Switching to the P64

Info, pictures, advice...
wrothgar

Switching to the P64

Post by wrothgar »

Hey there, new guy here redirected from The Firing Line.I just got my CHL about a month ago; I bought a Springfield XD 40 SC. I hate it; it is heavy and terribly bulky. I have been looking at the Sig P238; I don't care about the small caliber. I live in Texas and its hot here 3/4 of the year so I need something small and easy to conceal. The Sig is crazy expensive; I like the P64.

Questions to you who carry it regularly:

How heavy is it? Is it lighter than something like an XD?

How fat is it? I can't even lean over right now without my shirt getting caught on the fat handle of my XD.

What are the recoil/hammer spring replacements for?

Is JG sales a good place to buy them? I've got a C&R there I could use. Also, it seems that you have to buy them two at a time, is that true? Or should I just contact them.

Thanks for any info/help guys!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Switching to the P64

Post by normsutton »

wrothgar

welcome .
the P-64 is not a C&R gun, as for you other question's all of them have been covered hundred's times on this board please feel free to read others post

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
kurremkarm

Switching to the P64

Post by kurremkarm »

There is a specs list in the home page of this website. Roughly the gun is 6 inches long and 1 inch thick and weighs 24 ounces loaded.

So comparing it to other guns it does rather well for conceal, imo.
wrothgar

Switching to the P64

Post by wrothgar »

Yeah, I noticed it wasn't a C&R after I had already posted it; my mistake. If the CZ82 and the Tokarev are, I don't know why this one wouldn't be. No matter.

I'll go back and read some other posts. I did do some searches but couldn't really find anything. I probably just didn't search for the right thing :-).
oppy

Switching to the P64

Post by oppy »

Wrothgar,

Funny, I just read your posts on FL. I own a XD9SC and P64. I wont sell my XD, but I can tell you that carrying the XD made me look like I was packing a canned ham under my shirt.

For me, the P64 is a near ideal carry size. Pocket carry might be difficult due to its weight, but otherwise IWB works just fine. Any PPK or 232 holster will work. I bought my holster from US Gunleather sold here by Dickfunk.

Spec-wise, as said earlier you can find those elsewhere on this forum or here:
http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/foreign/hem2 ... i/P-64.htm (and many other places on web). There are also plenty of pics showing P64 parked next to other handguns to give you a visual comparison.

$20 and 10 minutes will get you a spring job that lightens up the DA and recoil slightly. My only other add on is a wrap around grip to soften the recoil. And finally, no ftf, fte etc ever.
Last edited by oppy on December 13th, 2009, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
coastal240

Switching to the P64

Post by coastal240 »

wrothgar,

The P64 is a great carry piece, you'll love carrying it compared to the XD. Personally, I carry the FEG PA-63 because of the lightweight titanium/aluminum frame, slim profile and 7+1 capacity. The 9x18 round is plenty potent for everyday carry.

For ease and comfort of carry I added the clipdraw and retired my IWB holster. LOVE the clipdraw, it completely changes your carry experience.

Tom
donnerwetter58

Switching to the P64

Post by donnerwetter58 »

The weight difference between the P-64 and PA-63 isn't really an issue.
The PA-63 loaded (7+1) weighs 23.6 oz.
The P-64 loaded (6+1) weighs 23.8 oz.
The only difference is an additional round with the -63.
Last edited by donnerwetter58 on December 13th, 2009, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Switching to the P64

Post by gunneyrabbit »

You may also want to take look at a Feg R-61, same titanium/aluminum alloy frame as the PA63, lighter than both the PA63 and P64. Six plus one rounds and you can carry a PA63 seven round mag for back up ammo., the PA63 mag is interchangeable. Both of the Feg's have better double action triggers than the P64 without changing the main spring ( hammer strut spring ).
All are excellent pistole's and all are easily concealed for carry.
G.R.