Anyone purchased the new unissued P-64 from Ioinc?

Info, pictures, advice...
jimhadar

Post by jimhadar »

I am a new member and just purchased a P-64 from the local show. It looks OK and performs great. I am so pleased with the small size and weight I am thinking of getting a second one. Has anyone purchased one of the new unissued P-64's from Ioinc for $199? Is it really new and unissued. Can anyone comment on what they got when they bought one from them. Was it really as nice as they stated? ???
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

jimhadar,
I got one about 2 months ago, 3rd variant and it is unissued and super clean. I did break it down to clean and inspect all parts as I do with all my weapons. ;)

I.O. Inc was excellent to deal with and put up with my 100 or so questions about everything from spare parts ( not available ) to fit, finnish and differant variants. Service was top notch. I went with them as the local gun shop here in town uses them quite a bit for their weapons. It was worth the $199 for mine. :) Sgt P.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Sgt P. wrote:jimhadar,
I got one about 2 months ago, 3rd variant
I'm aware of two versions - different hammers, etc. Are you saying there is a third version?
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
jimhadar

Post by jimhadar »

This is good to hear. Did you have to pay the $35 shipping or did they offer you other options? I don't know what version to get. The one I have is a 1972 with the triangular hammer and the letter "A" stamped on the butt. Which version/revision is better? A round hammer would be nice but the triagular one is definately easy to cock with my large hands. I see some have the thumb rest. Is this a negative? My 1972 does not have the thumb rest.

I got one about 2 months ago, 3rd variant and it is unissued and super clean. I did break it down to clean and inspect all parts as I do with all my weapons. ;)

I.O. Inc was excellent to deal with and put up with my 100 or so questions about everything from spare parts ( not available ) to fit, finnish and differant variants. Service was top notch. I went with them as the local gun shop here in town uses them quite a bit for their weapons. It was worth the $199 for mine. :) Sgt P.
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

Torpeau,
;) Sent you a PM on dates/variations. Sgt P.

Jimhadar,
I got some good :) advice from Norm Sutton here on the forum when I first joined up. He advised that the 3rd variation, mfg dates 1973-1977 with the triangular hammer were good to go.

I took his advice and got an excellent P-64 from I.O. Inc in Monroe, NC. They gave me a break on shipping so it was only $20, but then again I live in FL and it isn't that far from NC. Sgt P.
Last edited by Sgt P on September 22nd, 2009, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oakchas

Post by oakchas »

Irecently purchased 3 from IO... Unissued? Were supposed to be.
One had a new (unissued) holster, with correct cleaning rod.
one had used holster and an incorrect cleaning rod
one had a very worn holster with the correct cleaning rod.

As to the guns themselves... they may have been unissued.

I am not too disappointed, but JG sales has (or had) them for less...
jimhadar

Post by jimhadar »

How did the pistols look? I am curious to whether the bluing was all there, no rust, clean bore etc.

I just sold the 1972 this past weekend. The finish was just not up to snuff and the pin slipping out was too much. It shot beautifully with ball and hollow points. I know many don't care how they look but I do.

The guy that bought it didn't want the holster and cleaning rod and I was glad because I might get an unissued one from IO inc. Now I will have the holster to store the gun in.

I must confess the P-64 cut me at the base of my thumb and put a huge blood blister on my trigger finger when I shot it with the full 27 pound double action pull. I was curious to see if I could pull the full 27 pounds with accuracy in case an emergency and I did not have time to cock the hammer. Well I hit close to the bullseye!

Even so I still I am probably going to get another one. I just want it to be very nice. I just hope I do not have to be a gunsmith as I have no interest in tinkering with the internals. I just want to clean it and use it.

oakchas wrote:Irecently purchased 3 from IO... Unissued? Were supposed to be.
One had a new (unissued) holster, with correct cleaning rod.
one had used holster and an incorrect cleaning rod
one had a very worn holster with the correct cleaning rod.

As to the guns themselves... they may have been unissued.

I am not too disappointed, but JG sales has (or had) them for less...
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

jimhadar, Wolfe makes hammer springs that will ease the DA situation, recoil spring will take care of the recoil. Many donot change them out, everyone is different. I named my beast, Lil' Sweetie after changing out springs. 20 LB. recoil,18lb hammer. She was a little b _ _ _ _ before. I have have smaller hands. She's actually more managable with stock grips and Hogue jr. slip ons. But, she's really dressed to kill with a set Dennis's oil rubbed walnut grips, and Dickfunks pancake and dual mag carrier in mahogany brown, she's one classy looking Polish babe. Even if she does have hair on her upper lip.
Last edited by rottenrick on September 28th, 2009, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oakchas

Post by oakchas »

jimhadar wrote:How did the pistols look? I am curious to whether the bluing was all there, no rust, clean bore etc.

I just sold the 1972 this past weekend. The finish was just not up to snuff and the pin slipping out was too much. It shot beautifully with ball and hollow points. I know many don't care how they look but I do.

The guy that bought it didn't want the holster and cleaning rod and I was glad because I might get an unissued one from IO inc. Now I will have the holster to store the gun in.

I must confess the P-64 cut me at the base of my thumb and put a huge blood blister on my trigger finger when I shot it with the full 27 pound double action pull. I was curious to see if I could pull the full 27 pounds with accuracy in case an emergency and I did not have time to cock the hammer. Well I hit close to the bullseye!

Even so I still I am probably going to get another one. I just want it to be very nice. I just hope I do not have to be a gunsmith as I have no interest in tinkering with the internals. I just want to clean it and use it.
The guns themselves were very nice. bores were clean. no rust.

Many have said the ones at J&G are just as nice (J&G claims very good + condition) for $159 with 1 mag, extra mag is $20, shipping is less than IO and you can buy the spring kits from them at the same time.

Messing with the internals in this case, for the trigger pull and recoil spring, is very minor and very easy to do.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

torpeau wrote:
I got one about 2 months ago, 3rd variant
I'm aware of two versions - different hammers, etc. Are you saying there is a third version?

There has been other versions of the p-64, but they were prototypes and were never in service. Officially this is only two versions of the P-64.

In the late 50's the TT 7.62x25 pistol was to be replaced, there were two pistols that were being considered, a Model M [.380] and the Model W [9x18]. The Model M [380] was selected but redesigned with a improved slide catch and to use the Makarov round [9x18], so in 1965 the P64 [CZAK] entered service from the Luczinik Arms Factory in Radom for the Army, Police and Security Forces as their new sidearm.

In '72 the trigger mechanism was slightly modified and the hammer was changed from a round hammer to a triangular hammer, the second and last version of the P-64.

There was an attempt also around that same time [72'] to redesign the P-64, between '72 - '73 till 1978 three different prototypes were designed, P-70, P-75 and P-78, but none were selected as the the sidearm for either the Army, Police or Security Forces, they all were abandoned in favor of the P-83.
POINT SHOOTER
probyt

Post by probyt »

According to Ioinc at noon, today they are out of stock.
jimhadar

Post by jimhadar »

I called a week ago to purchase one and got the same response. They said it might not be until November before they get some more. I would try J&G but it is a crap shoot and I would not be happy if I got a bad one. :(

probyt wrote:According to Ioinc at noon, today they are out of stock.