Dry Firing the P-64?

Info, pictures, advice...
truth

Dry Firing the P-64?

Post by truth »

What are your thoughts, out there, on the repeated dry firing of this fine gun? Pros and cons... ??? Here's a penny for your thoughts!!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Dry Firing the P-64?

Post by papabear »

truth,

IMO, of the four P-64's I have/had, now I only have 3, gave one to my future son-in-law, I dry fired them all several times to lighten the DA trigger, I also have shot them a lot and in time the DA got lighter and smoother till I have no need to change the springs. Having said that, I am sure some if not many may disagree, however, I was told by a gunsmith in FL during a show down there, that little pistol's are built like a tank and because of their design dry firing wouldn't hurt them, that it would help to loosen them up. Of the three I have now, one is a 1968, one is a 1969, and the third one is a 1976, the 1976 is the stiffest of the three and I have shot it less and dry fired it less too, I am going Monday to shoot a Star BM [1986] I just got, along with a S&W model 36 no-dash with a flat latch and matching #grips, and I CCW with a P-64; so I am taking the 76' to shoot also. I have found the more I shoot the p-64's the better they become especially the DA. I do have a good friend that has shot all three of my P-64's and the 68' & 69' he likes to shoot, but the 76' he says he can hardly pull the trigger, however, I don't have that problem, but it is a little heaver pull than the other to. So, I guess what I am saying is we are all different, what is good for me might not be good for someone else and vise versa.

I'm sure there others here more experienced than me on the P-64, so I am so maybe they might share their thoughts too.

Regards,
Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
herrmannek

Dry Firing the P-64?

Post by herrmannek »

Why to dry fire if there is decoker? Don't dry fire it shortens life of every pin, if you want to train skillz( safety, malfunctions,smooth trigger) buy snapcaps...
Last edited by herrmannek on September 24th, 2006, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pshootr

Dry Firing the P-64?

Post by pshootr »

IMHO, dry firing MAY do no harm at all. Or it MAY lead to a broken firing pin, broken firing pin spring, broken hammer or a broken hammer block. When you dry fire you lose the cushioning effect of the primer on the firing pin, and the stress is transmitted back up the line to the hammer. I have never heard of this happening with the P-64, so it's probably safe to do, but it has happened to me with other pistols. :'(
. . . PshootR . . .
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Dry Firing the P-64?

Post by himmel »

The guy who instructed my CCL class told us trhat generally, dry-firing is a good way to learn how to handle a pistol when you don't have the oppty to get to a range all the time, and he dry-fired his all the time. The guy that instructed my sons' 4- rifle team suggested dry-firing their rifles at home--and he was talking about rimfires! :0 ! I've heard it both ways so ofetn now i don't know quite what to think, but I don't dry-fire rimfires if i can help it, and i'm starting to get leery of repeated dry-firing of centerfires--I did a lot of dry-firing my P64 to loosen the trigger, it doesn't seem to have hurt anything--but I see no reason to keep doing it, so I have pretty much quit...
pshootr

Dry Firing the P-64?

Post by pshootr »

On many modern rimfire firearms the firing pin won't contact the rim of the chamber when they are dryfired because it is either too short or the design incorporates a firing pin stop. Ruger .22 automatics have a firing pin stop, but they can be assembled without it, so you should check to be sure.
. . . PshootR . . .
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Dry Firing the P-64?

Post by papabear »

+1 with himmel, I dried fried all my 64's to loosen up the DA and that along with shooting the heck out of these little tanks and it has lessened the DA pull a bunch, however, I don't do it any more either, because they pull fine now, going to the range today to shoot my 76' P-64, I shoot all the 64' at least once a month, especially the one I carry.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER