What Made You Buy?

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

What Made You Buy?

Post by abwehr »

What made you guys buy a P-64 Pistol, how long have you had one, etc?

The first I heard about this pistol was about 1+ year ago and I think it was in an AIM circular that came in the mail. I did not think too much about it as it was called a "Polish Makarov". I thought it would be nice to have, but not really required for my collection, but he P-64 I have was in my local "candy store" one day when I bought a Sig P226. I saw it in the counter and thought it was pretty nice looking, but did not look at it since I was excited about the SIG. I kept thinking about the P-64 and a couple of weeks later I thought I would drop by the gun shop to see if was still there. Knowing my luck, I did not expect it to still be there. When I got to the shop, I went straight to the spot where it was. LUCKILY, there is was, still in the case! I ask the salesman to let me look at it, and once I had it in my hand, I was SOLD! It fir soooooo good in my hand, and it was in MINT condition. It was the pistol and a spare magazine; that was it! no box or anything, but I was a happy camper when I walked out. I still don't know what it is about this pistol, but I really like it!

Now, with this Forum, I have others that think like me; scary HUH!!!!, LMAORIF
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Made You Buy?

Post by dfunk »

I have always been attracted to the Walther PPK style handguns. I looked at a Walther, SIG 232, Bersa Thunder .380, etc. I came across this pistol about a year ago, as well, and have been thinking about it since - actually, I didn't buy one until last month! For $139 I got a brand new pistol, 3 magazines, and a manual - hell of a deal. This little guy is heavy (which I really like), looks good, machined well, a surplus gun (can't get enough milsurps in my opinion), slim and streamlined profile with no levers and crap on the sides, and chambered for a respectable cartidge. I bought it for CCW purposes and because I love shooting milsurps. I haven't looked back - it's my favorite. Besides all of the above mentioned reasons, there's just something about it when you hold it in your hand...I can't really explain it; but I'm sure you all feel it, too.
raypol

What Made You Buy?

Post by raypol »

I picked one up at a gunshow about a year ago and thought "what a terrible trigger pull" and put it down. However, I couldn't get the size, weight, feel, finish and looks of the terrible little pistol out of my head. It kept buggin' me until I put a want ad on a gunboard and bought one from a guy in Ohio. The FFL who handled the transfer for me wasn't impressed either. I like 'em that way. Weird stuff that no one else understands.

jpb
Last edited by raypol on November 26th, 2005, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

What Made You Buy?

Post by abwehr »

I shoot as often as I can, but I am more of a collector than anything. This pistol really did intrest me from a historical point more than a shooter when I got it, but I do love to shoot it. I am going out of town Monday for several days, and there is a shooting range about 1 mile from the Plant. I plan to take it with me to shoot a little after work to "unwind".

Now I need to find me another one with the later modifications!
k75rt

What Made You Buy?

Post by k75rt »

I collect pistols in the 9X18 calibre, I have several Makarovs as well as the P-83...the P-64 is a nice carry piece
fjblackesq

What Made You Buy?

Post by fjblackesq »

A few yrs ago, I visited Radom, Poland and visited the factory... I wanted an example of the workmanship and got three P64s from an ad in "Shotgun" gave one to each of my two sons and kept one. Since then I have gotten into the MAKs, got an eg, bUL, cChina aLSO Hung.... the 9X18 bug bit me but good. I love them alo but am partial to the p64. FJB
novgarod

What Made You Buy?

Post by novgarod »

I have been ho-hum for the last year about adding the P-64 to my 9 x18 collection and then this new forum arrives! It was enough to peak my interest, get me on board, and finally make a purchase. I must say, between the P-83 and P-64, these Polish pistols are probably the most controversial 9x18s in the pack - ain't it fun!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

What Made You Buy?

Post by abwehr »

novgarod,

I know what you mean! When I first saw them advertised, I said this is not another pistol I need, but when I saw it in the case, the little "devil" on my shoulder said "you gotta buy this one, see how nice it looks and how well if fits your hand"! Well, 2 weeks later, I was back in the shop and never regretted the purchase. Since I extoll the P-64, I will admit there is one thing I dislike about the pistol; why in the heck didn't the Poles make some DECENT molds for the the grips! The checkering looks like an angry beaver made the cuts, LOL, LO!

