magazine falling out

Info, pictures, advice...
jhandy

magazine falling out

Post by jhandy »

Ive had my p-64 for about 3 months now. I have put about 300 rounds through it. Every once in a wile the mag would fall out, usually on the last round. yesterday, went for a labor day trip to the range, and it fell out 4 times in about 30 or 40 rounds, and not just on the last round in the mag. Any one els have this problem, and any advice? Oh, and by the Way i have two mags, one that came with it from a local gun shop, and one i got from J&G, and it happened to both of them. Thanks.
protector

magazine falling out

Post by protector »

The only thing I can possibly think of it being is a funky mag catch or spring for the catch located at the bottom of the grips... :o Norm should be along shortly... :-*
Last edited by protector on September 8th, 2009, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
daytonaknight

magazine falling out

Post by daytonaknight »

Did you change the hammer spring? Some people change the hammer spring to make the double action trigger pull lighter. The hammer spring is also what applies pressure to the mag release. If this spring has been replaced with a lighter version or was installed incorrectly, it might not be strong enough to hold the mag in.
Last edited by daytonaknight on September 8th, 2009, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhandy

magazine falling out

Post by jhandy »

I didn't change the spring, but i got it used at a local shop. someone else may have, although the da pull is still hard, so i doubt it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

magazine falling out

Post by normsutton »

jhandy
someone probably ground down the original spring try to make it lighter and all that dose is make the mag drop without making it much lighter also check and see if it still has the spring washer in it, these spring have to be a certain length or the don't work

also can you post a pix of it with the grips off
NORM
Last edited by normsutton on September 8th, 2009, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jhandy

magazine falling out

Post by jhandy »

thanks Norm. here are the photos. I hope they are of the correct parts. Doesn't look modified to me, but thats not saying much. Image
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

magazine falling out

Post by normsutton »

jhandy

I think this one of my P-64 springs that I took out of one of mine ,

count the coils on yours then count the ones on this one, yours is to short , IMO it has a PPK spring in it go here http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/PolishNF.html and order a three pack and do not order the 17 # its to light , and that should do you

go here to change spring viewtopic.php?t=1583
NORM
Last edited by normsutton on September 9th, 2009, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jhandy

magazine falling out

Post by jhandy »

New springs orderd. Thanks Norm. Which spring should i try first?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

magazine falling out

Post by normsutton »

jhandy

that's up to you, every one is different

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jhandy

magazine falling out

Post by jhandy »

well the new springs came yesterday, and i put in the 18 lb one. it is much stiffer than what was in it. I would guess it was 15lb or so. Will take it to the range soon and see if it helped, but im sure it will. Thanks again.
Jhandy
jhandy

magazine falling out

Post by jhandy »

went to the range. Put 3 mags through it, and none of them fell out! Another one solved thanks to Norm!!!
hairypolack

magazine falling out

Post by hairypolack »

yeah norm is pretty much the go to guy with this stuff :)
jhandy

magazine falling out

Post by jhandy »

he is, but looking back, daytonaknight did call it first. I forgot to thank him also,..... THANKX Datona!!!