Picking up my p-64 from j&g....what to expect.....

Info, pictures, advice...
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

Hello all, haven't been around here much for awhile. I sold my first p-64 (like a fool, regreted it), tonight am supposed to pick up my second from j&g at my dealers house. Also ordered an extra mag. What can I expect? Has the quality on these gone down, or stayed pretty good? As in, are they near the bottom of the barrel yet? I am pumped. If it feeds silver bear h/p its likely to be a ccw weapon. If not, it might still be with fmj......
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Tough call. I usually buy 5 at a time from J&G and it seems I always get one or two that have horrible trigger pulls (easily fixed with Wold springs). Otherwise they are in excellent shape with maybe slight wear near the muzzle (easily covered with a dab of cold bluing). I haven't had any real trouble with J&G's guns.
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

awesome.....any pics possible?
eagle71

Post by eagle71 »

RuskieGL, I received mine from J&G about two months ago. That's the second pistol that I've purchased from them, and (like the first one) was better than advertised. VG+ to E- condition, hardly any wear on the exterior. Over 200 rounds thru it so far (Silver Bear ball & HP ammo) with no misfires or stovepipes. Only problem was the trigger guard pin would start to slide out after shooting, but fixed that with some tips from this website. Overall pleased w. J&G.

Here's some pics:

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

The latest batch

All work and are in very good condition.
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

how do you fix the trigger guard pin issue? I saw a thread on here about a p-64 coming apart during firing because the pin came out......
eagle71

Post by eagle71 »

Under the forum, "Modifications, Fixes and Repairs", look at the post titled, "Trigger Guard Hinge Pin". You'll find some good solutions there to keep the hinge pin in place.

Have you picked up your P-64 yet? Forgot to mention in my earlier post that the gun was pretty clean of excess oil when I got mine. I did a basic clean, and it was ready to shoot.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

no, wasn't able to pick it up tonight....should have it by the latest at tommarow night.....HOPEING for a good one. This is going to be a ccw piece...
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by martilyo »

Just be sure to take it apart and clean it really well and polish the feed ramp. I rarely had a misfeed after the feed ramp was polished with my Dremel tool. Next, buy a spare mag if it doesn't come with an extra.
Finally, the cheapest place I have found to buy 9x18 ammo is www.thesportsmansguide.com when you join their "club" I have found it is woth the price to join because I normally buy no less than 250 rounds at a time. Here's a coupon code which will save you $10 on any order of $99 or more, with or without joining the club: SG293 expires 12/31/09. This code can be used multiple times.
crow

Post by crow »

ruskiegunlover wrote:Hello all, haven't been around here much for awhile. I sold my first p-64 (like a fool, regreted it), tonight am supposed to pick up my second from j&g at my dealers house. Also ordered an extra mag. What can I expect? Has the quality on these gone down, or stayed pretty good? As in, are they near the bottom of the barrel yet? I am pumped. If it feeds silver bear h/p its likely to be a ccw weapon. If not, it might still be with fmj......
I just got mine fro J&G. I was a little sad when I got it. Tho, its a solid piece, its well worn. The magazine floorplate is nicked and chipped some. The red dot is almost all gone. no big deal but it shows the wear. You can see wear marks under the safety lever. The decocker/safety is really sticky and hard to rotate. I soaked this gun twice in solvent, and it helped some, but the safety really has a bad "catch" in it. Almost audible. There may be a fix I don't know yet.
It has lots of wear marks.
over all I am happy with the gun. It shoots great. The DA trigger is very hard. I knew it would be from reading here, but it was harder than I expected and has "crunchy" feeling. My friend got one the same day, we ordered them together, his is in better shape as far as wear. And his safety lever is smoother.
I saw so many on this forum say that theirs looked almost like new, so I was a little disappointed in mine. But for the money, it's all good. I hoped soaking it would smooth out the actions better. I hope yours is pristine. Mine isn't..lol
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

WOW.....Making me nervous. If I get a bad one, I may send it back. I need a good one for concealed carry, not a worn out beater. HOPING for a good one. Won't find out until next friday night though.....dealer was gone all weekend. Also picking up my new yugo underfolder.....
eagle71

Post by eagle71 »

Crow, sorry to hear that your P-64 was less than expected. I'm curious though, did you pay the extra $10 to have J&G hand pick for you? I did that with mine, and was very satisfied with the pistol J&G sent me. It may be also that they're reaching the end of the lot for this particular handgun. Glad that it shoots straight for you though.

You can get some Testors model paint and fill in the red dot. Try using the end of a toothpick to apply the red paint.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Maybe they are getting to the last of them. I see that most everyone else has sold out.
crow

Post by crow »

ruskiegunlover wrote:WOW.....Making me nervous. If I get a bad one, I may send it back. I need a good one for concealed carry, not a worn out beater. HOPING for a good one. Won't find out until next friday night though.....dealer was gone all weekend. Also picking up my new yugo underfolder.....
I hope I didn't come across as saying mine was a warn out beater. I didn't mean that at all. It was more like many or most were saying theirs was like new. SO I was a little disappointed. THe red dot is just that a painted red dot. No big deal. The soaking helped some, and there are tutorials here on taking them apart and making them better. I haven't done that. THe decocker won't be used much, and its better than it was after a few soaks.. THe gun shoots great. And, they are built like steel hammers..lol..so this one will be around a long time. I wasn't expecting a showpiece. Like I said its a solid gun. Literally. ANd for the price, heck I got a good deal. SOrry If I worried you.. This gun will be around for a long time. I doubt I ever carry it for CCW. I have others that are better suited. But I love having this old gun. It's a relic and shoots well. More accurate than I expected too. ;)
crow

Post by crow »

Eagle71 wrote:Crow, sorry to hear that your P-64 was less than expected. I'm curious though, did you pay the extra $10 to have J&G hand pick for you? I did that with mine, and was very satisfied with the pistol J&G sent me. It may be also that they're reaching the end of the lot for this particular handgun. Glad that it shoots straight for you though.

You can get some Testors model paint and fill in the red dot. Try using the end of a toothpick to apply the red paint.
Howdy Mr Eagle. No, they weren't offering the hand pick option actually. My friend is the one who made the purchase and he called them first. The guy on the phone said they had a lot of them left, over a thousand. And almost all were in better than advertised shape. Who know's another member here said they told them they were gettin low on inventory. WHo do you believe??
I still consider it a good deal. The red dot is no big deal. Just cosmetic. I aint much of a gunsmith, I haven't had the balls to take mine apart all the way and see whats causing the decocker to be so stiff and crunchy. I have cleaned it several times, soaked it in solvent, then in diesel, and oiled it well. Its a little better than it was. Usable. I might try a little weaker spring but I doubt it. It is what it is.
I wasn't implying that it wasn't a good buy, or that others shouldn't buy one. Sorry if I conveyed that message. These old guns are built like tanks. A little TLC and I'm sure it will work fine. A few nicks and a crunchy decoker aint the end of the world. Maybe I expected too much as far us how "like new" it was going to be. It's not as good as the two others I have seen close up. The guy that first turned me on to these has one that looks brand new. I bought a used gun for a good price. I am happy with my purchase.