No P64!

Info, pictures, advice...
Sgt P

No P64!

Post by Sgt P »

Paulski,
You must live in the tough part of Portland. ::) My sister lives over in Beaverton and they carry .45acp compacts. ;) But hey you gotta carry what you enjoy, right :) Sgt P.
paulski

No P64!

Post by paulski »

Sgt P. wrote:Paulski,
You must live in the tough part of Portland. ::) My sister lives over in Beaverton and they carry .45acp compacts. ;) But hey you gotta carry what you enjoy, right :) Sgt P.
I live in North Portland, 97217...
Not the roughest part... But the roughest part starts in the next neighborhood to the east. About 50% of the gang shootings in Oregon occur not to far from me. Most of the rest are toward Gresham down Burnside.

Less than 2 months ago, I drove into a gas station seconds after a drive-buy.

With the poor economy, crime has risen considerably.

Your sister has to worry about latino gangs.

We have good ol' "thug gangstas".
I have a bunch that hang out down the street (In the middle of the street ???) Jumping around yelling N*** this & N*** that.
Our households have an unspoken understanding.
Harley, our German Shepherd is the only one who vocally reinforces it on a regular basis.

I carry a G-17 with 18rds of Extreme Shock AFR. & the Glock clip.

I want to carry my P-64, but 1 time recently at the range, the trigger failed to engage the first pull.
I think I need to completely disassemble it & steel wool everything. I recently re-blued it & the innards got some rust on them.

The Glock, as we all know, is an AK-47 of pistols. It NEVER fails, unless you limp-wrist it.

The cool part is that "gangstas" rarely have any range time, thus no skill & tweekers have usually sold their guns for meth.

Still I would rather live in "rougher" areas than superficial "high-class" areas with :o Neighborhood Associations :o & 16 year olds driving $60,000 cars.

I lived in Multnomah village once & couldn't stand it.

The Saiga-12 is just my SHTF AK chambered in 12 gauge streetsweeper. ;D

I would highly recommend buying the S-12 for when ammo is tight, as you can always find 12 gauge to shoot.
Also buy it before they get banned by the current administration.

It is like the P-64 in the aspect that you can modify it to make it better.
Infact to get the pistol grip, you must convert it. or pay $300.00+ over the $570.00 price, for one that has been converted/restored by someone else due to import banns on non-sporting configuration long guns.

It is kinda like legos for guns ;D

That forum is full of gunsmiths that can help you through it & help you to keep it 922r compliant so the ATF doesn't get on you.
stan

No P64!

Post by stan »

You boys need to work out if you think the P-64 bites that bad ???
Sgt P

No P64!

Post by Sgt P »

Hey Stan,
I have no problem with the P-64s kick. I am used to slow moving .45acp projecticles and have been shooting and training the military kids with the old Colt workhorse .45 Government. That was until they adopted the M9. ;) Sgt P.
hairypolack

No P64!

Post by hairypolack »

paulski wrote:My Girl Helped me come up with a cheap & effective solution for all the comfort problems for the P-64!!!! It softens both the recoil & the sharp trigger when properly installed!

We call it the P-64 Maxi-Grip! :D

I am selling them for $19.95 + S&H

P.M. If interested!! :P
that is just wrong on so many levels
stan

No P64!

Post by stan »

I have no problem with the P-64s kick. I am used to slow moving .45acp projecticles and have been shooting and training the military kids with the old Colt workhorse .45 Government. That was until they adopted the M9. ;) Sgt P.

Thanks Sarge, I thought it was just me
soram

No P64!

Post by soram »

paulski wrote:My Girl Helped me come up with a cheap & effective solution for all the comfort problems for the P-64!!!! It softens both the recoil & the sharp trigger when properly installed!

Nice idea! :o +1, but my wife has a "frog bucket" full of them so I don't need anymore "manhole covers" (ahem...I mean Maxi-Grips, sorry)! :P

Ross
LIFE NRA MEMBER
3x Polish P64 (1969, 1972 & 1974)
Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .40 Black
victorcreed

No P64!

Post by victorcreed »

thats hillarious. I dont think mine has much issue with comfort for the grip, nor do i have any issues with recoil. although im used to shooting a .45 i think this little gun fires great, and is very accurate.
tooldawg99

No P64!

Post by tooldawg99 »

Sorry, but I am in the dark here. I have several CCW in my stash, and they include a S&W 042, a 3-inch K-frame S&W model 65, the Glock 19 and 26, the very nice CZ-82, and the P64.

I have never had a single FTF, FTE or jam on the p64. It is BONE stock. Didn't change a spring, didn't change the grips. Clean it, shoot it, clean it again...and carry it everywhere. I have never been "bitten", altho the proper hold is the key to shooting any smaller pistol, and I think that is more the issue here than the P64 design or "kick".

It shoots a pretty nicely punched cartridge, but recoil is not nearly as much as shooting a J-frame snub with hot .38 loads.

I agree with the poster who said maybe some of you boys need to hit the gym or develop some wrist/arm strength. I find no fault at all with the P64, and think some of the issues posted here are a result of efforts to "re-blue", lighten the trigger pull, and/or change springs to tame the recoil of the little Pole. All of which is totally not needed, IMHO.

In short, if the P64 is too much gun shooting too much of a cartridge, there is always the .22 in a 6-inch barrel for you to consider. And before you accuse me of being a Gorilla, my 12 yr old daughter shot the P64, as did her older sisters, and NONE showed any cuts or blood blisters, nor did they think the recoil was any sort of issue... maybe it just runs in the family!
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

No P64!

Post by beasleydano »

I suppose that shooting technique has a lot to do with felt recoil. I have a friend who regularly shoots .45 ACP but complained about the recoil of the P64. I joked with him and asked if he needed some shooting lessons & he responded that I could kiss his a**.
donw

No P64!

Post by donw »

Hey Paulski,
Are the used ones any cheaper?
donw

No P64!

Post by donw »

I suffered a bloody finger shooting my 1971 P-64.UNTIL,I replaced the hammer spring,and the recoil spring.Now,its entirely manageable,and a joy to shoot.
Don
lagavulin62

No P64!

Post by lagavulin62 »

oh I had to go back for a second look. didn't realize that was a maxi pad. your real sick dude!
jpnjross

No P64!

Post by jpnjross »

I agree with Stan. I bought a p-64 after shooting one because everyone complains about the recoil. A 240 pound mechanic finds the pistol a gem for size and and though I don' t have huge hands my fingers aren't bleeding and no they are not numb. I have not changed springs nor do I intend to. The gun functions well in my mind the way that it is. Grab it hold it and aim well and let the gun do the rest. It is probably my favorite pistol that I have purchased so far but than again I like the black sheep. My brother turned me on to this pistol and I'm glad he did. never a FTF or FTE I'm thinking about a second one just to have in case. Can you think of a better firearm to have in a crunch situation than a military firearm. All bs set aside function before comfort.
Last edited by jpnjross on October 28th, 2009, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.