New P64 pre-range review with pics

Info, pictures, advice...
beltfedleadhead

Post by beltfedleadhead »

Last week I got a1975-era P64 from J&G Sales. It is in great shape aside from a square of adhesive material that was stuck to the side. It looks like they had a label or something on there for a while. It came off easily with some CLP. The gun was greased well on all bearing surfaces and devoid of cosmoline, so only a little oil was required on the mechanism.

I am impressed by how well machined and fitted the gun is. There is no play between the slide and frame, much unlike many other surplus pistols I have handled. (I owned a PA63 for a while and was not happy with the punishment it gave the bones in my hand. It was as though it was designed to inflict as much pain as possible. It also liked to perform automatic fire when it got too dirty.)

Like most other P64s, it has a horrendous trigger pull. I bought the 18lb spring kit along with an extra mag when I ordered it, but it didn't seem to help much at all. I will put a few boxes through the gun and see if that helps.

I like this gun quite a bit. It's very comfortable, compact and well-designed. I look forward to my first range session and will post the results when I can.

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

beltfedleadhead

if it came from J&G it is full or cosmoline, take the grips and slide off and clean the gun,before you ever shoot it, all that's been done to the gun is wipped down
nice pix
NORM
Last edited by normsutton on December 9th, 2009, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
beltfedleadhead

I took it all apart, grips and all. It was remarkably clean. There was some white grease on the rails, but it wasn't cosmoline.

I just realized that was a limerick. I rock.
fivepointstar

Post by fivepointstar »

SWEET!!! you take some great pics!! You have an eye for that. Great job!
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Great photos - you guys take good pics with those Powershots.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

8-)

I am the man from Nantucket........

Nice gun and welcome to the board!

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
beltfedleadhead

Well I shot the P64 last night. Holy hell did that thing HURT! It was not an enjoyable experience. I'm going to have to shoehorn that Wolff recoil spring in there somehow and see if that helps.

On the plus side, the gun was VERY accurate. I ate the middle out of the target at 30'. Ammo was Blazer ball. Only a half box, though.
oppy

Post by oppy »

beltfedleadhead wrote:Well I shot the P64 last night. Holy hell did that thing HURT! It was not an enjoyable experience....
Huh, first time I have heard that :).

Replacing the hammer and recoil springs is about a 5 minute job. It lightened the DA pull and recoil slightly. What also helps my sensitive girlie hand is a slide on grip.

Enjoy your new P64!
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
beltfedleadhead

Oppy wrote:
beltfedleadhead wrote:Well I shot the P64 last night. Holy hell did that thing HURT! It was not an enjoyable experience....
Huh, first time I have heard that :).

Replacing the hammer and recoil springs is about a 5 minute job. It lightened the DA pull and recoil slightly. What also helps my sensitive girlie hand is a slide on grip.

Enjoy your new P64!
I replaced the hammer spring but it didn't do much to the DA pull.

I'm going to have to fiddle to get the recoil spring in there. It's a tiny bit too long.

Any hints on which rubber grips?
norsk

Post by norsk »

I bought a 22 lb Wolff recoil spring from J&G Sales. Installing it was a bear and I had to use a lot of force to get the slide back on. Getting it back off was also a challenge.

I read on this (excellent) website about the stock recoil springs having flat ends, while the Wolff recoil spring ends are round. Following the recommendations on this site, I ground both ends flat. Problem solved. The recoil spring and slide goes on with ease.
eagle71

Post by eagle71 »

beltfedleadhead wrote: Any hints on which rubber grips?
beltfed, I put some Hogue Handall Jr. rubber grips on mine. I have a large hand, and recoil wasn't much of an issue, but these rubber grips really helped to fit the contour of my palm. My P-64 fits nearly perfectly in my hand now.

Great pictures BTW - and welcome to the forum!
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency