16# hammer spring report

Info, pictures, advice...
gunut

16# hammer spring report

Post by gunut »

Well got to the range this weekend. 16# hammer spring installed, polished feed ramp, Zee's grips.

I used Wolf ammo as the "acid" test because my gun did not feed it well before polishing the feed ramp.

Zee's flat panel grips were a joy, even had less perceived recoil, and the accuracy was stunning, did the flat grips help?? I was having so much fun too bad I had to stop at 3/4 box of ammo.

Clip dropped every 1-2 rounds, this negated the test of my polish job on the feed ramp. Stock spring is going back in pronto. I shoot SA only anyway. 16# spring is a waste of time and dangerous in a CCW defensive situation.
Last edited by gunut on August 15th, 2006, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

16# hammer spring report

Post by bzinggg »

I think you've come to exactly the right conclusion.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

16# hammer spring report

Post by papabear »

+1 with bzinggg

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
gunut

16# hammer spring report

Post by gunut »

bzinggg,papabear

You guys rock!!! I was expecting controversy on my test. If it works for some people that is great, but I will not sacrifice reliability for a soft DA pull. Actually the P-64 is the first auto that I really fell for because of it's accuracy. Once I have 100% reliability ( and I think I will with S & B ammo ) this is my baby. I was always a revolver guy because of safety, reliability, accuracy.

This is a great forum. Like they used to say on Dragnet; "Just the facts" : )
tunnelrat

16# hammer spring report

Post by tunnelrat »

If it works for some people that is great, but I will not sacrifice reliability for a soft DA pull.
Bingo! It works for some people.

For example, it works just fine for me. I've been fortunate in that both my P-64's have turned into sweet shooting pistols in both single action and in double action. The spring change was the best thing that ever happened to these little guns (thanks, Cruiser; thanks, NORM).
I shoot SA only anyway. 16# spring is a waste of time and dangerous in a CCW defensive situation.
I've been able to put several hundred rounds (including 115g Silver Bear) through mine with no problems whatever. I have no qualms at all regarding the 16# spring -- even in a self-defense scenario.

I am frankly sorry to learn that sometimes the lighter spring causes mag drop difficulties in some guns. However, it is pleasant to post on a board where we don't have to insist we all do things the same way. Besides, as you mention, many of us only shoot SA anyway...
gunut

16# hammer spring report

Post by gunut »

Yes, this is not about one fix fits all. It did not work on my 1977, and my 1973 is a collector, just puttin er away. Some may not like flat panel grips. I didn't think I would. Boy did I change my mind. "Revolver Guy" disclaimer translates, zero tolerance for an auto that jams or is not accurate, or does not function properly. The P-64 does everything, and at a price that is an all time bargain.

And I thought my bird dog was the only one that didn't agree 110% with me all the time. I am,after all, her Master. That is why I pick up her kennel : )
Last edited by gunut on August 15th, 2006, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

16# hammer spring report

Post by normsutton »

If you still want a lighter DA trigger pull and the 16# doesn't work for your gun you might want to try the 18# or the 19# I like the 18# in all 4 of mine
but the heaviest bullet I shoot in mine is 109 grn. 363 dia. lead bullet with 4 grn. of W 231 in it. all my store bought ammo is 95grn.

HAMMER SPRINGS
Hammer springs below are common to Walther pistol models PP, PPK, PPKS and P-38, 7.65mm and 9mm(.380) calibers.

Reduced Power...: 14, 16, 17, 18 and 19 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 20 Lb.

As someone else said on this forum if you have kid's in the home
the stock spring in the P-64 is added safety

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunut

16# hammer spring report

Post by gunut »

Norm,

I think an 18# spring might work, very good suggestion. I put the stock spring back in, cleaned and lubed everything and it does seem the more you use the P-64 the better the DA feels. I am now ready to test out my polished feed ramp and new Zee grips again.

Yes the DA pull is a safety feature for sure. And trigger pull like recoil is somewhat of a perception thing to a point anyway. 8-)
Last edited by gunut on August 17th, 2006, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

16# hammer spring report

Post by rlj102468 »

I like the heavy pull, it's not like you have to worry about DA pull after the first round any ways. I feel safer carrying a chambered round while the safety does not have to be on, very low chance of pulling the trigger by mistake.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

16# hammer spring report

Post by bzinggg »

rlj,
Please start putting the safety on when you have a round in. An accidental bump to the hammer while you are carrying could put a real hurtin' on you otherwise.
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

16# hammer spring report

Post by rlj102468 »

It's only when I am walking to and from my 2nd job late nite in Ybor City, Not a great part of town unless you are a wino, bum, drug pusher, or hooker. All other time the safety is on. Thanks for the advice. I don't need a gun shot wound any time soon.
gunut

16# hammer spring report

Post by gunut »

I gotta second bzinggg, the inertia of even dropping the gun could result in a discharge.
Safety first.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

16# hammer spring report

Post by papabear »

rlj,

Is Ybor City any where near Tampa off Nebraska Ave, if so, it was a bad place back in the middle to late 60's. I was stationed at McDill AFB back then [Strike Command, I think now called Central Command]. We use to go there after the bars closed in Tampa for all nighters, phew, I'm glad those days are over. I bet Ybor is really bad now, in 67 they had a bad riot there, burned down a lot of business and homes. There use to be a really good restaurant there, uh, the Columbian House or something like that, really good Spanish type food.

+1 on what bzinggg and gunut said about the safety, the heavy DA on the P-64 is a safety feature, but putting the safety on is a good habit to get into.

+1 also on what [tunnelrat] said about about it being pleasant to post on a board where we don't have to insist we all do things the same way.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

16# hammer spring report

Post by rlj102468 »

PapaBear,

It is one in the same. I work at the other end of 7th Ave. They have cleaned up a lot of Ybor, put in alot of good bars, clubs, and eateries. They also have some nice stores and movie houses. As long as you stay on the main parts, it is not so bad. The area I work in is to the East of there and there is alot of drugs and bums. I work in a custom motorcycle shop called the Wrench from 5:30 till 9:00 or 10:00 at night, so when I come out to lock the place up, my back is turned away from everything till the alarm sets. That is why I keep my gun hot, I dont want to have to try to remember the safety in a stress situation at that time at nite. I run with the safety on the rest of the time. I glad that so many people that carry and own guns use them the right way, and offer advice to others. I always preach control and safety to my kids and wife. Keep up the great postings. Thanks, Bobby J.
spot

16# hammer spring report

Post by spot »

I ordered a # 16 Wolff spring on the 11 and it came today . I followed the directions that I found on this site ( which was very good ) got everything back together and went outside with 3 different types of ammo . I had some Georgia Arms hollow point , Russian FMJ , and some Russian hollow point . I shot some of each type without a problem . But I am trying to get used to keeping my little finger under the mag , it keeps the slide from getting to the web of my hand. Everything functioned great , and it was real smooth .
Spot