New pistol break in

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

New pistol break in

Post by kempin »

Hey guys,

I haven't been around in a while--mostly because I haven't found time to shoot in a while--but today I got the chance to take my second p-64 to the range for a break in. (You know, the one you talked me into buying . . .) This was new out of the paper, all I did was clean the cosmoline and oil it up when it came in.

I was shooting hand loads: 3.3 grains of universal over a 95 grain lead bullet, using trimmed luger cases.

At first, I was kind of worried. I had put up two targets on 8 1/2 x 11 paper at about seven yards, and I could barely keep them on the paper. I mean, they were all OVER the place. The trigger, too, made me nervous. There were several times it failed to engage in single action; as though the safety were on.

Not to worry, though. After about 30 rounds it started to group. After about 50 rounds, it was grouping as well as I could shoot it--holes touching right at the point of aim, standing, offhand. (I did have a two hand stance, but was not braced, as I typically would be if testing a load.)

Man! That sucker shot RIGHT ON! I told my range buddy, "Not bad for an $150 piece of surplus junk, huh?" The DA is still horrible, but my experience so far is that the more these break in, the better they get.

Final note: If you hand load, this load (at least in my experience) seems to be magic. If not, you might want to consider it . . .

I tell you, the longer I own a p-64, the more convinced I am that I got an absolute steal.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
steve98664

New pistol break in

Post by steve98664 »

My P64 has always worked ok, but this past weekend I was shooting it at 20 yards and I was amazed at how accurate and reliable it is. I recently did some work to correct the safety from falling and while that is solved, the overall operation of the pistol seems better than ever!

The ivory white zee grips on the black frame brought inquiries at the range. This is one great deal as you mentioned!

I did polish up my feed ramp during subsequent cleaning after this range visit since I want to try more HP ammo. I ran 2 boxes of RAM, one box of S&B, and one box of new silver bear HP ammo through it without issue. I'm at about 500 rounds through this pistol total by my calculation. It appeared like new when I got it except for the flat grip which had deep bottom edge scratches that may have been storage/moving marks. The thumbrest grip was like new.

The mainspring tweak works well but I may get an 18# on my next order from Wolff since the SA is really light.

I think the small size of the pistol and the long mag base plate force me to hold this pistol in a very stable fashion. I was grouping about 4" at 20 yards with flyers staying within 8". For me, in an unsupported isosceles ready, reaction stance that is great!