polishing feed ramp...

Info, pictures, advice...
truth

polishing feed ramp...

Post by truth »

I went to the range today, my '69 p-64 didn't feed two rounds, with the same clip, half way through the clip with Lake City fmj.The bullet was lodged almost into the tube but no cigar. I have run a couple hundred rounds of this through the tube and it's the first time it didn't eat anything I fed it. I was wondering if some one would take me to school on the way to polish a feed ramp. I have a dremmel with felt pads, but no rouge, what should I use??
On the other hand it totally out shot a Beretta 92F 9mm. Close or long range the groups that the p-64 shot were tighter and closer to the bull's eye, than the Beretta. I was ready to lay down $350.00 for this gently used 92F but I think I'd rather have another P-64.

Any help on the polishing would be greatly appreciated.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

polishing feed ramp...

Post by normsutton »

TRUTH
this the way one of theguy's on this formu did it

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1132934364

I did it the same way except I use a dental hand piece

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
truth

polishing feed ramp...

Post by truth »

Thanks, I don't think it could hurt any gun. What are your thoughts? Have you trimmed any of your clips as I read about on here?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

polishing feed ramp...

Post by normsutton »

NO
ALL I HAD TO DO IS BEND THE SLIDE STOP ON 2 OF MINE BUT OTHER THAN THAT I HAVE DONE NOTHING TO THE MAGS

JUST REMEMBER TRY NOT TO TAKE METAL OFF THE FEED RAMP JUST POLISH

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jhm123

polishing feed ramp...

Post by jhm123 »

truth:

I've always used the rouge marked "Stainless" (I believe it's 2nd finest available) on carbon steel. There are a bunch of different Dremel pads & the only one I've found soft enough are the white, round ones that "screw" on to the arbor. If it's a little large, you can trim or polish by hand w/ 1200-grit sandpaper.

JHM
truth

polishing feed ramp...

Post by truth »

Thanks!!!
mongo

polishing feed ramp...

Post by mongo »

I posted elsewhere on here but use the rounded pencil eraser looking tip for dremel and Turtle Wax polishing compound in the green or white with green label can. Do not worry about reforming the ramp or anything just get a smooth surface and knock down any burrs.

You will not be disappointed when you are done believe me.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

polishing feed ramp...

Post by nbender »

I used to post all of the time about polishing the feed ramp. But the Makarov I purchased to do chronograph tests with was unissued, and I didn't want to alter it so I could report failures to feed. It stumbled on 95-grain FMJ when I first used it. It wouldn't even feed bullets it was designed for.

But after 300 - 500 rounds, it would feed anything, including the worst of the old Silver Bear 120-grain. That's a Makarov, but the relationship to feeding ammunition through a P-64 is just the same.

I believe Glocks come with a 500-round break-in notice? Good advice. After carving the break on many a feed ramp, and using Flitz mettle polish on a piece of cotton wrapped around a pencil eraser, I now think that just going out and shooting the pistol is the best break-in. Or get to an open field, point the pistol downrange, and cycle the loaded slide without firing. The pistol will break itself in.
steve98664

polishing feed ramp...

Post by steve98664 »

I have been following Nbenders method. It went ok for my unissued Mak, but it has been so slow breaking in my P64. I may go for the polish method Mongo mentioned. I can't seem to find flitz anywhere, though I've seen lots of polish-only dremel stuff.

It may be that I haven't been firing it enough due to my safety drop issues. I'm gonna get a better spring from my local gunsmith if he has a close. but longer match next time I'm by there.

I have to say that with my new ivory zee grips and a solid safety, my P64 will be one of my more desirable firearms.