J&G is Killing Me

Info, pictures, advice...
jbabbler

J&G is Killing Me

Post by jbabbler »

I wonder if parts would be more readily available for the P83. I love my P64 but the thought of something breaking in it gives me pause sometimes.
Last edited by jbabbler on November 18th, 2009, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John has a long mustache
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

J&G is Killing Me

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Jbabbler, parts should be plentiful, the pistol is still in production to the best of my knowledge. The CZ 83, which is the American .380 model, is advertised at the CZ web sight and I believe there is information stating the pistol can be ordered in a 9x18 format.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 18th, 2009, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

J&G is Killing Me

Post by beasleydano »

gunneyrabbit wrote:Jbabbler, parts should be plentiful, the pistol is still in production to the best of my knowledge. The CZ 83, which is the American .380 model, is advertised at the CZ web sight and I believe there is information stating the pistol can be ordered in a 9x18 format.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit

I do not believe that the Polish P83 is still in production. Parts could be a problem. The Czech CZ83 was made in 9x18 in limited quantities in blue and electroless nickel.
hardcorekeith

J&G is Killing Me

Post by hardcorekeith »

For what it's worth, I e-mailed CZ recently about obtaining parts for my "83" (actually 82) and they never responded. Holster availability for those guns is also terrible if you're looking for kydex. (I still dig my '82 anyway...)
jbabbler

J&G is Killing Me

Post by jbabbler »

Hold on guys, you are spinning off track. The Radom P83 is not anything like the CZ 82/83. These are completely different guns.

The CZ82/83 guns are current production guns and parts are plentiful. The P83 is a retired Polish Police/military pistol.

Polish P83

CZ 82/83
John has a long mustache
big54r

J&G is Killing Me

Post by big54r »

OMG!

I get on here to look up the new dickfunk owb holster for the p-64 and find this!

I do like the p-83

Gotta get a cz-82 1st though!
jbabbler

J&G is Killing Me

Post by jbabbler »

To be honest, the P83 doesn't impress me much from what I'm reading. The slide and frame are both cheap stamped steel and the trigger might as well be a coat hanger. I wouldn't want to conceal that thing and even try to draw it. The enduring quality of the P64 is it's small size. It's a great CCW gun and the parts are machined, not stamped.... Just my opinion though... YMMV
John has a long mustache
stover

J&G is Killing Me

Post by stover »

Now that I have seen a picture of one next to a makarov I tend to agree. I prefer the up for safe, down for fire operation of the safety and being stamped it should be lighter. If it was pocket size that is a good combination for me. Every gun I own has a down for fire safety, except the P64 and I like to keep it simple. Unless it is significantly lighter than a Makarov I'm not going to rush to buy a P83. The only remaining buy factor is that I don't have one.
eagle71

J&G is Killing Me

Post by eagle71 »

jbabbler wrote:To be honest, the P83 doesn't impress me much from what I'm reading. The slide and frame are both cheap stamped steel and the trigger might as well be a coat hanger. I wouldn't want to conceal that thing and even try to draw it. The enduring quality of the P64 is it's small size. It's a great CCW gun and the parts are machined, not stamped.... Just my opinion though... YMMV
Agree with you jbabbler.

My two cents - For $250 (P83 price on GB), you can get a decent CZ 82 plus a few extra mags. Better yet, get another P-64 for the spare parts, and save 100 bucks...
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
nvbeav

J&G is Killing Me

Post by nvbeav »

There are a couple things that seem intriguing about the P-83, besides being another Polish pistol to collect.

First, it has a single-stack magazine and is thinner than the CZ-82. That was one reason I tried the P-64 -- the CZ-82 was just a little too big for my CC weapon.

Secondly, one of the positive items about the P-64 also turns out to be a negative: It's built like a tank and is heavy like one too. The P-83 appears to be a "less dense" or lighter -- I don't know for sure, but I'd really like to hold one to see how it feels. I know the CZ-82 is quite heavy too.

The apparent high quality of the Polish pistols is another reason that the P-83 keeps me wanting one. Besides being another 9x18 Mak to acquire, it seems like it might be worth the investment to me -- too bad I'll have to wait until next year :^(

That's just my $0.02 and it mostly my opinion!
rottenrick

J&G is Killing Me

Post by rottenrick »

I've never seen or handled one, but the write up says it has 'Sheet metal stamped parts'. Honestly that makes me pause a little bit. Like some of the guys said. I'd maybe get an other P-64 or spend the bucks to find a Russian or East German Mak. The grip is a bit uncomfortable for me on the CZ-82.
Last edited by rottenrick on November 21st, 2009, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishbob979

J&G is Killing Me

Post by irishbob979 »

Picked up my P83 from my FFL today. As far as appearance - it has no visible wear on the finish - a few nicks on the left hand grip but you really have to look.

This weapon appears to be well made. As far as the earlier comments regarding the stamped metal parts all I can say is that the AK 47 has stamped parts and an excellent reputation.

I paid for the hand pick and extra mag - this gun was manufactured in 1983 and is almost pristine. I will take it to the range and air it out.
Last edited by irishbob979 on November 21st, 2009, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stover

J&G is Killing Me

Post by stover »

And you don't have pictures why? ;)
rottenrick

J&G is Killing Me

Post by rottenrick »

Irish, Good for you!! Let us know. I'd like to see one for myself before I buy one though. I had seen and held P-64 before I purchased one, it's just the way I am. I don't like buying things sight unseen, never comfortable with it.
As for the 'Sheet metal' stampings, you're right about the AK-47 the reputation is good. But a hand gun is a little different than a 'Spray and Pray'. I have an AMD-65 that is all sheet metal, it's accurate and I'm very pleased with it. Please give us a range report.
jbabbler

J&G is Killing Me

Post by jbabbler »

I'd love to see some pics of your new gun.. By the way, pay no attention to my "stamped steel" blather. I have to find a way to talk myself out of buying ANOTHER gun. :)
John has a long mustache