Daughter-in-law and the P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

My daughter-in-law took a gun class and ask me if I would take her shooting. I took a 22 for her, 3 32s and the P-64 for my son and I. We started her off on the 22 and the 32s while my son and I had a shooting contest with the P-64. She wanted to shoot the P-64 but my son told her it kicked too hard. Well, she shot the P-64, a 1911, and a S&W 500, then called us sissies for complaining about the kick. She said she liked the P-64 best so I ordered her one from SOG and some pink grips from Zeeborg.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Hey Don, Christian might be able to make you some pink maple grips--he can order some stain from a luthier's supply catalog he gets, will turn light -colored maple to bright yellow, blue, green, even pink...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Or you might take a look at this one
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

Himmel, I really think she would like those. I'll probably get her those or a similar pair for
Christmas. I sold a Zastava to a girl in my office. Has Christian tried making grips for them yet? If he does you won't be carrying anything cause all of your arms will be in the woodshop. How do you take grips off of the Zastava? They seem to be bradded on. Later Don
kempin

Post by kempin »

Don,

Sounds like your son married well.

I'm not sure that I would have the guts to shoot a S&W 500. I have seen those rounds and read the ballistics.

What a woman.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Hi Don--No we have never figured out how to get the grips off the Zastava--I'm like you, looks like a rivet holding them on, I start to pry them out from inside the grip and then I stop because I'm afraid I'll break something... Like you said, tho, it's just as well, I would be reduced to carrying my Nagant revolver--LOL!
robertwilliam

Post by robertwilliam »

Himmel, I worked upon a Zastava .32 acp single action pistol once. It sorta looked like a miniture Takarov. Is that what you have? If so I seem to remember the grips were held in place by pieces of flat springlike metal that are riveted to the backside of each grip scale. You should be able to remove them by inserting a thin screwdriver blade into the mag well and using it to rotate the metal pieces so as to disengage them from the frame.
I hope that might offer some small assistance.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

Thanks, Robertwilliam, I finally got my Zastava grips off. and himmel you don't want to build grips for these guns. It would take a machine shop to reproduce these metal grip retainers. Later Don
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Must be the same gun--Zastava Model 70. Thanks for the info guys, I'll pass it along...