From a purely collectrors side, I am not sure what the value will be in the future, but I don't see them going down in price. My bet is they will slowly increase in value as the number available on the open market begin to drop. All those that have bought the Polish holster rig may see the completer outfit increase in value a little faster. I looked at the E, German Mak and it has over doubled in value in the past 4-5 years; even the Bulgarian has now begun to climb in value. The little P-64 may take a little longer, but in about 8-10 years, these will surprise you! The collecting of Cold War weapons has just begun, and being in its infancy, prices are very reasonable! The coming generation was born after the Cold War, these future weapons afficiados will be looking for collectibles like the P-64. As "novgarod" said, "ain't it fun"!!!!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

What Made You Buy?

Post by abwehr »

fjblackesq,

Wow, I bet that was neat visiting the Radom Plant! If you get a chance, give us a little write-up on the visit. Do they have a museum? I really like the WWII Radom pistol, it was a nice design and well liked by the Germans too.
jwvette42

What Made You Buy?

Post by jwvette42 »

I got mine at a gun show due to Price, weight, feel, and overall looks. The price made it a impulse buy though!
daysleeper

What Made You Buy?

Post by daysleeper »

I'm in my mid-40's and never had use for a gun, didn't particularly like them and didn't like the whole "from my cold, dead hand" attitude.

About four months ago I started taking shifts at a club for a friend of mine. I saw some desperate MF's hanging around outside the place, probably addicts, but I still decided to go with my original SD plan: Eat five bullets then feed the last one back to him. Then one night the police called to ask if I had seen anything unusual at the bar last nite. "No." At the bar, they showed me the security video of the parking lot where at least three sleazebags were on the lookout, pacing, leaning on my car, pissing in the alley, waiting for some poor shmuck to come home down the block so they could kill him and take his stuff. The whole time I was on the split screen, closing out, and oblivious to the goings on. Fortunately, they weren't after my ass because they hid when I walked out, and regrouped when I left. Not so fortunate for the guy they set on fire.

At that point I just wanted more light for the bar and the cars, something to keep away the cockroaches. Then Katrina hit.

I live in a suburb just west of where New Orleans got hit worst. For several days we watched the lawlessness and desperation on the news. My wife and I had evac'd to TX but we still wanted to get back ASAP. I had a business license that would allow me re-entry before everyone else, so we planned to head back about a week before anyone else. Once that decision was made, I had three days to run to Lake Charles, back to Texas, and start learning how to shoot my P-64 before it was time to return to the disaster area.

Everything turned out fine, but I'm glad I had the weapon when I returned to a ghost town. I walked through the wreck of my house yelling "come out or get shot!" in case any looters or poachers were there (none, but I almost shot my shadow). We didn't see the police or any Nat'l Guard for 4 days, so having the piece gave me some sense of security.

Why the P-64? I called ahead and they told me they had some Maks, which people in the know had told me was a good weapon. It turned out to be this little beauty.
rogue

What Made You Buy?

Post by rogue »

I bought mine because it's all steel and feels good in the hand. I don't much care for plastic guns. It's also very fun to shoot. The recoil is mild compared to other firearms I own. It's also very dependable.
So I went out today and purchased another one. I don't ever see them going down in price, and if we're lucky they will probably go up.
Rogue
ozarker

What Made You Buy?

Post by ozarker »

Daysleeper -- Welcome to the forum. Believe me we understand from where you come. The bad press is not caused by anyone here.. It's the law breaker that could care less if the firearm is hot.. You have something they want..They will take it.. And take it with a firearm. Then anyone with a gun becomes the enemy the bad guy..I hope and pray I never have to use any of my guns in self defense.. But I will not be someone's victim.. Again Welcome..
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

What Made You Buy?

Post by abwehr »

rogue,

Even though I own several plastic pistols, I am like you, I like the feel of real steel in my hands! One if my favorite pistols is the CZ74B; it is all steel and accurate. But as I have stated before, when I picked up the P-64, I knew I had to have it. Is it a perfect pistol, no, but it sure is nice for its size.

I look back at the Walther PPK and its intended use as a concealment weapon. The PPK worked in Europe for many years with the .32 ACP. The Walther PP was a standard Police pistol in Europe for many years, was used by the German Military, and still in Police use in Germany in the post war period. Do we have better pistols for the Militar & Police now, yes, but they are certainly larger and not that concealable. The P-64 has its place along with all other pistols and I strongly feel that can perform as intended!
koam

What Made You Buy?

Post by koam »

I liked the look, and the price is a lot cheaper than what I usually buy.