Tested Out My New Spare Mag...

Info, pictures, advice...
nitrousnoel

Post by nitrousnoel »

I purchased my new spare mag from Keep Shooting. I tested it out this past weekend. This was my first time shooting the P-64. I followed the break-in instructions and I believe its going to be alright. I had no jams or any problems. I fired over 50 round mix of silver bear fmj/hollowpoints. I also tested 2 full clips of brass hornady hp ammo to make sure it was going to be reliable. So I give it a thumbs up!

P.S. The DA is a beast to pull!
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

nitrousnoel wrote:P.S. The DA is a beast to pull!
Yes, it is, but I've never fired my P-64s DA, so it's okay with me.

The new magazines work okay for me, too.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

torpeau wrote: The new magazines work okay for me, too.
I need to eat some crow.

Unlike a couple weeks ago when I used two of these aftermarket magazines for the first time, today they were a problem. They seemed thicker and more difficult to insert into the P-64 and I had several failures to feed.

I had used one or two other P-64 magazines from Keep Shooting before and they worked fine. I'll try these same troublesome two from today next week in another P-64 to see what happens, but it doesn't look good.

Addition:
After further examination, the problem with these being difficult to insert is caused by the dents the ammo is putting in the back of the magazines. Of course that means that there are bumps on the outside -- soft metal. I guess somehow the bumps also contribute to the failures-to-feed. These mags will work fine several times, but when these dents/bumps form after using 4 to 6 times, they are very unreliable.
Last edited by torpeau on August 19th, 2009, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

The mags that are jammin up came from Keep Shooting?
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I got my spares from J&G, DIRTY BUT THEY WORK. (after cleaning of course).
jhandy

Post by jhandy »

i got mine from jg also. not dirty, and work great.
cherryman69

Post by cherryman69 »

I got my spare Mag from J&G was used but very good condition, works fine.
tokarev22

Post by tokarev22 »

My spare mags were from J&G also. They were oil soaked and in very good condition.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Here's more on those new KS mags.
I don't ever remember having to break in magazines before, but these come with directions about putting 2 rounds in, firing them, putting 3 in, firing them, putting 4 in, firing them, putting in 5 and firing them. Any problems and you are supposed to repeat some steps.

Has anyone heard of breaking in magazines before?

Well, last year when I used two of these, I followed their procedure when I first used them and had no problems. I did not follow the break-in procedure with the two that I had problems with a couple weeks ago. Today I broke in a new one and used one of the original KS mags that I had broken in last year and these both performed fine. Bumps formed on the back, as with the other KS mags, but no problems with 60 or 70 rounds using these two.

BTW, KS offered to take back any of these that were troublesome.

Last edited by torpeau on September 2nd, 2009, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nitrousnoel

Post by nitrousnoel »

Ok, I've just recently tested mine in between dove hunting last weekend. It worked flawlessly plus I sent an email reply back from one of those discount emails they (Keep Shooting.com) sent me. They stated that if there are any problems, then for you to send it back to them. Mine doesn't have the bumps like yours. It looks like the factory. I also followed the break-in procedures and had no problems at all. So you may have got a bad batch. I think I will order 2 more when they have that 20% discount code.
Last edited by nitrousnoel on September 12th, 2009, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottinillinois

Post by scottinillinois »

I tried one of the "cheaper" mags that require the break-in, and it worked fine, but like the other story in this string, it became increasingly more difficult to push into the bottom of the gun. Eventually I tossed it in the trash because it was far more trouble than it was worth. I will only buy original mags, even if they are used.
paulski

Post by paulski »

torpeau wrote:Here's more on those new KS mags.
I don't ever remember having to break in magazines before, but these come with directions about putting 2 rounds in, firing them, putting 3 in, firing them, putting 4 in, firing them, putting in 5 and firing them. Any problems and you are supposed to repeat some steps.

Has anyone heard of breaking in magazines before?

Well, last year when I used two of these, I followed their procedure when I first used them and had no problems. I did not follow the break-in procedure with the two that I had problems with a couple weeks ago. Today I broke in a new one and used one of the original KS mags that I had broken in last year and these both performed fine. Bumps formed on the back, as with the other KS mags, but no problems with 60 or 70 rounds using these two.

BTW, KS offered to take back any of these that were troublesome.

Holy WOW!!

Scrap those tin men!!
Keep the spring & maybe re-build an old factory mag, but those are unreliable, cheap & therefore dangerous.

I will not keep an unreliable piece of firearm related equipment in my possession.

If you grab it in an emergent situation, You just bet your life on crap.

Cut your losses!
If a bullet can dent a mag & it wasn't the result of a catastrophic failure (kaboom), the mag is trash. Salvage the spring & toss the mag!
yukoncharlie

Post by yukoncharlie »

KEEPSHOOTING mags are crap. I know I ordered 2 and they would jam after the first shot with ball ammo. I am attempting to get a refund and am having all types of grief from KEEPSHOOTING. Save yourself some money,time and grief and buy the used surplus mags that are made for the gun.