No P64!

Info, pictures, advice...
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

No P64!

Post by martilyo »

Sadly, I sold my P64 last week. It really was painful for me to shoot, and if I can't shoot it then it's just a paper weight. As I've mentioned in previous posts, the P64 tended to "bite" me between the thumb and forefinger and bruised down to the bone. Never had this issue with my other Maks,just the P64.
Thanks to everyone who has given advise and insight, this is a great board to join. I'll still be around, just P64-less.
Sgt P

No P64!

Post by Sgt P »

Martilyo,
Man sorry to hear this. Perhaps someday one of the BIG 3 grip makers; Hogue, Pachmayr and Pearce will make a soft rubber full wrap around grip for the P-64. Sgt P.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

No P64!

Post by martilyo »

That may help me. I tried the stock grips, Marschal grips and Zee grips, nothing helped. I could shoot the P64 with a shooter's glove, but then how would I use it for concealed carry?
jimhadar

No P64!

Post by jimhadar »

I know how you feel. I shot my P-64 this weekend and was impressed with the accuracy. It always cuts my thumb at the base each time I use it. When doing a double action shot it pinched my trigger finger just before the trigger break so now I have a large blood blister on my finger.

The bluing was worn and in areas it was mottled. Although it shot great the trigger pin would periodically work its way out. I decided to sell the P-64 and the jam-o-matic NAA Guardian .380 this weekend. I took the money and bought me a Kahr PM9.

I might still get another P-64 as I did like many things about it but this time I want an excellent finish and I pray I do not have any mechanical issues. If I do and it works I will only use it for protection purposes to maintain the pin and my hands.
hangfire

No P64!

Post by hangfire »

I'm with you guys. Whenever I shoot more than a few rounds I wind up with a blister on my middle finger where it sits just under the trigger guard. I like my P-64s. They're well made and quite accurate for short barrel pistols. But I view them more as curios than frequent shooters.

May be the reason so many of the P-64s we buy are in un-fired or hardly-fired condition? Those Poles are a lot smarter than we think.
torpeau

No P64!

Post by torpeau »

hangfire wrote:I'm with you guys. Whenever I shoot more than a few rounds I wind up with a blister on my middle finger where it sits just under the trigger guard. I like my P-64s. They're well made and quite accurate for short barrel pistols. But I view them more as curios than frequent shooters.
I used to get a cut on my trigger finger from the trigger guard after firing a few rounds, but after trying slightly different ways of gripping, I no longer have that problem. Still, after 100 rounds in a half hour, I'm through for the day. That's to be expected for a small pistol with a fairly powerful cartridge -- and that size and cartridge are reasons I own P-64s.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
paulski

No P64!

Post by paulski »

Really sorry to hear that!

I put 200 rounds through mine to establish confidence in it's reliability, but it will only get 100 on the range from now on, for these very reasons.

I personally had previous experience with the pistol before I got this new one, so I knew what to expect.
I feel that if in a situation where I actually had to use it for what it was made for, the adrenaline would overcome any discomfort.
In short, this is a service pistol, not a range toy.

You may be interested in a Kel-Tec P-11 if you need something similar in size. It is used by a LOT of Police & military as a backup firearm, so there is more than likely a rubber cushion grip available for it.
Plus it is polymer framed, so it absorbs recoil better.

I just love the P-64 because it is one sexy looking POLISH (like me :D) pistol.

Check it out:
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p11.htm

This is next on my list to buy.
It carries 10+1 & has a 12 round mag available.
It is the same size as the P-64.
Good luck. ;)

EDIT: You can find these used for under $200.00 usually.
Last edited by paulski on September 29th, 2009, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbabbler

No P64!

Post by jbabbler »

I loved my P11. I carried it for 13 years and fed 10,000+ rounds down the pipe. She was getting a little loose when I sold it for $300 during the Obama-gun-crunch. Couldn't pass it up.
John has a long mustache
paulski

No P64!

Post by paulski »

My Girl Helped me come up with a cheap & effective solution for all the comfort problems for the P-64!!!! It softens both the recoil & the sharp trigger when properly installed!

We call it the P-64 Maxi-Grip! :D

I am selling them for $19.95 + S&H

P.M. If interested!! :P
ogdengunner

No P64!

Post by ogdengunner »

Like everyone else, I have had issues with the bite of the P64. Luckily I have fairly small hands, so I solved 95% of the problem by adjusting my hold a little lower on the hand grips. I usually fire 100 rounds maximum when I go to the range. Since many of the posters here use the P64 as a carry piece ( I do not have a CCW permit), the recoil is probably not that big a factor. It is not likely that they would put 100 rounds through in a need to use situation. For the rest of us, I would agree about 100 to maybe 150 rounds would be about the max at a time.
darrell

No P64!

Post by darrell »

I find that 50 rounds is more than enough, most times. The heavier recoil spring and Hogue Handall Jr. grip don't have as much of an effect as they do with the PA-63. I also believe the P-64 is more of a concealed carry gun than a plinker. I am fortunate in having relative small hands. I believe rubber grips would help a lot but doubt anyone will make them due to the relatively small number of P-64s. Enjoy it for what it is a good economical pocket pistol and a piece of history.
rottenrick

No P64!

Post by rottenrick »

paulski, Does a bottle of 'Midol' come with it??
paulski

No P64!

Post by paulski »

rottenrick wrote:paulski, Does a bottle of 'Midol' come with it??
Thank you... ;)
I was starting to think; "What the heck" ???

I posted a Pic of a P-64 wrapped in a Maxi-Pad & Nothing... ???
What kind of guys are these?

At least the fact that someone noticed makes up for the unexpected task of removing maxi-pad glue from my grips. ::)

Yeah... Oops. I didn't think of that :D

I usually hang out on a really rough edged forum dedicated to my Semi auto Shotgun Saiga-12.
We are a lot of smart^$$es over there..

Makes life more fun ;D
http://forum.saiga-12.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXb_XEfdn7A
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

No P64!

Post by anjdrifter »

Like yo Pauly like the picture but a black lincoln with a sound bite from a Sinatra song attached would have been even better picture :D :D 8-)
torpeau

No P64!

Post by torpeau »

paulski wrote:
I posted a Pic of a P-64 wrapped in a Maxi-Pad & Nothing... ???
What kind of guys are these?
Sorry. This guy has never used a Maxi-Pad.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark