Thumbrest Grip

Info, pictures, advice...
b52stan

Thumbrest Grip

Post by b52stan »

Just won my 4th Czak on Auction Arms for $126 shipped. Best deal yet, but it's a '73 with the infamous thumbrest grip. Haven't had one yet.

Plan to replace with Zee grips when available, but is anybody still shooting theirs with the thumbrest? Wondered how much the recoil and bite complaints have had to do with the crappy replacement thumbrest grip.

Fire away, guys.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Thumbrest Grip

Post by papabear »

Hi Stan,

Supper deal on the new addition [$126], you must have caught everyone sleeping on that one.

Of the four P-64's I have bought three of them had the thumbrest grips, one had the flat grips which I assumed were the original grips, I eventually replaced them all with Zee's grips. I gave one of my P-64's to my future son-in-law for his CCW. I gave him a choice of the grips, and he opted for the thumbrest grip, said he liked the looks of the thumbrest. I really like him, but after this I was starting to wonder about him, but he does have large hands so I figured that must be the reason. A few weeks later we went to the range and for the first time he shot his P-64 [100+rds], afterwords, he asked to shoot one of my mine with the Zee grips. After only one mag, he asked if he could swap the thumbrest grips for a set of the Zee grips, of course I let him, but I did have to rub it in a bit, told him maybe he should start paying more attention to what I said, hee hee. He finally admitted that the recoil was less with the Zee grips, and he liked the feel better too. He liked my clipdraw on one of my P-64's and ordered one for himself, he has his CCW and travels a lot on his job, he prefers the the cross-draw while sitting as I do when I take trips, but for normal day to day wear, I wear it on my right side [I'm right handed].

I still believe, "to each his own", I don't want to start any flames here, I am sure there are those that prefer the thumbrest, I know my brother-in-law does, and he has large hands too, BTW, I have avg. size hands, have never had a bit or any recoil problems from either of the grips, however, I much prefer the Zee grips, I have much better control and the prefer the feel over the tumbrest. I haven't changed the springs in any of them and don't have a problem with the DA pull, I prefer the so called heavy pull on the DA, I feel it is a safety factor, just my 2 cents worth.

Papabear

POINT SHOOTER
b52stan

Thumbrest Grip

Post by b52stan »

Thanks Papabear,

Pretty much what I thought I'd hear. Haven't had any recoil, pinch, etc, problems with the original flat or Zee grips. Pretty much assumed that the ill-fitted thumbrest was the cause of most complaints.

Like you, one of mine was hauled off by my NSA son, and the other kids are drooling, so I continue to look for good buys.

Thought this thread might help some of the newcomers who don't know how good these can be with the original, or Zee grips, and most probably don't know that the thumbrest was hastily added to comply with import requirements.

Stan
Last edited by b52stan on August 21st, 2006, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Thumbrest Grip

Post by papabear »

Hey Stan, looks like I'll be back in your area in FL for the FWB gun show Oct, 28-29, will you be back by then?

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
b52stan

Thumbrest Grip

Post by b52stan »

Papabear,
Ill be there with bells on! We plan to leave PA about 1 October. Should be a little cooler down there, by then. Will PM you an address and phone number.
I'm about 15 minutes from the fairground, and would love to meet up with you before, during or after the show.
What brings you to the FWB area?
Stan
dickba

Thumbrest Grip

Post by dickba »

I apologize for being a "NEWBIE" (However) I've recently purchased a "Makarov 9MM P-64) 9 x18 - It has 1973 and the # 11 with a circle around it on R. side. Just in front of the trigger guard it has "RADON POLAND" I was taken totally off guard the 1st time I shot it by the recoil. AND "BBIITTEE" (Large hands) I have been looking for different grips but seem to be very limited. It has the "checkered" (I assume original) grips on it. Others have mentioned "Zee Grips" - Rubber slide ons. I can't find anything "specific" in this area for this specific weapon. BTW a friend of mine picked up some 115 grain shells for it. IS THIS TOO HOT TO SHOOT IN THIS GUN?? The previous were 90 grains if I remember correctly?
THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE THAT RESPONDS TO MY NOVICE QUESTIONS.
DickBa
dickba

Thumbrest Grip

Post by dickba »

In my previous post I mentioned 115 grains - They are actually 120 grain Wolfe that he picked up here in Las Vegas at one of the gun shows at the Convention Center. (Cashman)
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Thumbrest Grip

Post by himmel »

Zee grips aren't rubber slide-ons, they are inproved versions of the original flat grips, made and sold by a member here, zeeborg. My son also makes wooden grips for the P64, several members here have bought some, and a lot have bought zee's grips. Check out the "buy and sell" sub-forum for those and other things. And check the threads here, there is a lot of good info about various kinds of ammo--I stick with the 95-grain stuff myself, but that's mainly because that's what I can buy hereabouts! LOL!
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Thumbrest Grip

Post by bzinggg »

In my previous post I mentioned 115 grains - They are actually 120 grain Wolfe that he picked up here in Las Vegas at one of the gun shows at the Convention Center. (Cashman)
Are you sure they are 9x18?
b52stan

Thumbrest Grip

Post by b52stan »

dickba, recommend you read as much of the board history as you can. It has everything you need to know about making your P-64 a first rate carry piece, with very little expense.

Stan
Last edited by b52stan on August 22nd, 2006, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunnelrat

Thumbrest Grip

Post by tunnelrat »

After only one mag, he asked if he could swap the thumbrest grips for a set of the Zee grips, of course I let him, but I did have to rub it in a bit, told him maybe he should start paying more attention to what I said, hee hee.
Yup, that's just part of a father-in-law's responsibility... ;D
tunnelrat

Thumbrest Grip

Post by tunnelrat »

They are actually 120 grain Wolfe
Yup, 9x18 ammo is available in bullet weights up to 120 grains. I have shot a lot of 115 grain Silver Bear through my P-64, but I haven't ever tried (nor have I wanted to try...) the 120 grain jobbies.

The cumulative wisdom on this board suggests that a bullet weight of about 95 grains is the most effective to use in a P-64. It cuts down on the felt recoil and doesn't beat up the gun as much.
dickba

Thumbrest Grip

Post by dickba »

My apologies to those that posted relies to my query about shooting the "Wolfe 120's" - I seemed to have gotten lost in other parts of this very "KNOWLEGIBLE" board and did not read all of the replies promptly (SORRY!)
Yes the "Wolfe 120's" are 9 x18.
I really don't shoot that much - Maybe more after I get the grips I ordered. This gun gave me the worst headache I've ever had after I qual'd the other day. They were 90's that the range had me shooting.
Thanks Again!
Dick