ammo for home protection?

Info, pictures, advice...
jebib3

Post by jebib3 »

ammo for the range is not ammo for home protection,right? So while using something like fmg brown bear for the range may be a good choice, what are examples of good choices for ammo for the home protection scene? Or suffice it to say that a hollow point bullet works? thanks!
wapari

Post by wapari »

I use Silver Bear HP's and they feed just fine.
deltacornbread

Post by deltacornbread »

wapari wrote:I use Silver Bear HP's and they feed just fine.
Same here. Would like to see some quality home defense ammo for the 9x18.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I actually think your range ammo is possibly one of the best choices in this caliber since penetration and shot placement are what it is all about. Plus-- I don't know that you will over penetrate much in a house with makarov ammo.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Merry Christmas fellas'

Hornady is a good choice. If you can find it. Georgia Arms also sells, brass case with Speer Gold Dot JHPs. But has a long lead time. Silver Bear has JHP's, but has questional expansion.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

12 GA. 00 buck

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
lcberlin

Post by lcberlin »

I load up with the Corbon PowRball ammo. 75gr hollow point with a nylon ball in the hollow to help feeding.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/Glaser-PowRBa ... 00/Product
dom

Post by dom »

jebib3 wrote:ammo for the range is not ammo for home protection,right?
jeb- I'm of the opinion that it's very important to practice with the same ammo at the range that I'd use for self defense. I want flawless performance at the range with the same ammo and firearm that my (and my loved ones) life is depending on.
Shooting paper and/or plinking with different ammo is fine, but i make it a point to always put a few mags of my SD ammo downrange before leaving. Just gives me a little extra peace of mind.
paulski

Post by paulski »

I use this:
You can find it here:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ ... ts_id/3028

It does this:

This is extreme shock, the brand I carry in my Glock, but they don't make it in 9X18.
The difference between Glaser PowerBall & Extreme Shock AFR is Extreme's pre-fragmented pieces are made of tungsten.

IMPORTANT!!!!!
The reason one would carry this, is NOT because a shot in the arm would darn near blow it off... :o
You carry it because it is much less likely to penetrate walls in your home. ;)
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

From what I've seen on other boards and gel tests I no longer carry safety slugs. They do not penetrate enough and I don't want to shoot to make ugly surface wounds but to stop the threat.
Last edited by kurremkarm on December 25th, 2009, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darrell

Post by darrell »

The Hornadys will not chamber in my P-64. I have some pow'r ball for the P-64. I would have to agree with Norm though for home defense nothing beats a 12 guage pump with a 18.5" barrell. You don't have to aim as carefully and no one talks about one shot stops in relation to a 12 guage. For concealed carry, I think it depends on what your gun reliably feeds. Pick something that feeds 100%. Heavy clothing can clog a hollow point and hitting an arm bone could cause a fragmentation bullet to just damage the arm. I think it is matter of personal taste, I favor the Corbon Pow'r ball as it feeds reliability and the hollow points don't in my gun.
paulski

Post by paulski »

kurremkarm wrote:From what I've seen on other boards and gel tests I no longer carry safety slugs. They do not penetrate enough and I don't want to shoot to make ugly surface wounds.............
Oh, they do penatrate, just not as deep. They kinda explode when they get 2"-3" deep.
Last edited by paulski on January 7th, 2010, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

I agree with Norm.

Mossberg Cruiser/00 Buckshot Fiocchi Law Enforcement.

If someone would be stupid enough to enter my home with the intent to harm myself or my daughter there would not be much left except for a stain........

:(

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
918collector

Post by 918collector »

I have the Hornadys and also the aluminum-cased throwaways (Blazer(?) HP's) as well. I don't use reloads for defense ammo because I wouldn't want that to become an issue in court.
Agree with Norm on the 12ga but the load I have in supply is a 3" #1 load that I use for deer in dense cover.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

Paulski you make a good point. I am however sure that stopping the threat works best with good penetration and hitting the right target.