New Guy

Info, pictures, advice...
robertwilliam

New Guy

Post by robertwilliam »

Finally I am in. I see that I am not alone in my enthusiasm for the P64. I got one a while back and have been in love with it ever since. The trigger has since been slicked up a bit to where I am comfortable with it. While not 100% with some of the Russian ammo (light strikes) it is absolutely 100 % with Hornady XTP and CorBon whenever I can find it.
I carry it in a holster made by a local holster maker in south east Va. My only complaint is the thumdrest grips. How can I get the Zee Grips I have been reading about?
I found very quickly that my P64 will shoot nearly as well as my Makarovs which are substantially bigger.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New Guy

Post by bzinggg »

Welcome aboard! Great piece, the P-64.

The place to order the grips you seek is:

geospacesr@hotmail.com

He's just made up a new mold and I hear they are great, as usual. 8-)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

New Guy

Post by papabear »

robertwilliam,

Welcome and glad to have ya!

+1 with bzinggg, and Zee grips will make a big difference from the thumbrest grips IMO

Take Care,

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
steve98664

New Guy

Post by steve98664 »

Which russian ammo did you experience the light strikes with?

One of my other 9x18's had some with the new silver bear and I figured it was the pistol since my Mak and CZ82 have had no issues. The indentations that did not ignite were pretty deep.

I run S&B on my P64.

My zee grips are great and my P64 looks great with the ivory ones!

Check the Modifications, fixes and repairs section to get a hold of zee. 100% reliable as far as I am concerned.
Last edited by steve98664 on September 17th, 2006, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
primarchbentley

New Guy

Post by primarchbentley »

'nother "new guy" here (in owning a P-64 as well as knowing this place's existence), thanks to a recent gunshow and the desire to pick up a birthday present for myself. ;) Passed up a Makarov for now (still plan on one though) in favor of the slimmer P-64 for CCW (been hauling around far too much expensive computer equipment for my ease of mind lately, really want to get my permit).

It's been suggested that new owners search the forums for "getting started" advice (which I do plan on doing, I just need the time to do so), but I was wondering, might it be advisable to have a pinned "So you've picked up a P-64... now what?" thread for us n00bs?

I mean, I've already come across suggestions for spring replacements/snipping for felt recoil, but what do the "P-64 sages" suggest? Firearms have different characteristics, what would be a good "break in" time (200 rounds, 300, less...?) on a P-64 of unknown history, before mucking about with modifications?

I'll be taking her out to a range this coming weekend once I've had time to thoroughly strip, clean, and generally familiarize myself with her, I'm just trying to think of things to consider in the meanwhile, and what to look for once I do take her out. I have 150 rounds to put through her (I'd have more, only an 1895 Nagant revolver (I seem to have a thing for guns that take harder to find/expensive ammo, just ask my Arisaka Type 99 ::) ) followed me home instead of ammo, and my wallet had had enough abuse by that point...).

I hope all the talk of "heavy recoil" doesn't lead me to anticipate too much, hopefully some warm-up with the CZ-52 will help me limber up... Will post thoughts after my range time.
robertwilliam

New Guy

Post by robertwilliam »

Thanks for the input. The Russian Ammo I had light strikes with was Wolf. I think the new mainspring was a little weak for it. The indentations in the primer were sort of shallow. I dents AMERICAN primers good and deep though.
Right now I have no source of inexpensive 9x18. I have to find some. I have had very good luck with Rus and ChiCom Mil surplus. The stuff that comes in 16 round boxes. Never had a problem with that but I have no seen any in a long time.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New Guy

Post by bzinggg »

The new issue Silver Bear 94gr that AIM Surplus and J&G Sales sells is good for the P-64. I ran through a 100 rounds with a P-64, a CZ-82, and a Bulgy Mak. It was accurate, consistent, reliable and the recoil didn't bother me. Of course, I shoot heavier, hotter rounds a lot so what bothers others doesn't always bother me. As a general rule, a very firm grip is required for the proper functioning of any semi-automatic handgun. "Limp-wristing" is the cause of many failures to feed, and makes accuracy impossible. A loose grip will also cause more discomfort from recoil. The P-64 is a small pistol in a powerful, effective caliber, 9x18, so it is to be expected that recoil will be more readily felt. If your profession does not offer any opportunity to develope real hand and arm strength, which is the case with many folks today, a moderate weight training regimen for sholders, forearms, wrists, and grip will greatly improve you results at the range with handguns. Get a spring device for the grip, and 2 1/2, 5, and 10 lb weights on a dumbell bar for the forearms and wrist. (Available at Wally World very inexpensively). I suggest playing with a tennis ball daily for a half hour, tossing and catching it with each hand, equally, say, while you are watching TV, and outside against a wall if possible, to keep your co-ordination sharp as your muscles develope. If you are diligent, you will be amazed at the improved results you get at the range in just a few weeks. Shooting will become a real pleasure! If you can hold a P-64 on target, it will put them there. It is, without a doubt, the most accurate compact handgun available today.

