my dremel tool and some sand paper and now all work and feed flawlessly. At least by hand.

Can't wait to get it out now and put some rounds through it! Picked up a few boxes of brown bear and silver bear while I was there too.

Lots of great info here and some super knowledgable people it seems! Glad I found you all.
Last edited by phantomcaptain on February 3rd, 2010, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Welcom aboard. I just bought one on Thursday and am waiting for the weather
to break.
Denny
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

:)

Welcome aboard.

You will find a lot of interesting reading here.

We like photos too!

Fritzhund

8-)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

Congrads on your new p-64, im sure you will be very pleased with it!
Happy Shooting!
dom

Post by dom »

Welcome to the forum.
$200.00 is the gun show price here also, hard to find one like new however. Let us know how she shoots.
phantomcaptain

Post by phantomcaptain »

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'll try to take a few pics along with the magazine mods I did and get them up this evening. Can't wait to get a few rounds through it.

Really loving this new addition and very pleased with what I found! I think I'll soon be one of the big advocates of these pistols as you all are.
phantomcaptain

Post by phantomcaptain »

Ok,

Here's the promised pics!

Here you can see where I cut back the mouth and top rails on magazines that weren't feeding correctly. I guess two of mine were aftermarket or non-original mags? Either way, they certainly were not feeding at all til I cut them back to match the one that works.

Last edited by phantomcaptain on February 3rd, 2010, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

That guns just crap! So go ahead and mail it to me please.

:P

Interesting about the magazines that might need to go into the sticky section as a fix for aftermarket mags.

My gun came with flat grips and having used my friends pa-63 i prefer them.
cichlid

Post by cichlid »

Nice gun, you got a great one.

Just an FYI on the mags. I have three P-64's a 67, 68 and 75. The longer rail mags feed the 68 and 75 just fine, but don't feed the 67.
phantomcaptain

Post by phantomcaptain »

Ok!!

Got out to the indoor range today to try out the new addition. Umm, wow!! Performed flawlessly, no problems whatsoever! The accuracy is really amazing too. I shot Brown Bear and Silver Bear 94 grains FMJs without a hitch for either.

I LOVE this pistol!! The recoil was not bad at all, I was expecting a bit more but maybe the heavier bullets make it worse than what I was shooting. Really it was comparable to my PPK/s .380. I carry it more comfortably than my PPK/s too. Can't believe a $200 surplus pistol is taking the place of my top of the line Walther. Oh well!!!

I'm a total believer now.
boomer

Post by boomer »

As a recent member, permit me to share a few things with you. Take the mags apart and scrub the crud out of them. That really helped mine. Yes I agree that they are great little guns and great for CCW. My Glock 26 now resides in the safe. I am a gunsmith and build custom 1911's for the "Got to have that .45 cannon crowd". I have a great customer base as those close tolerance 1911 never do work right but hey, I give them what they want. There are some great guys on here that have been around guns for years and are willing to share their knowledge and don't partake in Internet Rumors.
phantomcaptain

Post by phantomcaptain »

Next up is a CZ-82. Gonna order one in the next week or two along with 500 rounds of silver bear. In all my years being around guns can't believe how badly i've overlooked these eastern bloc guns and the 9 x 18mm Mak cartridge. Good stuff and something new to play with! Especially since the shortage of .380. In handguns I also own a Beretta Tomcat .32, .380 PPK/s, .22 Ruger Mk III, a Colt .45 1991a1 and a P99 9mm. One of my most prized possessions though is a '44 Walther P-38 bringback with no importation marks. It was given to me.

I also have a couple of .22 rifles, a couple ARs, an AK and a bunch of ww2 surplus bolt actions (love love love). .303 Enfield dated 1942, a Mosin Nagant '43, a German K98 '40, an '03 Springfield made in '16 and rebarrelled in '44, ann M1 Carbine .30, a Thompson .45 (semi auto) as well as an M1 Garand. My biggest interest though is black powder which I grew up with and was handed down to me from my father. I have a ton of cap and ball pistols and both percussion and flintlock rifles with an emphasis on Civil War arms. Just giving a bit of background on me and what I'm into. My fiance and I cast all our own blackpowder balls and minies all winter waiting for the summer. She loves shooting as much as me and has her own civil war rifle as well as her own '61 Navy .36 which she has become most proficient with. We both do CW reenacting all summer! Yep, I'm a pretty lucky guy all things considered.
Last edited by phantomcaptain on February 7th, 2010, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stentheawesome

Post by stentheawesome »

I just bought a P64 myself. I think it'll be a good shooter and I can't wait to try it out.

You'll love the CZ82. I did have to trim down the insides of my grips because they would pinch the mag if I tightened the grips too tight. Apart from that mine has been very reliable, super accurate, and probably the pistol I shoot the best out of my collection.
probyt

Post by probyt »

I wish my $200.00 gun was in that kind of shape.