Hello Everyone - Looking to pick up a P64

Info, pictures, advice...
darylj

Post by darylj »

Quick intro - I'm looking for something to carry in place of my Taurus 5-shot on my ankle, and a swat buddy suggested the P64. I'm carrying his now, and it seems like it is a great size/shape for concealed carry for me.

I'm heading to the range tonight to run it through its paces. I hope it fires as well as it looks/carries because that means my search is over.

I appreciate all the info I've gotten so far from reading old posts. Finding a forum like this makes me feel a lot better about buying one.
darylj

Post by darylj »

So I put 50 through one at the range last night. Placing the order today. Now I'm off to research concealed holsters.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Welcome darylj. This is a pretty good group here. Lot's of knowledge about our Polish beauty.
Several places sell the P-64. Ammo is not that hard to come by. Although several self defense rounds can be hard to come by. As for carry rigs, there are several options I have one of Dickfunks rigs that I'm pleased with, but there are several options out there. The P-64 is becoming increasingly popular. I'm looking at getting my second one before they dry up.
elgoatropo

Post by elgoatropo »

Bear in mind that it was engineered for steel case ammo. Mine acted up with Cor-Bon.

What ammo does the swat guy carry?
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Welcome aboard Daryl!
A great group of members here, lots of information that you can depend on.
G.R.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

I found that a Don Hume IWB holster for a PPK worked great. It was a little snug so I wet the holster with hot water then put my P64 (in a ziplock) into it and reshaped it around my gun. Now it fits it like it was made for it. Same for the PPK Fobus, I just boiled the fobus for 1min and pushed the gun in. Now it fits perfectly.
John has a long mustache
darylj

Post by darylj »

elgoatropo wrote:Bear in mind that it was engineered for steel case ammo. Mine acted up with Cor-Bon.

What ammo does the swat guy carry?
I'll keep that in mind. Not sure what his carry load is when he does carry it, but we were shooting Wolf junk (steel case - I thin it was the "performance" line).

But a question about that: Will using brass be a problem? Sounds like you had one - is that typical in P64s?

My understanding was that steel was used due to cost, and was generally harder on a weapon than brass. Should I be sticking to steel for this one?
darylj

Post by darylj »

jbabbler wrote:I found that a Don Hume IWB holster for a PPK worked great.
Good info. I'm going to see what's locally available, and if I don't see what I like I'll try to order something.
elgoatropo

Post by elgoatropo »

darylj wrote:
But a question about that: Will using brass be a problem? Sounds like you had one - is that typical in P64s?
See my thread in this forum RE: Battery. Brass will work, but I am beginning to think the P-64 (and PPK) has some unique considerations concerning feeding brass, due to the breechface design. Mine feeds brass much more smoothly now that I broke that sharp edge. YMMV, and I am not a trained gunsmith.

I would like to examine a PPK to see if it has a similar design.
Last edited by elgoatropo on November 6th, 2009, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

I have shot the Hornady XTP, Barnaul, Silverbear, Brownbear and CorBon through mine with no feeding problems. Maybe a short break-in period is required to wear in the feed ramp, barrel ramp and breech face.
John has a long mustache
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I've used Hornady, Silverbear JHP'S, FMJ'S, some Winchester's. The best is the 1000 rds. ordered from Georgia Arms brass, with Speer Gold dots. Per advice, never used Wolf ammo. I've also polished the ramp, changed recoil and hammer spring to an 18 pounder. It's got a sweet DA and about a 2.5 to 3.0 lb. SA. Some people don't change anything, to each his own. What I really like about this place, is no one's judgemental, except when it comes to using Wolf ammo.
elgoatropo

Post by elgoatropo »

jbabbler wrote:I have shot the Hornady XTP, Barnaul, Silverbear, Brownbear and CorBon through mine with no feeding problems. Maybe a short break-in period is required to wear in the feed ramp, barrel ramp and breech face.
If you chamber a round, and slowly ease the slide into battery, does yours hang up? If so, how much pushing does it take to make it snap in? Mine will now just barely hang up, and snap in with a light finger nudge. Big improvement. Previously, mine had been fired about 200 rounds since new.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

elgoatropo wrote:
jbabbler wrote:I have shot the Hornady XTP, Barnaul, Silverbear, Brownbear and CorBon through mine with no feeding problems. Maybe a short break-in period is required to wear in the feed ramp, barrel ramp and breech face.
If you chamber a round, and slowly ease the slide into battery, does yours hang up? If so, how much pushing does it take to make it snap in? Mine will now just barely hang up, and snap in with a light finger nudge. Big improvement. Previously, mine had been fired about 200 rounds since new.
Mine will close on any of ammo 100% on it's own no matter how slowly I release it. I polished the feed ramp with a dremel and some polishing paste when new and I also have a stronger Wolff recoil spring that probably helps matters.
John has a long mustache
elgoatropo

Post by elgoatropo »

Cool beans. What prompted you to get the Wolfff springs? Just preventive maintenance?
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

elgoatropo wrote:Cool beans. What prompted you to get the Wolfff springs? Just preventive maintenance?
I got the Wolff trigger/hammer spring to lighten the trigger pull. I figured I might as well get the heavier recoil spring while I was ordering since it was only a few $ more. I like the final outcome. The pistol doesn't kick like I have heard others describe and it has been 100% reliable. I probably won't shoot it a great deal at the range due to the whole spare parts issue but I will shoot it enough to remain proficient with it.
John has a long mustache