P64 VS PA-63

Info, pictures, advice...
pshootr

P64 VS PA-63

Post by pshootr »

You could judge the safety of carrying your P-64 on-safe or off-safe like this if you are curious:

1. Check that the magazine is removed and that the chamber is empty.
2. Repeat #1.
3. Cock the hammer.
4. Pull the trigger until the hammer drops and continue to hold the trigger all the way back.
5. Push the hammer as far forward as possible. Note the position of the hammer.
6. Now release the trigger and the hammer.
7. Repeat #5.
8. Apply the safety.
9. Repeat #5.

I will leave the conclusion to each user.

PshootR
amd6547

P64 VS PA-63

Post by amd6547 »

Everyone must make their own choices. I am one P64 owner who chose not to mess with the factory hammer spring, for example. My P64's double action has smoothed down to a still heavy but usable pull. What PshootR is refering to above is the walther style hammer block which prevents the hammer from touching the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
I carried a snubnose 38 for several years, and I feel just as safe carrying the P64 safety off chamber loaded as I did carrying the 38 with all five chambers loaded.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
truth

P64 VS PA-63

Post by truth »

The people who designed and manufactured this piece never changed the springs. They had many chances to do so through the years it was in production. Only in America, we will have things our way, just like burger king... Right???
herrmannek

P64 VS PA-63

Post by herrmannek »

Poles don't use double action because all uniform services(cops, soldiers, railroad cops, border guards) are trained and obliged to do israeli carry with means no round in th chamber and racking the slide before shooting... even now when cops are having glocks and walthers they have to carry them empty chambered :)
onapar

P64 VS PA-63

Post by onapar »

My P-64 is my favorite of over a dozen hand guns I own. I did the spring job and installed a clip draw. I carry it every day . I might add it is accurate as any gun I have ever owned. I carry one in the tube six in the mag safety off.
tunnelrat

P64 VS PA-63

Post by tunnelrat »

Everyone must make their own choices. I am one P64 owner who chose not to mess with the factory hammer spring
Indeed, that is your call. Let's hear it for the American capitalist system! You buy the gun of your choice with your own money. It belongs to you; it is under your control. If you choose to modify it, you can. If you choose to leave it stock, you can do that, too.

I found that the double action trigger pull on both my P-64's was totally unreasonable. I'd guess the trigger pull was about 25 lbs! It was like pulling a concrete block with a string.

When I changed the hammer spring to 16#, it was as though I'd gotten a brand new firearm! It was the same with my second P-64.

If someone wants to keep the original springs in their gun -- more power to them. As for me, I choose to modify the springs and get the lighter trigger pull.

Damn straight, Burger King...! I paid for it and I'll have it my way.
amd6547

P64 VS PA-63

Post by amd6547 »

Exactly--you pays yer $150, and ya's do want ya's wants.
My belief is that the hammer spring weight is part of the recoil mass designed into this blowback pistol, and I don't want to alter that. I did do some light polishing on the outward side of the trigger bar where it rubs against the inside of the slide, and the corresponding area of the slide. That, proper lubrication of all trigger mechanism contact points, and use have made my double action pull quite light enough for my needs.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
rjsixgun

P64 VS PA-63

Post by rjsixgun »

I truely hate you guys!!!

I tried to explane to my girl that you guys forced me to buy a P-64. but she just wouldnt belive me, the only way I could get back into my own bed was to let her shoot it, Now I have to buy another one cuz she wants that one for herself!!!!!

Thanks to all for the GREAT INFO!!!

I bought a P-64, it came with 2 clips and a hard case.
I already ordered the wolf #16 ppk hammer spring and placed an order for Zee grips.

Now I just keep checking my mail box every 5 minutes!!!!
kempin

P64 VS PA-63

Post by kempin »

Yeah, I had the same problem. Once my wife shot it, she claimed it.

On the plus side, I now own two!

-Kempin
scriptoe

P64 VS PA-63

Post by scriptoe »

If you do get the grips with the thumbrest let me know. I'll buy them from you. That way next time I get a P-64 without the thumbrest I can throw away the flat grips and put on the good thumbrest grips.

If the P-64 stings your hand then you should probably just hit the attacker with your purse instead. Or maybe cry for your mommie to come and hit him with her purse.

The strong DA trigger is not a defect, it's a safety feature. It's to prevent the shooter from shooting his leg off while drawing a fully loaded weapon from the holster.

If somebody told me I had to change the original spring then I'd just throw the gun away.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

P64 VS PA-63

Post by abwehr »

You guys are 100% correct about safety, make it first in firearms handling!

While I was out West, a couple of weeks ago, a teenager shot and killed his brother with a .380 pistol. They did arrest him for 2nd degree manslaughter, but I don't know what is happening now since I am home again.

Also, teach your kids about safety and gu handling even if you only have one firearm in the house!
rjsixgun

P64 VS PA-63

Post by rjsixgun »

still waiting on the zee grips :-[ I wish they would come already