Last edited by bzinggg on September 18th, 2006, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truth

New Guy

Post by truth »

That is beautiful, just beautiful, I love to see tight groups almost as much as I love to see a tight womens ass.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New Guy

Post by duggi60 »

I'm new to this P -64 group & I just purchased my first one.
Need a miracle to be able to fire this pistol with one hand, I can't
believe the heavy trigger pull -- two fingers to DA the trigger, one
from each hand. Problem is with a messed up shooting hand that
needs a light pull to fire any of my guns. Help from you guys would be much appreciated - not much of a gun smith, but I'm
learning.

:-[
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

New Guy

Post by normsutton »

Here is the fix for the DA trigger pull
http://p64.home.insightbb.com/fixes.htm

but I recommend the 18# Wolff spring because there has been reports of mag. drops with the 16# and the 14# is way to light

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Walt ... ml#PPKS9mm

HAMMER SPRINGS
Reduced Power...: 14, 16, 17, 18 and 19 Lb.
Stock No. 258xx - each.....$ 4.29

Try it in SA you may like it with out changing springs
but first make sure the gun is clean of cosmolene

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
rsojim

New Guy

Post by rsojim »

Norm is right on. I replaced my spring with the 18# and I found that the gun is much more accurate. The double action pull is now a pleasure to use. The single action is just a little light, but one must get use to their gun through practice. My gun has not failed using a variety of ammo since replacing the spring. I really like the 115 gn hollow points for carry use. Since I also shoot 44 mags regularly, I have no problem with recoil from the little p-64.
Practice, practice and more practice shooting will improve anyones ability to hit what they are aiming at.
kempin

New Guy

Post by kempin »

Primarchbentley,

I have a Mak and a p-64. I like the Mak. If there were no p-64s, I would probably be pretty enthusiastic about it. The more I shoot the p-64, though, the more I think it is actually superior to a Mak.

(Not picking a fight--just bear with me.) For one thing, it is just as accurate. In fact, my p-64s are more accurate than my Mak, but that might be the particular Mak that I own. Quality and reliability are a push, and they shoot the same caliber. The Mak has more parts and accesories available, but after carrying a p-64, the Mak feels like an boat anchor. That is a huge factor if you intend to carry.

This is NOT a rip on the Mak. I'm just saying that if you are patient and break in your p-64 properly, you might find that it is versatile enough to cover all of your 9x18 needs.

For what its worth.

And as long as I am spouting my opinions, I think that a p-64 owner should put a few hundred rounds through it and give it several thorough cleanings before considering any changes.

GBASS,

-Kempin

p.s. I'm also the guy that tries to talk everyone into hand loading for the p-64. I will never shoot another round of factory ammo from my p-64, with the exception of the ammo I use for carry. (Hornady)
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

New Guy

Post by himmel »

Gotta chirp in with Kempin--Clean the thing well, work the trigger well, the DA pull ought to become manageable, certainly enough to use it once (then the SA takes over anyway...) I do love my Mak too, and the extra rounds make the extra weight worth it to me--but it's the most user-friendly piece I have, so it stays where the womenfolks have access to it while I'm at work--and the P64 stays in the woodshop, unfortunately for me... :(
p64

New Guy

Post by p64 »

Welcome!
I have a fair collection of guns but today the P-64 was on my side as I'll probably wear it Saturday as well.
I would carry it more often but the only problem I have is with the safety dropping on and I tried all fixes. I carry it in low risk situations and admit it is a tack driver as far as accuracy with the little sights that it has, unbeleivable. Points good, feels good in my hand.

I would get the safety looked at but it will probably cost more for a gunsmith than I paid for the gun. I like that it's compact and would love to carry it more but for the safety.